1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Jump leads reversed :)

slepy Jan 2, 2021

1. slepy

slepy Extremely smart and handsome person. VCDS Map User

Hi Guys,

My mate has a mk1 TT 1.8T standing for 3 years now and I'm thinking about getting it for a track car and chucking 4wd. But, last year he tried to jump it from another car and connected leads the wrong way (+ to - and - to +). What could have he fried? Something simple like main fuse or relay or could be a lot more than that?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Could be just a simple fuse or every electronic module in the car could be damaged. Get a code reader on the car and see what is working, but check the fuses first.

slepy likes this.
  4. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Most modules are protected against things like this and sometimes you will get away with it. If the car has been stood for 3 years and never started then you may have trouble trying to get it going even if the jump leads hadn't been connected wrongly. Best thing to do is to try and charge the existing battery if it will and then try and check for fault codes with vcds.

slepy likes this.
  5. Raiden

Raiden Registered User

My brother in-law done that to an old mini he had years ago. ****** thing caught fire and the pr!ck had to get the fire brigade out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk