Just drove my new S3 home....whey hey !!!

VR GUY

Reaction score
Hi evryone:salute:....well as it says, just drove my first S3 home today about 150 miles over all kinds of roads from motorway to B roads & first impressions are very good indeed & definately chalk & cheese compared to my Golf 4motion i had last year!!
Its a pretty standard 2001 'X' reg facelift model with the 210bhp output (for now !!), its that very rare silver colour that you hardly ever see...lol with full black leather interior, all in all pretty good order & i'll get some pics up tomorrow when i've given it a good clean.
The only real problem i've discovered when i got home is the lack of a front splitter....for some reason i did'nt even notice this when i looked over it this morning:blush: Now what i want to know if anyone can tell me, are they easy enough to get a hold of & fit or has my schoolboy error gonna cost me big style.
Thanks in advance & this is a great site & no doubt i'll be on constantly asking stupid questions...

Cheers Andy

What front splitter, the S3 never came with a front splitter mate. Are you getting confused with the LCR splitter that alot of people fit.

If you want one of these LCR splitters then they are about £18 from Seat and an easy DIY fit, hope this helps mate.

Ha Ha....good start then:whistle2:....yeah you could well be right, i just thought they were standard to the S3's, oh well a pretty cheap first mod i suppose as i reckon they look pretty good.
Yeah i'll get some pics up tomorrow after i've introduced it to some hot soapy water & a sponge :laugh:

welcome , you will also notice that the botom of the front bumper looks like a chunk is missing but its jsut how its shaped lol

welcome , you will also notice that the botom of the front bumper looks like a chunk is missing but its jsut how its shaped lol

Yeah thats exactly what i thought, i presumed it was meant to have a small splitter on it....looks a bit strange really, i reckon they finish them off nicely with the LCR one on.
Oh yeah forgot to mention it has 18" rs4 alloys on & a front ARB fitted.

welcome to the club...not as sweet sounding as a Vr by a mile though

welcome to the club...not as sweet sounding as a Vr by a mile though

No, i reckon that sound is hard to beat & definately one of the sacrifices i've had to make to own a S3, hopefully it'll make up for it in other areas though:thumbsup:

I owned a well spec'd 4 motion and now own an S3 (couple of Imprezas in between).
The 4m felt quicker, sounded better but the S3 has more class if you know what i mean.
Enjoy the car
Nik.

Hi evryone:salute:....well as it says, just drove my first S3 home today about 150 miles over all kinds of roads from motorway to B roads & first impressions are very good indeed & definately chalk & cheese compared to my Golf 4motion i had last year!!
Its a pretty standard 2001 'X' reg facelift model with the 210bhp output (for now !!), its that very rare silver colour that you hardly ever see...lol with full black leather interior, all in all pretty good order & i'll get some pics up tomorrow when i've given it a good clean.
The only real problem i've discovered when i got home is the lack of a front splitter....for some reason i did'nt even notice this when i looked over it this morning:blush: Now what i want to know if anyone can tell me, are they easy enough to get a hold of & fit or has my schoolboy error gonna cost me big style.
Thanks in advance & this is a great site & no doubt i'll be on constantly asking stupid questions...

Cheers Andy

Welcome & congrats on the new motor! You have the best colour combination too (not that Im biased in anyway:whistle2:)

How does the S3 compare to the 4motion? I nearly bought one but was swayed by the quality/class & exclusivity (compared to the V6) of the S3.

Welcome & congrats on the new motor! You have the best colour combination too (not that Im biased in anyway:whistle2:)

How does the S3 compare to the 4motion? I nearly bought one but was swayed by the quality/class & exclusivity (compared to the V6) of the S3.
Well it feels a bit lighter on its feet if you know what i mean, i know the 4mo only had 204bhp buts thats only 6 ponies short & straight away i've noticed the S3 is much better on fuel aswell...not to mention the quality/class issue which i totally agree about, i just feel a bit more regal in it:o.k:....ha ha

By the way i don't think i can put pictures up yet either...:sadlike:

<a href=

just testing if i can manage the pics.....

I have discovered 1 slightly weird problem, when i start the engine....the boot opens, at first i thought i must be pressing the 'open boot' button on the fob when turning the key but its not that....anyone else come across this or have any ideas ??

Well it feels a bit lighter on its feet if you know what i mean, i know the 4mo only had 204bhp buts thats only 6 ponies short & straight away i've noticed the S3 is much better on fuel aswell...not to mention the quality/class issue which i totally agree about, i just feel a bit more regal in it:o.k:....ha ha

By the way i don't think i can put pictures up yet either...:sadlike:

I drove a V6 4Motion and my S3 when the power was standard back to back, the 2.8 V6 has flexibility in power that the S3 can only dream of, but there's no doubt that the S3 is the quicker machine once it's rolling. Turbo power will always give you a wallop of torque in the midrange, which pushes you in the seat when it spools up, but the V6 Golf can accellerate from engine idle speed in 4th gear and pull all the way to the red line all day long, with out breaking a sweat.