Job interview (bananas)

Dazmo

Reaction score
Well i have been invited to a job interview after recently applying for an internal position.

However i am unhappy to find out that i have to write and present 3(yes 3) 5 minute presentations and then i have an interview.

Does anyone else think this is taking the p**s or is it just me.

How the hell have i got time to write and properly prepare 3 presentations and then prepare for an interview?

First i was told i would have 2 presentations and an interview and to be honest i was not to fussed as i was ready to get cracking.

Now after clarification it turns out it is 3 presentations and an interview, i simply do not have the time to be able to learn the material or properly present it when i have so much to think about, so i am considering cancelling the interview.

Its not as if i will be getting a pay rise, it is simply a secondment.

What would you do?

Go for it you have got nothing to lose apart from some time and effort but with out trying you will never know and always have the doubt in the back of your head what if I had done it. You might not get a pay rise with the company you are with just now but if you move on then the skills and your new title might go to getting you more money.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Edit.

The fact that you have been invited to the interview I would take that to mean the company you work for obviously they think you are more than able to complete the job on hand.

In my experience, where vacancies are advertised internally, it is often the case that some of those who apply are not hugely committed to the application but are just testing the water, so to speak. Maybe this is your employer's way of establishing who amongst the applicants are really serious about going for the post, and who are not but are just making up the numbers.

The other possibility - and here I am speculating as I have no idea what the job specification is - if the new role is one that is likely to impose frequent short-term demands on the incumbent, this is a way of identifying those applicants who are better able to cope with such demands.

Just a thought.

My missus is currently applying for a new job as her current position comes to an end in March.
She has been for 4 interviews - all of which have required a 5 minute presentation.

Seems to be becoming the norm for an interview now! - silly in my opinion.

My missus is currently applying for a new job as her current position comes to an end in March.
She has been for 4 interviews - all of which have required a 5 minute presentation.

Seems to be becoming the norm for an interview now! - silly in my opinion.

I agree, but i think 3 presentations is somewhat taking the p***

I wouldn't mind doing one, at a push 2 but having to write 3 power point presentations is a joke.

The job i am applying for is W.M.S Project Systems Trainer.

Essentially i will be learning a new W.M.S system and be working with the training team to create modules, train staff and essentially test and implement the new system.

So now you know for next time! Have 5 x 5minute presentations on standby, and go kill it for the interview next year!* :idea:

*Sorry for not being helpful.

In my opinion they are testing your resourcefulness and ability to problem solve under duress.

To be honest, I have had worse interview requests and tests than to do a couple of presentations.

My last job interview was 8 hours long long. Numerous presentations, some I had to go and prepare while they waited in the room, aptitude tests like Maths and English, 5 role plays, and a 30 minute presentation to the Chief Executive and Chairman followed by the actual interview. And then I had to go to a breakfast meeting the next day to see how I got on with the board.

I got the job.

And told them I had a better offer from elsewhere :)

I kinda think its a **** take, unless you're still "paying your dues" of course. I'm glad to say I'm at a point in my career where I've turned down interviews that have potentially taken me away from paying work. More to life than work, and there's plenty of work out there, despite what you read in the tabloids. Good luck either way.

You'd have had 5 minutes longer to prepare them had you not posted about it on here ;)

I'd go for it if it was me, most likely testing resourcefulness as someone else mentioned.

You'd have had 5 minutes longer to prepare them had you not posted about it on here ;)

I'd go for it if it was me, most likely testing resourcefulness as someone else mentioned.

Yeah think i will, i have spent a few hours and got one done now, 2 left to go!

last job i got required 5 interviews and 2 case studies. The case studies I had to read a scenerio they gave me they present my findings and recomendations.

Last edited: