Just about to buy.. .any advice?

lukus89

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys,
hoping for a bit of general advice on what to look out for.

I'm just about to buy an A6 black edition avant in Daytona grey.
Its got full Audi service history and looks incredible.

Just wondering, is there anything i should look out for? Any issues / things the dealer wouldnt want to disclose?

cheers

Reactions: Jakes2514
Need more information about the engine, gearbox, model year etc.

It's a 2013, 2.0 TDI S TRONIC 177 bhp.
Got heated seats and a load of other stuff too.

Cheers for reply

Make sure the gearbox has had oil changes done at the correct mileage. If not, walk away. Think it should be done every 37000 miles and if it's not due yet you need to take that into consideration as it costs a bit.

Make sure the gearbox has had oil changes done at the correct mileage. If not, walk away. Think it should be done every 37000 miles and if it's not due yet you need to take that into consideration as it costs a bit.
Cheers for reply Scott.
It's had them and has had plenty of services. Got 98,000 miles currently.

Just out of interest, why is this something to check for?

These gearboxes are good but if they fail it's a massive amount of money. Audi have been known to pay goodwill if something goes wrong but only if it has had the services.

These gearboxes are good but if they fail it's a massive amount of money. Audi have been known to pay goodwill if something goes wrong but only if it has had the services.
Ah I see. Do they fail often? What are we calling massive?

They don't seem to have many problems with this version. Depending on what goes wrong the mechatronic is about 2-4k depending who does it and a complete gearbox is coming up for 10k (through Audi) but please take these sums with a pinch of salt as I have never had an issue with an automatic from Audi. My last 2 have been tiptronic though and the S3 is stronic.
There honestly doesn't seem to be many issue with this gearbox though or the forum would be full of it. Just go in with your eyes open.

They don't seem to have many problems with this version. Depending on what goes wrong the mechatronic is about 2-4k depending who does it and a complete gearbox is coming up for 10k (through Audi) but please take these sums with a pinch of salt as I have never had an issue with an automatic from Audi. My last 2 have been tiptronic though and the S3 is stronic.
There honestly doesn't seem to be many issue with this gearbox though or the forum would be full of it. Just go in with your eyes open.
Cheers Scott much appreciated. Anything else you can think of?

No. They are well put together. If you have advanced key, there have been a few instances of the sensors in the door handle failing. The front wheel drive cars can also get uneven wear on the front tyres.

Sadly this isn't quattro like my A4... a little gutted about that, but i test drove it and couldn't really tell the difference.

Can someone tell me what a BiTDI is and if this is one? Scott? :D

Ah okay... big difference in price and performance i take it? will i be ****** off i haven't got it?

Also, anyone know which fuse is for the OBD port on this car? 2013 A6 2.0 TDI?
I don't want it getting nicked!

Ah okay... big difference in price and performance i take it? will i be ****** off i haven't got it?

Yup difference in performance is your 177ps to 300+ps (forgot the exact number) for the 3.0 BiTdi. I own a 218ps 3.0Tdi and came from a 170ps A4 and even that was a significant increase so imagine over 100+ ponies.
The BiTdi guys love their cars... Not that i don't love mine

Though that dies come at a cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers guys.

The guy who's selling the car has said this car has a 2013 new multitronic.
Apparently some S tronics have had issues.. he says this was the replacement for this.

Is he bullshititng? And in general which is better?

Thanks

Well the difference is that the Multitronic is a CVT box where the S-Tronic is a dual clutch conventional box (used to be called DSG), as far as I know the S-Tronic can handle more torque than the Multitronic. with the Multitronic the car will accelerate and you will hardly see a change in engine speed, with the S-Tronic there is a distinct change in engine speed as it goes through the gears but it is so fast that the car will just have a fairly constant acceleration curve.

Reference the Multitronic being a replacement for the S-Tronic I'm pretty sure it is the other way around...

Regards

Well the difference is that the Multitronic is a CVT box where the S-Tronic is a dual clutch conventional box (used to be called DSG), as far as I know the S-Tronic can handle more torque than the Multitronic. with the Multitronic the car will accelerate and you will hardly see a change in engine speed, with the S-Tronic there is a distinct change in engine speed as it goes through the gears but it is so fast that the car will just have a fairly constant acceleration curve.

Reference the Multitronic being a replacement for the S-Tronic I'm pretty sure it is the other way around...

Regards

Thanks Jake,
-so am I taking a risk with this? are these problems common?
Am I better to look for the S tronic?

All on auto trader are multitronic in my price range.

Cheers

S Tronic was introduced into the A6 from 2014 onwards, you can easily tell as multitronic A6s have the single twin-pipe exhaust at the back and S Tronics have a single pipe on each side of the diffuser.

Yes your dealer was talking poo about the multitronic replacing the S Tronic, it was the other way around. One my search I drove both and while my opinion (and general consensus) is that the S Tronic 2.0 TDI is a better gearbox than the multitronic 2.0 TDI there isn't a lot in it in terms of power etc. Drive feels quite different because of the way the CVT accelerates but if you drove it and were happy with it then that's what I'd say was most important.

As to reliability I've never had one but would echo what others say. They have been known to fail and they cost a bomb to replace, but as long as the car has been serviced to schedule by Audi then there shouldn't be an issue and if there was you have a good case to ask them to pay for it.

Good luck with your search!

As to reliability I've never had one but would echo what others say. They have been known to fail and they cost a bomb to replace, but as long as the car has been serviced to schedule by Audi then there shouldn't be an issue and if there was you have a good case to ask them to pay for it.

Good luck with your search!

I agree with Odyn, as long as the service history is complete (preferably dealer) then you 'shouldn't' have to much issues and if you do you can hopefully come to an understanding with Audi.

Regards

Cheers guys. It has the full history but the price is putting me off.

It did drive well, and has been really well looked after in fairness... i just don't like the worry of having inferior kit that's had issues.

i test drove a 2 year old with only 30k on the clock and still opted for a new one, there are some great deals to be add - could be more affordable than you think

Any advice on where to look? Apart from usual auto trader / eBay?

Ah I'm wanting pre-owned no higher than18k really:(

that's what i was looking for, and a new car was only marginally more expensive

From what I've seen new they're around 34k? Big jump?

the used one i was looking at was 26, then i decided i wanted the FL and s-tronic, and used they were 32 - i only paid 33