Junk e-mail from people you know

lil_coz

Reaction score
I've got a hotmail account and lately I've been getting these "Hi friend, I tried this product and its brilliant! Go to the website" type e-mails, but the address is from someone that I know and it's not them thats sending it. It's driving me nuts! I can't block the e-mail because it's a friend! :banghead:

coz, spambots have hacked into their account. It happened to my friend, and she was spamming us with medical ads! I asked her:wtf:are you sending me 5h1t like that for? and she said it wasn't her, and didn't realise she was. So you should tell your mate. Not sure what she did, but she sends normal crap now. lol

Wait until you start receiving spam emails from YOURSELF!! :faint:

Thing to remember is that these emails aren't always from the address they appear to be coming from, so a simple password change will not always work.
Sometimes your email address (or someone's you know) has been "spoofed". This means that the spammer sends out emails that appear to be from your account, only they're not. They just carry your email address as the 'sender'.

We've currently got this problem at work and it's been doing my head in trying to stop it.

Wait until you start receiving spam emails from YOURSELF!! :faint:

Thing to remember is that these emails aren't always from the address they appear to be coming from, so a simple password change will not always work.
Sometimes your email address (or someone's you know) has been "spoofed". This means that the spammer sends out emails that appear to be from your account, only they're not. They just carry your email address as the 'sender'.

We've currently got this problem at work and it's been doing my head in trying to stop it.

That explains why it goes to my junk folder. So if I block it, will I block my mates address or the actual one its come from?

That explains why it goes to my junk folder. So if I block it, will I block my mates address or the actual one its come from?

If you block the emails based on the sender then it will block your mate's genuine emails as well. If you block it based on text (e.g. "young russian woman wants western's todger for fun and marriage") then it'll only block emails that carry that text.

How you deal with this really depends on the capabilities of the spam protection provided to you by your mail application or webmail provider.

I use mailwasher, and just bounce back the junk without blocking it :thumbsup:

I've been a victim of email spoofing, I didn't know how to stop it. Thousands of messages were going out for months.

Anyways, I looked at an article somewhere and from it, I had to look at the message source and track down the IP address of the actual sender.

Found out it was from Amsterdam and Chicago, so I reported it to the ISP in them areas and now it has stopped.

Not sure whether emailing the ISP helped because I didn't get an email back, but it has stopped for now.