jersey hire car ..

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
were off to jersey for a long weekend in october and I need to book a hire car, what do you think will be the most fun ? the speed limit in jersey is 40mph so that rules out the boxster and the weather is similar to ours so I have the choice of ..

Ford KA ( i like these ) £62
VV Beetle convertible £163
MX5 £164
Focus convertible £174
Fiat 500 sport £102
Fiesta £72

I love cabriolets but think £170 is a bot much for 3 days and part of me for some perverse reason fancies the Fiat 500 !

I'd seen those, out of them i'd fancy the TR4 they are just a little expensive.

I went a couple of years ago and I hired a Ford KA. I had never driven one before and to be honest it was quite fun! and this was because of the low speed limit. You can chuck it round those country lanes and it gets to 40 fairly quick!

Now if I was going again then I would also go for the Fiat 500. They look pretty good and I can imagine they would be perfect for rallying around Jersey. BTW-taking of rallying..... I don't know when in October your going but the Rally is on 10th - 11th October so I would recommend going to watch a bit if you can as it's all over the island and it's free just pick up the local paper and it will have a big pulllout section with all the stage info on.

And one more thing with regards to the Boxster. Go to the Porsche/Audi garage just around the corner from the airport and blag a test drive for 30-40 minutes. I did in a Boxster S and a Audi A4 S-line. The tiny bit of dual carriage way on the front at St Helier is great for nailing it off the lights :weight_lift2: I know the limit is only 40 but I did manager to double that before I had to brake (in the Boxster this was) :busted_cop: Sorry officer I had no idea I was going that fast!

damn we are going the weekend before ! if i'd have know I would have booked for the rally weekend, we staying in st helier near the sea front at the royal yacht hotel and since it doesn't have a car park I didn't want to have anything to exotic ... I like the idea of blagging a porsche for a test drive though !

When I went I didn't realise the rally was on until I got there so it was a nice susprise.... not for the misses though ! :moa:

With regards to test driving. Say that you have been looking into buying a car from Jersey and importing back to the UK as you will still save money even with the import tax that the UK will stick on it, then you should have no worries blagging a drive. You wouldn't believe the price of cars over there, they are so much cheaper...... or they were when I went.

One more thing if it's raining go to the Cinema (Cineworld) I think this is about 5 minutes walk from your hotel (best one of Jersey I'm told). Pay for the VIP seats! These cost around £2.00 more p/seat than a standard one and you get to go in a box at the back of the cinema. It has it's own sounds levels, so you can control them yourself + you get a massive bowl of popcorn free and a drink (which would normally cost around a £8.00-£10.00 anyway) has huge leather chairs and can telephone the waitress to bring you more supplies.