Just another day in the RS3

MBK

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Another fun day of making some rapid progress across Wales in the RS3.

It's been a day of surging past dawdling traffic. My passenger was stunned by the composure and sheer thrust of the RS3 whether the roads were wet or dry.

Exiting a roundabout up a long hill at full bore resulted in an appreciative nod from 2 bikers in a layby. "They liked that" was the observation from the passenger seat!

A long straight and no traffic in sight meant time for only one thing. Brake to a stop. Disengage the ESP. Select S on the gearbox (and sport for aural drama). Left foot on the brake and...grrrrr...3k revs and boom. 4.2 seconds later "That is incredible" is the response. The Michelins were warm and the road dry so this was a hooked up launch. 10s later the silence said enough.

All that fun and yet composed and comfortable at the same time managing 29.9mpg average over 220 miles, even with plenty of overtaking and some fun moments along the way.

Reactions: 8PARSY, monkeyboy_marcus, dbm and 4 others
Some details of the roads you were driving on be nice, lol and maybe some pics or video if you have so i can look on the map. :) x

Reactions: MBK
I've got to say, the 5-pot engine is something of a masterpiece. Having been out in several TTRS's and RS3's, they have an incredible balance of power to practicality that simply astounds me. I need one.

Reactions: 8PARSY, MBK and 45bvtc
Jb0o do it , ive always had a manual box,but now i,m getting used to the dsg and its awesome :)

Reactions: 45bvtc
Wish I could Kel, just left Uni so need to wait a few more years I think, haha.

I do love the DSG in my A3, though there are times I miss the manual box.. I the manual box to be a bit more involving at times.. but whenever I get that feeling I just slap it down into 'S' and all ill-feelings of the DSG box disappear!

I will make some more maps and videos (if I can make them to a high enough standard soon - my Go Pro is still away for repair :unsure:) of the great Welsh roads soon.

As for DSG it is properly amazing once you get used to it, a bit flat in D sometimes but utterly responsive in S and it means you can focus so much more attention on the road.

Hi mark i always use s mode and flicking the paddle down foot to floor really is a joy especially with the michelin pss :)

Reactions: MBK
Yep the Michelins add a new dimension to the fun, especially with the ESP off, hooked up was the word on this run. Get the PSS nice and warm and then launch it, the immediate traction with no delay or wheelspin is just mind blowing!

Cool esp will be off on sunday or monday :) not done launch yet ,need a long straight ,quiet road :)

You've got to launch the RS3 it's a true experience! 4.2 to 60 & 9.9 to 100 is crazy but it makes me want to experience the 2.7 to 60 and 5.5 to 100 in that tuned 700bhp GTR! I struggle to imagine that.

Reactions: ColeyRS3
You've got to launch the RS3 it's a true experience! 4.2 to 60 & 9.9 to 100 is crazy but it makes me want to experience the 2.7 to 60 and 5.5 to 100 in that tuned 700bhp GTR! I struggle to imagine that.

My GT-R is a std 12 MY 550 BHP (Manufacturers figures 2.84 0-60) and that made My RS3 (now sold) look pedestrianised but as an everyday useable Vehicle the RS3 would still win everytime

Reactions: R90 STL, 45bvtc and MBK
What's the benefit of disengaging ESP? Is it a requirement or launch control? Or does it make the car handle better?

I'm a wuss and only switched off ESP once when it was snowing as read somewhere that's what's recommended.

Turning the ESP makes the RS3 handle and flow through corners much better. With the ESP on even at moderate speeds you feel the system intervene, on turn in the car will reduce power and sometimes add a dab of brakes. You get the feeling of understeer. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports have much sharper turn in so make the ESP impact seem worse. Recently I left the system on joining a very wet roundabout and the ESP jumped in so hard it felt as if someone had pulled the handbrake on!

With a Quattro car (and FWD) it's safe to switch the ESP off. You will find the car hooks up better into corners and you can hold a consistent line, trimming with the throttle as required. Even in the very wet the grip levels and predictability are exceptional.

As for ESP on or off for launch...for cars that have had the latest update applied you have to leave ESP on. Pre update or update not required cars have to switch the ESP off.

