Juddering 1.5L VAG engines

Daz Auto

Reaction score
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/107558/juddering-vw-group-cars-no-end-in-sight-for-owners

"In some cases retailers have informed customers the issue is a “characteristic” of the car, while others have been more open about the significance of the problem."

"1.5 TSI Evo engine

Volkswagen replaced its 1.4-litre engine with the 1.5-litre TSI Evo in March 2017 with the Golf, and now offers the motor with a number of models, including the SEAT Ateca, Skoda Karoq and Audi A3. "

Anyone recommend a reliable alternative to an A3? Seriously!

How could I recommend an A3 to my wife?

I had a leon fr 1.5 TSI from new and it was horrendous. SEAT admitted the issue but at the time did not have a solution. I had to give up in the end and trade it in.

the 1.5 is a lack-luster engine and even without the kangarooing i would still not recommend

Good to know. Thanks.

Apparently they have fixed it - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/n...nces-fix-for-15-tsi-engine-hesitation-issues/

The people in the comments section are not so sure.
I believe the fix doesn’t 100% cure the problem.

the earlier DACA and DADA engine codes seem most affected.

i would never ever buy a 1.5 TSI again. Even without the judder it is a lack luster engine geared completely towards economy. There is nothing fun about the engine at all. If you want to attempt an overtake (i had the 130) you needed to post your request in writing 3 days before attempting it.

fuel economy was also not amazing. I got 36mpg over the 15k miles i had it.

Reactions: Daz Auto
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/107558/juddering-vw-group-cars-no-end-in-sight-for-owners

"In some cases retailers have informed customers the issue is a “characteristic” of the car, while others have been more open about the significance of the problem."

"1.5 TSI Evo engine

Volkswagen replaced its 1.4-litre engine with the 1.5-litre TSI Evo in March 2017 with the Golf, and now offers the motor with a number of models, including the SEAT Ateca, Skoda Karoq and Audi A3. "

Anyone recommend a reliable alternative to an A3? Seriously!

How could I recommend an A3 to my wife?
TBF mate there are all sorts of cars other than A3’s but SWMBO must like it. Have you considered Hyundai, Volvo, Ford, BMW, Toyota ?? All will have their pros and cons.

Reactions: pburv
I must be lucky as mines is nether lack-lister or juddering, so far, everyone that has been in my car has commented on how smooth it is, as for performance, I can’t tell the difference between this new 1.5 and my old 1.8tsi 8v A3.

Reactions: AdamInKent
I must be lucky as mines is nether lack-lister or juddering, so far, everyone that has been in my car has commented on how smooth it is, as for performance, I can’t tell the difference between this new 1.5 and my old 1.8tsi 8v A3.

How is the fuel economy?

It’s pretty good tbh, on a run from Edinburgh to Oban is was returning 54mpg there and back, around town I’m high 30’s to mid 40’s. it’s the stronic with mild hybrid so I don’t know how much of a difference that makes over the normal manual models

Reactions: AdamInKent and Daz Auto
Is the 1.5 nippier at lower speeds than the 1.8 and is there any turbo lag in the 1.5 ? I feel like the 1.8 can be sluggish at time unless revving like mad in lower gears

Is the 1.5 nippier at lower speeds than the 1.8 and is there any turbo lag in the 1.5 ? I feel like the 1.8 can be sluggish at time unless revving like mad in lower gears
The 1.5 tsi has ooooodles of turbo lag, it is geared long so if you want to overtake it is a drop 2 or 3 cogs game. Would seriously recommend you test drive before going for 1.

the 1.8 tsi is miles better performance wise. Miles

Reactions: Audicfc
Maybe the 150 version might be the 1.5 engine to go for as the 130 does look quite slow on paper and might not have took to well from being de tuned from 150 to 130 bhp

The 1.5 tsi has ooooodles of turbo lag, it is geared long so if you want to overtake it is a drop 2 or 3 cogs game. Would seriously recommend you test drive before going for 1.

the 1.8 tsi is miles better performance wise. Miles

hmmmm someone must have forgot to install mines with the “ooooodles of turbo lag” at the factory! Also it’s perfectly capable of overtaking without dropping 2 or 3 gears

let’s be honest here, nether the 1.8 or the 1.5 are performance engines! I’ve owned both, 1.8 in and 8v and 1.5 in an 8y, the 1.8 might have it beat on top end performance but low down normal every day driving the 1.5 in the 8y is just as good and may even surprise 1.8 from time to time it absolutely blows it out the water on economy which is another reason why people buy the 1.5 or the then 1.8

I do agree with one thing though, definitely test drive it before you buy it

Quite, it is a good engine, enough power and torque for safe overtaking and the juddering has been sorted...