[Jun 28, 2015] North Yorkshire Moors Drive Out In Aid of Charity (Harrogate, North Yorkshire)

Helifella

Co-Driver ~ Hattie
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've just had a light bulb moment...

I'm currently trying to fund raise for a public access defibrillator for my home town of Knaresborough and i've been struggling for ideas.

Then it just came to me - A drive out into the Yorkshire Dales & Moors in aid of charity.

I've been on a number of rallies with my friend in a pre-war Alvis Special; it sounds ace on full chat
It is an amazingly beautiful part of the world and hopefully I could get hold of the pace notes from the event I did so I can ensure we revisit some lovely places.

I am also thinking of tapping up Harrogate Audi to help sponsor, seeing as their dealership is actually in Knaresborough.

It doesn't have to be just Audi, anyone could come along. Just a great day out, in a great location, in our beloved cars. A couple of quid per car doesn't seem too much to ask does it?

This would be my first event I have organised since becoming a Rep / Mod (please be kind)

What do you think?

Attachments

• 57982_427502936995_2584800_n.jpg
    57982_427502936995_2584800_n.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 476
Reactions: ShaunS3, mark_S3 and Sandra
What a fantastic idea for an excellent cause Mattie. Right guys, start getting your names down, you know you all enjoy a drive out. :) x

Reactions: JordanQuattro
I'm game. I work at Harrogate Audi, I'm sure it is something they are willing to get involved in. We might have to register another RS6 as a demo to use!

Reactions: Andy101, AVLO and Sandra
Hi Jordan, I'm Matti, I met you at the last meet at HA. Is Jason still there as I've PM'd him re sponsorship.

I will copy to you too.

Mattie...

Fantastic idea... More than willing to help

Do we have a date in mind aswell?

Brilliant idea. What date do you have in mind. Rendevous at Harrogate Audi then go from there? Might be best sooner rather than wait until the school hols when the roads are chocker. I'm going to Harrogate Audi on Saturday so I'll look out for Jordan.

I don't work weekends! :thumbs up:

I've put it to the marketing executive for our site and the head of business and they thinks it is a great idea for Harrogate Audi to be involved. Ill update on here as soon as I know more!

Reactions: Sandra
How about we make this an annual event on the calendar with a suitable worthy charity each year? Happy to get involved.

Reactions: Helifella
Harrogate Audi is keen to get involved. PM'd you Matti with email address of who you need to get in touch with.

Let get the wheels in motion. (If you'll pardon the pun) :p

Reactions: Sandra and Phil-1
@Helifella mattie, soon as you have a date set up, I will put a post up on asn Facebook to reach the wider Audi group. This is a worth while cause. I agree with @smokeymike this could be a great annual event and good fundraising for a different charity each year. :) x

Reactions: JordanQuattro
Hi everyone,

God I can't believe how busy I am at the mo. Just finalising the locations for where the defibrillators will be placed, so exciting times.

I know some of you have other commitments and would really like to make it - me included!
So I'm proposing Sunday 21st June. Seems a way off I know but at least it gives me chance to get a proper route "chalked out". I've emailed the vintage club in the hope they can give me the route notes etc.

Based on what I can remember tied in with what I think would work is the following;

Meet at Harrogate Audi with full fuel tanks!, collect itinerary (maps / pace notes, contact numbers)
Grand Depart to them there hills...me, Hattie & the Mrs in an RS5 cabrio nudge nudge wink wink...
Complete morning route,
Lunch stop at Grosmont - there is a large car park within a small clearing of a wooded area just down the hill from the railway, perfect for such an event.
Bring your own picnic lunch or there is a pub & tea room by the railway. Can be busy though.
Complete a fun motoring lunchtime quiz, helps if you have passengers & no google cheating! - might be a prize from Harrogate Audi if we ask nicely.
Depart for the afternoon route
Ending back at Harrogate Audi for coffee, biscuits & medals.

Known as the "Eskdale Run" this is an annual event done by the "Yester Year Motor Club" which I've done a number of times as previously mentioned, just with a different start / finish point. So no reason why it can't be a annual event for our modern cars too.

