just a thought

woking rob

Reaction score
ok I'm just having some thoughts.......

it might b silly or impossible but just an idea floating around in my head

it all starts with
how hard is a golf r32 conversion to do?

then a turbo/twin turbo conversion?

is this worth doing?

is there any other bigger power conversions?

any inputs welcome

Look at jbs designs website for ideas on r32 turbo conversion, ts650bhp!

As for shoehorning one into s3 8l chassis I have no idea!

Also on YouTube there is an s3 r32 turbo conversion running 800 ps! Noggy blue mental

Sandip has had an R32 conversion... fairly involved but can be done as the R32 is essentially the same chassis as the S3 (and TT for that matter)

Turbo chargeing is expensive to do on them though and produces mixed results... not seen a conversion yet that hasn't grenaded at some point...

The 800ps S3 runs standalone ECU and a few other nice things... gearboxes are next to useless when turbo R32's are pushed (from torque rather than hp) and most are upgraded using gear seats such as SQS or at the least a 6 speed soot chucker...

They do go well if done right but its not an easy swap... personally you would be better off buying an R32 and start from there... you can pick them up fairly cheap now...

<tuffty/>

Should also mention there is a little bit more to consider than just an engine swap when you are trying to get this level of horse power out of a small car like this... chassis and brakes need to be done... the R32 comes with bigger brakes as std over the S3... thats not because its faster, its heavier...

You have to ask yourself what power you are actually looking for... 400hp/450hp from a stroked 20v is more than enough for the road.. an R32 with an HPA conversion (not cheap, 12k just for the kit IIRC) was making nearly 450hp and nearly the same again in torque on just over 15psi...

<tuffty/>

I had a play with an R32 HGP on the way to GTI Inters, sounded mental following him with his exhaust popping on the overrun! I had no chance in the straights, but he slowed right down for the twisty stuff, and I'm up behind him again! We wasn't really driving at 10/10ths, but that car is quick!

thank u for the info i was just having ideas floating around and thought coz its the same car in some respects it would b fairly cheap (apart from the turbo) and it was more for the not so many around but i will keep thinking of ideas

To put it clearly, you must really love the 8L shape to consider such a conversion, it mega money basically, unless you are pretty handy with a spanner, and can do the conversion yourself. You just need to find an R32 doner car and swop it all over, which should be pretty straight forward.

If it's R32 power with a turbo you are after, then it would just be cheaper to buy and R32 and do the conversion on that car. If it has to be an Audi, then consider an 8P 3.2 V6, they are R32 engines aren't they? Not too expensive to buy these days neither, just expensive to convert to turbo power!

A good quality noz set up with a progressive controller will give excellent results at a much cheaper price, best bang for bucks available.