Judderman's A4 Tfsi Progress Thread

JudderMan

Reaction score
Hi

Thought I'd make a thread for my car. Having been on the A3 8L board for 2 years, I've switched to the B7 fraternity. Here it is:

img_20140825_143258-jpg.40240

Bought in August 2014 for a princely sum...ie. about a grand less than others on the market were so had to snap it up. Sold my A3 for exactly what I paid for it, so really, this A4 owes me very little so I don't mind having to splash a little now to get it nice. But....wow do I miss the Recaros of the A3. Here's a little pic of the A3:

img_20140806_172117-jpg.40235

Had a brake light switch fail on me last weekend, causing the brake lights to be on all night (but only an hour after I'd locked it!!) it was like the car was taking the micky out of me. Anyway, new Bosch battery and a new £7 switch and it's sorted. Plus, I wanted rid of the Halfrauds battery (yak) before the winter..

dsc_0001-jpg.40236

Yay!
dsc_0002-jpg.40237

Brake light switch fitment, can't be bothered to turn the image, it's not that interesting :)

dsc_0003-jpg.40238

Next up was today's escapades...the Rev D diverter valve. OMG what a little ******* that was to remove. I have no idea how small your hands need to be but I certainly couldn't do it. Managed it in the end, after lots of swearing and working completely blind, took about 2 hours. Removed the leaves from the air box and fitted a Pipercross drop in panel filter. Gives a nice little bark at around 4krpm now and sounds more whooshy turbo-wise. The DV made no difference, I can't see any splits. Didn't take any pictures as I scratched my phone screen by leaning on it while it was on the floor and was too annoyed :)

Which leads me onto another problem I need to sort and have just taken delivery of a CTS (coolant temperature sensor). The temp gets up to 70 degrees and stays there unless in traffic. On the motorway it drops to around 65 degrees. I wonder if this causes the car to feel slow, like a semi-safety/limp mode? I have Torque Pro and 0-60 times were 9 seconds instead of the supposed 7 seconds and certainly doesn't feel like 200bhp! I know it's probably not completely accurate but it was consistent and having done lots of drag racing years ago, I kinda know how to get a good start ;)

Anyway, I've Googled how to swap out the CTS and it sounds like a ******, so gonna get my MOT tester mate to swap out the CTS and might as well get him to throw a thermostat on as well while the coolant it out and some fresh G12.

Noticed some corrosion when you lift the bonnet on the slam panel and above the radiator. Will have to do something about that as I live by the sea so it will spread even faster...Waxoyl or what are your recommendations? Radiator and SMIC have massive hornet/bee things in them and both look pretty screwed now. Might get some new ones, need to look at pricing. I assume it's just bumper off, headlights out (maybe) and swap them out?

Next annoyance were the weak headlights and sidelights. Bought some off eBay and they look OK. Might get some LED sidelights as the 'brighter' ones aren't that different. I'm not a fan of HIDs and 'blue' sidelights just wanted some 4300k white ones. Not 100% sure on keeping these, but what a little ****** that was to replace them. Nearly pulled the wires off the sidelights..Bought some brighter foglights as well but will wait to fit them until the bumper is off as I can't get my hand in (my fog grills are missing but still couldn't get in there).

Bought a cam follower too, which again my friend will have to fit as I've ran out of free time now due to a 3.5 month old baby, running a business and a wife to keep happy :) Will get Mr MOT to dump the oil (as I always make a mess moving the pan out from under the car LOL), fit a magnetic sump plug, and replace the oil pick up pipe.

Noticed there is a rattle when lifting off the accelerator, maybe a heat shield, but having had my head under it, I can see the exhaust clamps are very corroded and one of the rear pipes is too, hopefully it's not blowing as I see fancy Milltek replacements are £750!! I think I'll stick with OEM...(how much are they anyone?)

Another problem is an oil leak. I've removed the undertray and put some cardboard down so I can see where it comes from as the undertray was misleading. There was some oil on the MAF plug!! So my guess is something turbo related, need to investigate further but can't see anything obvious yet. Having done around 1300 miles, it's needed about 250-300 mls, which isn't anything out of the ordinary for these cars I've been reading about but still, my drive is pretty spotty.

Embarrassingly I bought a rear boot spoiler...I know I know, it'll probably look crap but I kinda fancy it. I'm waiting for my carbon vinyl to turn up so I can wrap the interior trim to get rid of the nasty wood effect, and might wrap the spoiler too. Anyone that knows me, which is none of you on here LOL, knows that a spoiler isn't my thing. I'm very much OEM+ ie. nicer Audi (possibly RS4) wheels, clean bodywork and go faster parts. A sleeper, in other words, but will see how it looks.

New braided brake lines (always prefer them to OEM) and pads will be ordered in a few months. I think the ones on there are fairly new, they certainly look it, but I always like to change them so I know they've been done. For the same reason, all filters will be changed next week ie. pollen, oil, fuel etc and air con regassed.

Once all of the above is done, it will be remap time. I guess that I should have a new MAF before the remap as my last car ate two MAFs in the time I had it.

