Jobs while swapping engine

slepy

Extremely smart and handsome person.
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,
Haven't been here a while since I killed my A4 and went "jap".
After selling my supercharged type r I wasn't planning on getting any other car as I have a company car but...

Literally on the same day as the civic went, I found a 2010 S3 Stronic with a dead engine "low oil pressure". Went to have a look as it was local. I assumed the engine will be dead even though it runs and drives, offered a silly price and guy accepted it. After dropping sump it was clear that it is a game over for the old engine as it was full of metal bits which were clogging up the pick up pipe and causing low pressure.

Car overall needs a lot of work as it clearly wasn't looked after. Now, I just got a replacement engine for it from a 57k miles S3. While it is on a crane I want to do some jobs before it goes in the car.

I will do:
- timing and aux belt
- water pump
- oil pick up and filters
- cam follower
- plugs
- stronic service when i pull engine out?

What else I should be looking at?

Also, the engine I got came with a manual box. I pulled/split few manuals but not auto before. Any idea if I will need to replace anything extra while fitting my stronic box to the new engine?

2016 Audi A3 1.6tdi SE Technik

2007 Supercharged 365bhp Civic Type R

Hi all,
Haven't been here a while since I killed my A4 and went "jap".
After selling my supercharged type r I wasn't planning on getting any other car as I have a company car but...

Literally on the same day as the civic went, I found a 2010 S3 Stronic with a dead engine "low oil pressure". Went to have a look as it was local. I assumed the engine will be dead even though it runs and drives, offered a silly price and guy accepted it. After dropping sump it was clear that it is a game over for the old engine as it was full of metal bits which were clogging up the pick up pipe and causing low pressure.

Car overall needs a lot of work as it clearly wasn't looked after. Now, I just got a replacement engine for it from a 57k miles S3. While it is on a crane I want to do some jobs before it goes in the car.

I will do:
- timing and aux belt
- water pump
- oil pick up and filters
- cam follower
- plugs
- stronic service when i pull engine out?

What else I should be looking at?

Also, the engine I got came with a manual box. I pulled/split few manuals but not auto before. Any idea if I will need to replace anything extra while fitting my stronic box to the new engine?

Oil pump & chain inside the sump.near pick up pipe probably the worst thing and the cam follower in the hpfp

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Oil pump & chain inside the sump.near pick up pipe probably the worst thing and the cam follower in the hpfp

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Doesn't oil pump come together with the balance shaft and is over a grand for the lot?

is the crank end the same auto and manual ?
In what way? Both engines are same codes so I assume they should be?

some auto engines are specific so a manual engine wont have the same end to the crank to convert to manual and visa versa check the part numbers on cranks on here www.oemepc.com

some auto engines are specific so a manual engine wont have the same end to the crank to convert to manual and visa versa check the part numbers on cranks on here www.oemepc.com
I believe cranks are the same on both but stronic one has a pilot bearing inside. I guess I'll find out when I pull the engine.

While the sump is off do the balance shaft delete. Check AKS website for parts or VIS website. The oil issue could have been caused by a worn balance shaft in the first place.

Do cam chain and tensioner too, opposite end of the engine to the timing belt and water pump.