Just about to buy an S3 - A few questions though.

paulwakinshaw

Reaction score
Hi People

My first post here so Hi to everyone. I'm about to loose my company car in the next 2 weeks and I have convinced myself that I'm going to buy an S3 225

I have read the FAQ's section and it has cleared up many of the questions I had on the car, but still have a few to ask. One question I do have is regarding Bose equied cars, I have heard that this system can be a bit unreliable and some owners have had problems with the system (speakers or headunit) is this correct?

Next, exhausts. Milltek seem to be the popular option for owners, but as I understand it there are two options, quiet and loud. Is the difference between the two just that one has a centre silencer and the other has a straight through pipe?

DV's, are uprated ones really worth it over the standard factory items and I assume that samco hoses for the IC are a must too?

Does the front engine mount usually cause problems? I have seen a few posts on here reagrding this item and its a pretty cheap upgrade if required.

What is th deal with the Haldex Performance Controller, does it change the way the power is delivered through the 4WD system? is it adjustable or preset?

Airfilters, are these considered a sensible upgrade for the car or not? Coming from a Lotus Elise, getting more air into the Rover K Series engine was a must to boost performance.

Thanks in advance All

Paul

1. Had two S3's with Bose and no problems. Never heard of any either since i been on the forums since Dec 2001.

2. If you want an ill fitting, skew wif , knocking banging exhaust, that gives next to no performance gain. then feel free to go ahead.

3. DV offer no perfomance gain at all other than being more robust, servicable and you can investigate if all is well. Cheap and tacky plastic Bosch one is a binable item.

3a, Samcos not a must, but a nice addition. And you have 2 IC's not one. ;o)

4. never had trouble with front engine mount, but alot of people have upgraded, i personally dont like the idea of all the movement transferred elsewher into the chasis. Some have not liked the change at all until they have learnt to live with it.

5. Haldex controller makes the action of the haldex more aggressive and quicker in operation. Its in 4x4 before you slip the wheels to need it.

its not adjustable.

6. Air filters , stick with OEM paper air filter in the standard air box. Its not a restriction and is well regarded.Change the filter every 10K. miles they are cheap enough.

if your after a high spec, one of the last few S3 made with a few well chosen mods, then i may be convinced to sell mine.

[ QUOTE ]
1. Had two S3's with Bose and no problems. Never heard of any either since i been on the forums since Dec 2001.

OK, fair enough, must have been me getting the wrong end of the stick.

2. If you want an ill fitting, skew wif , knocking banging exhaust, that gives next to no performance gain. then feel free to go ahead.

OK, Sounds like the build quality from Milltek aint any better for the Audi boys than it is for the VX220 crowd either! What other exhaust options are there?

3. DV offer no perfomance gain at all other than being more robust, servicable and you can investigate if all is well. Cheap and tacky plastic Bosch one is a binable item.

Thought as much ref the above, money well spent though

3a, Samcos not a must, but a nice addition. And you have 2 IC's not one. ;o)

2 IC's - Interesting!

4. never had trouble with front engine mount, but alot of people have upgraded, i personally dont like the idea of all the movement transferred elsewher into the chasis. Some have not liked the change at all until they have learnt to live with it.

Just a suck it and see exercise ref the engine mount then.

5. Haldex controller makes the action of the haldex more aggressive and quicker in operation. Its in 4x4 before you slip the wheels to need it.

OK, gotcha on that one too.

its not adjustable.

6. Air filters , stick with OEM paper air filter in the standard air box. Its not a restriction and is well regarded.Change the filter every 10K. miles they are cheap enough.

Thought that might be the case too.

if your after a high spec, one of the last few S3 made with a few well chosen mods, then i may be convinced to sell mine.

I will let you know how my searches get on, i'm going to have to flog the Elise first but i may already havea buyer.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

1. well i certainly not heard of any, i been about since dec 2001 on many forums.

2. Supersprint is supoposed to be excellent, but i cant help but think the tails ar a little too large for the cut out in the bumper. I am very much of the leave it on till it falls off , train of thought. Standard system is 2.5" anyway.

3. yes, i run a Amd Viper DV. I like to be able to service it as and when, play with spring rates, and shimming etc, and know its in good health.

4. Indeed, i happy without one. Dont see the need.

5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

6. even the MTM big turbo conversions retain the standard box, upto 350 bhp changing for much else introduces heat, and with the twin IC set up there is no room for cold air feeds to the front bumper.

super mate, thanks for the advice.

PM with the details of your car, mainly the ball park price you are looking for and the current milage/condition.

Regards

Paul

got that info mate, its fuly loaded aint it!

Looks super too, I will let you know how I get on with my company car issues, I should find out for sure next week.

Paul

b1. The Bose system isn't anymore unreliable than the non-Bose. The issues you've probably heard about are related to the HU in general (it's the same one on either system). The main recurring problem is the volume control which uses some bizarre setup involving a memory chip which stores all your settings so if the garage disconnect the battery you don't lose all your presets. Sounds like a good idea but it is seriously flawed in that it seems to store every change you make so eventually runs out of space. This produces the random volume behaviour that is a very common complaint on this forum with the volume having a mind of its own. There is a fix but it's about £80 so you're far better off switching to a decent HU rather than getting the unit repaired. Audi won't admit to the problem for obvious reasons. There is a full techie explanation here: Volume problem explained

first ive heard of that one!

having said that mine have had

Symphony II + Bose in 1st S3

and Sat Nav Plus + Bose in this one.

Great find that about the volume problem Andy - its always nice to understand a problem, rather than just accept it as being 'bust'.

Yeah I think it only seems to effect the Concert. Can't take the credit for the link, someone else on here posted it a while back & I just kept it in my favorites.