I think that's it for now. Will update this thread with progress. I've had it a month and still haven't washed it, so that will be tomorrow's task if I get any time.

Ordered an Isofix mount and cup holder from German ebay as mine were missing. I suppose the mount was an option that didn't get ticked.

One last pic, a bit arty, which for me is a rarity as I have zero creativity, taken at the place where we got married as we went back for our anniversary the other week. More better and daytime pics to follow once I've cleaned it.

img_20140825_223317-jpg.40243

JudderMan

Attachments

• IMG_20140806_172117.jpg
    IMG_20140806_172117.jpg
    782.9 KB · Views: 1,346
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,464
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,355
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,927
  • IMG_20140825_143258.jpg
    IMG_20140825_143258.jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 1,555
  • IMG_20140817_090436.jpg
    IMG_20140817_090436.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_20140825_223317.jpg
    IMG_20140825_223317.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 1,294
Last edited:
Reactions: mister.c.
DSC 0052
DSC 0053
DSC 0054
Few more pics from today, finally, some decent weather for photies. Didn't have time to wash it properly, so went to a car wash...I know this is bad and it's hardly cleaned the wheels, but it was on the way back from meeting a client.

There's a before pic of the boot before I fit the spoiler :) First photo shows the oil leak/drops. Turbo-related...need to investigate.

Fitted the Isofix mount today so the car seat is locked down nice and tight as I never trusted using just the seatbelt. 70 quid from German ebay.

Cup holder came today as well, I assume I need to rip the dash apart as it won't just slot in. 35 quid from German ebay.

Fitted interior LEDs, obviously I broke one of them grrr. Don't think I received the right ones though as the rear map lights don't fit. Ho hum. Popped on of my sidelights as well or its not located properly. Need to have a look in the daylight.

Thats it for today, didn't think I'd have any time but it only took 10 mins anyway.

Hands are ripped to shreds from the DV fitment.

Looking good Judderman. Are you 100% sure about the coolant sensor being the culprit. Very common that your thermostat may have bought it. Very common indeed. If you are replacing that part make use it's OEM Vag. It's one of those sealed thermostat units and I think it's about 30-40 quid. I changed mine and notice a sizeable MPG difference as a result.
Regards the DV. Was it the old style DV that was removed?.....the one with the greeny blue rubber sleeve. I take it you thoroughly inspected it for wear. Mine looked ok till I had a good look at it and it revealed tears and cracks in the sleeve.

Keep the Faith!
A

Hi Allan, I'm gonna get both the stat and cts changed just in case. It's weird but after a spirited drive last night it suddenly feels like 200bhp now.
I couldn't see any cracks or tears in the original dv but I like having the revised unit anyway and it does now seem to have made a difference.

Interior LEDs look good, need to buy more as I popped one and need the rear map lights.

All in good time.

Reactions: Molnboman
Possible engine failure as of this morning pootling to Tesco. Gutted.

Oddly it started knocking 50ft from my mates mot garage so have left it in the carpark for him to have a look at.

Could completely do without this at not even 1500 miles into ownership but read lots of horror stories and still went ahead and bought it. My guess is cam tensioner has gone or big/small end bearing gone as it's knocking like a mofo.

Will have to wait and see what the £damage is. Not sure if it's worth rebuilding the engine having looked at other people's costs compared to what I paid for the car and how much it's worth.

Oh ***!...........no warranty from the garage you bought it from am guessing.......really **** news......sorry.

A

Nope bought privately.

Depending on cost it might mean it comes back stronger and faster with all new bits....
Or it gets broken for parts....

It happened because I thought it was a good idea to make this thread lol :)

Gutted for you.....so the seller must have had an incling something was about to go.......engine rebuild will be a couple of grand I would reckon, unless you have a Mate who can sort. It. Did you let it run for a while then.....by the sounds of it you did......it will be knackered Mate.

A

The guy sold it within a week of having it as he took it as part ex. Kinda believe him as I went to his house and he had 4-5 cars that he was buying and selling.

Just think it's bad timing. I only drove it for about 2 minutes as I needed to get off the road and into my mates garage carpark.

I appreciate that every knock is damage though. Looks like 1200 quid for a replacement engine but will see what my mate can do for me. Tempted to look at changing everything that kills these engines and making it essentially new. I quite fancy rebuilding it myself if he can't do a good price. Will need a run around in the mean time and it certainly wont be an audi lol.

Love your positivity.......don't think I would be so calm under the circumstances. Btw I take it the eml lit up like a Xmas tree? Do you recall if you got a red engine light on the dash.....sure you did.

A

Haha I'm flipping between clamp and not so calm every 5 minutes...

No eml lights no oil warning lights which makes me think it might not be too horrendous....hoping it's just a wonky engine mount or something but it's not as the knocking changed with engine speed.

Hi, sorry 2 hear the bad news fella. What was the mileage on this when it went and was it on the long service plan?

123k and no idea, just bought it. I didn't even have time to service it myself as I've been busy with work and our new baby but was doing one thing at a time.