Reactions: Real Thing
Cool esp will be off on sunday or monday :) not done launch yet ,need a long straight ,quiet road :)

John take a day out and come over to BroTek HQ - will take you about an hour mate and we will go for a spin across the A701. You will be able to use launch control there and see the diffrence with ESP off. Something I very rarely use.

Reactions: Kelza
Hi mark i will take you up on that , as in from blantyre so you not that far away and id get a detail after :)

Turned off the ESP yesterday after reading a few posts on here. Didn't go silly but put my foot down around a few roundabouts and corners and you certainly feel a big difference! Not quite drifting but certainly not as clinical as normal.

On a less fun note, I've had a couple of experiences with the brakes that lead me to conclude that they are not as good as previous - compromise between brake performance and noise I guess. This has been braking relatively hard from around 80 to turn a corner/roundabout and the ABS has kicked in/I've had to hit the pedal harder than expected towards the end of the manoeuvre. The first time I put it down to one-off but it has happened about half a dozen times now. Probably done about 2k miles with the new brakes now...

You should start to feel the rear of the car move around a little more, just a few degrees of angle rather than a full on drift. The RS3 tends to 'squirm' under you as the chassis does some work and the turn seems to pivot around your hips rather than the usual front biased feel. Once you get used to it you'll know from the sensations though your seat that you've got the car hooked up properly, then you can get back on the loud pedal earlier and feel the power move backwards. There really is a lot more grip than you initially think possible.

You should start to feel the rear of the car move around a little more, just a few degrees of angle rather than a full on drift. The RS3 tends to 'squirm' under you as the chassis does some work and the turn seems to pivot around your hips rather than the usual front biased feel. Once you get used to it you'll know from the sensations though your seat that you've got the car hooked up properly, then you can get back on the loud pedal earlier and feel the power move backwards. There really is a lot more grip than you initially think possible.

the TTRS gave me a scare when the back end stepped out a bit with the ESP on then it chucked it dead straight then did it again with the ESP off and was a great feeling nervous because I didn't want to crash haha but once you get used to it it's a great car.

Ooh that sounds a bit scary Morells, I've had nothing like that. Did it feel like the brakes had been applied or throttle cut - you might have been a bit bust to notice but thought I'd ask!

On a less fun note, I've had a couple of experiences with the brakes that lead me to conclude that they are not as good as previous - compromise between brake performance and noise I guess. This has been braking relatively hard from around 80 to turn a corner/roundabout and the ABS has kicked in/I've had to hit the pedal harder than expected towards the end of the manoeuvre. The first time I put it down to one-off but it has happened about half a dozen times now. Probably done about 2k miles with the new brakes now...

That sounds a lot like they've fitted much softer pads, as a result the tyres now have more grip than the pads can cope with hence the ABS gets busy. I know the squeal must have been annoying for those that had it but you couldn't fault the stopping power of the original pads.

Reactions: 45bvtc
That sounds a lot like they've fitted much softer pads, as a result the tyres now have more grip than the pads can cope with hence the ABS gets busy. I know the squeal must have been annoying for those that had it but you couldn't fault the stopping power of the original pads.

I'm NOT convinced...

I DOUBT oh so much that I'm going to have Audi change my original brake pad/caliper arrangement to this new ****...

My original brakes - pedal pressures/travel/etc. - are ace, absolutely A1, love 'em even....

As for the brake squeal? Well, you all know I've sorted that issue on my car! And the cost? It was £4,99 off eBay, plus 1.1/2 hours of an OAP's time and facilities to fit/apply.

Wrote to Audi with my recommendation... Wrote to Audi with my recommendation... Wrote to Audi with my recommendation... Wrote to Audi with my recommendation... Wrote to Audi with my recommendation... Wrote to Audi with my recommendation...

NO! Audi are gonna change the brake disc, the bra.......pad.... brake..han.. etc...

Reactions: 8PARSY, T-800 and MBK
What amazes me is the squealing Brembo issues ha been known about for many years on many cars. The shims (or even just a good dob of copper grease) are well know to cure it with road pads.

Once you go more aggressive with the pad material there is almost no way to stop it in my experience, the Performance Friction set up on my Evo used to rattle and squeak - occasionally - but blimey they were effective stoppers without one ounce of fade or disc warping even on back to back track days. I think of it as part of character of the car but I have learned in Audi land that isn't the way people see things!