Also do you think there should be an entry fee or just a collection of donations? Personally I think it should be a entry fee.

Lastly thank you all for your replies of encouragement and post your thoughts up too.

Cheers Matti

Ps I will reply to PM's sent to me asap
Pps, some roads are narrow & busy so we need to keep this in mind and respect the rules of the road and maintain the Club's image - it's not a race. Although some sections demand a spirited boot of the right pedal :-D namely Rosedale Chimney as demonstrated in my rather wobbly clip above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra
That sounds good Mattie. I think an entrance fee is great idea. If you coukd give me a rough idea for start time, i will get a post made up for the audi-sport.net facebook. :) x

I have just realised the 21st June is Fathers Day...

As for start time 08:30-09:00 @ Harrogate Audi, it'll be quite a long day if we are to cover the full route.

I've not heard back from the motor club as yet.

Yey, I've just been sent the route itinerary.

Will need some tweaking as I need to adjust start & finish points and reroute accordingly.

This sounds a good idea and I should be able to join in. I will have to swap that weekend of on-call but it should not be a problem.
I know of a work colleague who is a non Audi classic car owner who may be up for joining in, although I cannot guarantee his car will last the course... Ha ha!
I may be able to persuade a couple of car enthusiasts join come along for a drive out.
Alternatively, I will see what my Dad has planned that weekend although I am not sure how his car knowledge is.

Yeah anyone with a love for driving can come. I would recommend at least one passenger to help navigate though.

We have to make sure that Shaun gets his 5AM alarm call again if he is going to be going via Mc Donald's again like last time :)

Matti (Helifella) is currently trying to fund raise for a public access defibrillator for his home town of Knaresborough and has been struggling for ideas.
Then it just came to him - A drive out into the Yorkshire Dales & Moors in aid of charity.
It is an amazingly beautiful part of the world and with the pace notes from a previous event, he will ensure you visit some lovely places. This will be a great family day out and we encourage you to bring at least one passenger to help navigate. Donation on the day.

Matti is looking to leave from Harrogate Audi at 9am promptly and finish at the same point around 6pm on the 28th of June.
There will be a morning route, which will be handed out to each participating car at the start along with a event sign so we can easily see who is who, a lunch stop at Grosmont including a motoring quiz! Then an afternoon route handed out in exchange for a completed quiz sheet at the end of lunch !!

We advise a full tank of fuel and also bring a picnic, as we are unsure of petrol station locations . There is a Tearoom & a Pub at Grosmont but they are very popular, so may be busy.

We will add more details when the route has been finalised. Hope you can all join him in his fundraising for a fabulous cause.
Please add your name if you wish to attend. This meet is open to anyone, you don't need to be a member of Audi-Sport.net to attend, so you can invite along friends and family in their own cars as well.

Please add your name below if you are attending. Just copy and paste please. Thank You All :) x
More info on his fundraising can be seen at www.facebook.com/KboroPAD
If this event proves popular, we will consider making it an annual event with a different charity / cause each year.

1. (Helifella) Matti, Angela & Hattie.
2. Alan & Carolyn Ward.

Last edited:
2. Alan & Carolyn Ward.
3. JordanQuattro

Buzzing for this one!

Reactions: Sandra and Helifella
@Helifella she has received it, me her and the head of business are in discussion as what we can do for it! I'll chase it up on Tuesday for you.

Reactions: Phil-1
Ah great thanks, thought she might've acknowledged and say it was in hand.

Cheers Matti.

4. (Smokeymike) Mike and Judith to add to the list please.

Reactions: HullRs3, Helifella and Sandra
2. Alan & Carolyn Ward.
3. JordanQuattro
4. (Smokeymike) Mike and Judith

Anyone that's coming got VCDS? I want my rear sensors displayed on MMI.

Reactions: Sandra and Helifella
@JordanQuattro if you can find some instructions to do it I will gladly help you out mate. I could always do it before then with being up in K'boro.

I will check with my better half later. If we can then we will mate

2. Alan & Carolyn Ward.
3. JordanQuattro
5. Shauns3-Shaun

2. Alan & Carolyn Ward.
3. JordanQuattro