I change oil every 6k miles always have since my Honda days but haven't owned it that long.

Easiest way to check is if you have the service book just have a look usually it is ticked inside the book. Or just have a look at how much mileage is between ea service.

Will do matey, I did look at the service history when I bought it bit can't quite remember. I'm sure that most idiots cough cough I mean owners don't change the oil until the red oil light comes on nowadays :)

Engine is out and sent to the engine builder. Will probably have it back by the end of the week or at least next week.

Been buying a few bits like a battery cover to make it look a little cleaner in the engine bay.

I have the carbon wrap now for the interior trim, bought a bit more as I know I'll make a mess and have the rear lip spoiler to try it out on.

Might get a front Cupra lip, front lower and upper strut braces and an rs4 rear ARB but need to wait until I get the thing back before spending that kinda money.

It was on long life services and it was the oil pick up pipe that was clogged that killed the engine.

Been looking at rs4 wheels or bbs ch08 but again those will have to wait and can't decide anyway.

Oil pick up pipe strikes again, think I will defo look at getting mine changed now as I am on 92k miles.

Yeah man, for the sake of £30 and a few hours dropping the sump and subframe (which is meant to be the pain in the ***), it saves you a bunch of monies. I had this planned for the week after it died, so don't delay it any longer, get it done yesterday :)

Reactions: mancdan
Oil pick up pipe strikes again, think I will defo look at getting mine changed now as I am on 92k miles.

May want to get that done. 85-100k is generally the sweet spot for the pickup pipe or timing chain. Usually pick up pipe is clogged or the timing chain tensioner lets go or the chain.

Especially on BGB as well as BUL motors

Timing chain is different to cambelt isn't it?? (think I am being a bit dumb here....)

You are correct, one is in front of the engine the other is at the rear.

No question is dumb.

I know am bumping the trend and I hope to f@ck am not tempting fate but my bgb engine is now on 240,000 kms and she is still running sweet......I must be very lucky.

BR
A

You vehicle probably had a good service life or decent oil, decent filters in its life or potentially had alot of motorway journeys. Which is the best really for these engines.

You vehicle probably had a good service life or decent oil, decent filters in its life or potentially had alot of motorway journeys. Which is the best really for these engines.

My car was on the VAG long service until I bought it, however, it does have a DEFA engine warmer installed from new.....and am not sure if that has perhaps extended the engine life.http://www.defa.com/en/automotive/warmup/products/engine_heaters/
Since I have owned it at 170,000kms in May 2012 I have religiously changed the oil and filter every 10,000kms. I am a very lucky Boy. Yes, you are bang on..... 75 - 80% of our driving is on carriageways and motorways.

BR
A

Yeah good man. Im not taking it over 3krpm but it feels perkier than before. I do have the larger diameter turbo intake pipe, though so maybe it's spooling a little quicker?

Can't wait to give it full beans but will wait for 1500 miles or so. Got a 400 mile round trip next weekend so gonna try and so another 400 over this week and change oil before I do that big journey.

Remap in December as the place I will go to does half price over December.

It's just nice bot to have to get the bus any more. Although I have lost a bit of weight from rising my bike which is nice.

3" downpipe and decat ready to go on today, and another oil change makes it run in. I'll still take it easy for another 1000 miles I reckon bit I'm sure I'll stretch it's legs once or twice.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415873043968.JPG
    uploadfromtaptalk1415873043968.JPG
    792.9 KB · Views: 357
Oops didn't realise the downpipe and decat are the same thing so I have a spare that I will sell on.

Review of downpipe.....Oh. MY. God.

I can honestly believe it's pulled 15-20hp from that alone. It pops and bangs on overrun which isn't my taste but does sound good. The power though is very welcomed. The good thing about the sound is you can't hear much difference with the windows up and especially on part throttle which is ideal. When giving it beans it sounds like an S4...which is what I was going to buy but chose a tfsi.

Plenty of swarf found in the filter so taking it easy was definitely a good idea while running it in. I'll still take it easy for another 1000 miles...then it's remap time.

Ye curious about the price too. And what size and brand is it?

Its a TA technix from German Ebay. My mechanic said it will need work cutting the flangs holes for the bolts as they just need opened up a bit. It's for an a3 and a6 so maybe that's why it's slightly off.

The guy above has first dibs but I'd no answer Ill be in touch. It's 3" with lambda hole but I had to use the gaskets and ive been told they're a tenner from audi. 110 posted, as said only if the guy above doesn't get back to me.

Ye curious about the price too. And what size and brand is it?

Man above me can take dibs for sure. I was just curious. Im all about the 3inch tig welds :) besides you need 2 lamda holes for the a4.

**** a brick it's quick. I have a video but kept on recording so need to edit it. Will do that tomorrow. Sounds lethal in a tunnel :) but nice and barky with windows up and only a few decibels louder when pootling. Completely the best thing I've bought.

Spare decat sold.

My decat still rocks. Remap soon...hopefully Rick Unicorn Developments will do a Black Friday deal...