Reactions: 8PARSY and 45bvtc
Ooh that sounds a bit scary Morells, I've had nothing like that. Did it feel like the brakes had been applied or throttle cut - you might have been a bit bust to notice but thought I'd ask!

Brakes applied slightly just to sort things out so doing its job I guess

Well, softer pads would account for the caking of brake dust around all wheels, having been cleaned a week ago, which is in excess of previous. I've also noted that the front Conti 5's are down to the last <3mm of tread, which may also account for lack of stopping power.

Reports of brake squeal re-occurence concern me, otherwise I'd be investing in the Michelin SS tyres to replace the stock fronts tmw... If this does come back, there really is no other like-for-like replacement though. Have kids, need the space, want the super performance!

Reactions: finchy256
I'm NOT convinced...

I DOUBT oh so much that I'm going to have Audi change my original brake pad/caliper arrangement to this new ****...

My original brakes - pedal pressures/travel/etc. - are ace, absolutely A1, love 'em even....

As for the brake squeal? Well, you all know I've sorted that issue on my car! And the cost? It was £4,99 off eBay, plus 1.1/2 hours of an OAP's time and facilities to fit/apply.

Wrote to Audi with my recommendation... Wrote to Audi with my recommendation... Wrote to Audi with my recommendation... Wrote to Audi with my recommendation... Wrote to Audi with my recommendation... Wrote to Audi with my recommendation...

NO! Audi are gonna change the brake disc, the bra.......pad.... brake..han.. etc...

Why then, did Audi go through all the expense and trouble of developing a new brake set up for the car, in the midst of a myriad of customer complaints, if anti-squeal shims are all that is needed to rectify the issue? Of course the development team would have been fully aware of the existence of anti-squeal shims - something they learn in kindergarten brake school.

Do you think there is any possibility that there were other issues discovered and resolved in the investigation process, that were not discussed with the public for obvious reasons?

Why then, did Audi go through all the expense and trouble of developing a new brake set up for the car, in the midst of a myriad of customer complaints, if anti-squeal shims are all that is needed to rectify the issue? Of course the development team would have been fully aware of the existence of anti-squeal shims - something they learn in kindergarten brake school.

Do you think there is any possibility that there were other issues discovered and resolved in the investigation process, that were not discussed with the public for obvious reasons?

Oh please go ask Audi pturner3; I've been asking them this same question ALL year. And if you get an answer, other than "we don't know", then please, please post the reply, so that we can all gain from understanding.

And for your second point, yes I do!

Reactions: 8PARSY
The thing is, Audi / Brembo seem to have taken the lets crack this walnut with this big F**king sledgehammer !!! route, If they'd taken the time to listen (I'm looking at you John) to someone who's had experience in sorting it the update would not be costing so much !!
And do not forget there are instances of Brake squeal returning, so this might not be solved yet (unless you strip the caliper down yourself and use some Ceratec)

With further consideraiton from an engineering perspective, it may be possible that there were material specification issues. I don't know this for certain, but it could be that permenant deformation was taking place in particular components. Although, this would not necessarily warrant an immediate safety issue.

Personally, from buying a car developed by an exclusive company such as Audi AG and Quattro Gmbh, I would disappointed if their solution was to simply fit anti-squeal shims. If the system is designed correctly, it should not need them. These products are designed by smart engineers, albeit ones that invariably are prone to the odd mistake. Of course, there will be activity going on behind the scenes that none of us are privy to.

What concerned me, is I seemed to recall suggestions and posts around some of the forums that almost incited that it was not necessary for anyone to rely on Audi for the fix, and it could be done at home. While I appreciate that this is very helpful to an otherwise very frustrating problem, and something perhaps that Audi could have adopted as an intermediate solution, it should be emphasised that now the fix is out, that people should be getting the correct upgrade applied.

More of an explanation on the root cause of the issue and how they have designed out the problem would be interesting. But as said, they may be reasons why a full explanation has not been released. The good news is, the fix is now available. So let's stop whining about it and move on.

...........What concerned me, is I seemed to recall suggestions and posts around some of the forums that almost incited that it was not necessary for anyone to rely on Audi for the fix,..........

From what I recall the consensus was that we should all register our complaint with Audi and while we wait for the official fix (which seemed to be taking forever), a temporary and proven fix was possible using the anti squeal shims.

There was more to the problem than just squealing brakes as this German article eludes to :-

Google Translate