Jerky S4 gearbox

Nirmal Ramjee

Reaction score
Yesterday I took the suicidal trip to Heathrow airport, at 17:00, on the M25. It took me 2 hours to get there from East London - something left for a different conversation.

While sitting in traffic, it felt like I was never in the correct gear. The car would feel like it’s about to stall, being in too high of a gear, as I came to a stop.

Is this something normal, or does it just need to be broken in? Has anyone else experienced this on the Xf gearbox? My S4 (2018) has only just clocked 200 mls.

Also, with all the shuddering, I could hear some vibration in my passenger seat, which also made me a little upset. But that I need to discuss with Audi anyway.

Can’t say I’ve ever had any issues with it seeming like it’s going to die to be honest, the torque converter should really stop that from happening. I think it’s maybe something you should take to Audi if it happens on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t say I’ve ever had any issues with it seeming like it’s going to die to be honest, the torque converter should really stop that from happening. I think it’s maybe something you should take to Audi if it happens on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Daggerit, it’s more of a feeling like when your driving a manual and coming in for a stop, and engaging the clutch at the last possible moment. Like a slight shudder as you stop - I hope that makes sense.

I feel like Audi will only turn round and tell you to deal with it unfortunately. Not that they should do that at all, but I'd be a pesky ****** until something is resolved.

Hello, as mentioned the start/stop is overly keen I think. Sometimes appears to cut the engine at 4mph and can be harsh.

That said of you are in a lot of traffic that does not help it. Never had the feeling it was going to stall though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Check the passenger seat rattle isn't coming from the belt buckle knocking against the shell of the seat, I have to push the buckle up to the top of the belt to stop it.
I have no idea on the gearbox, my S5 doesn't behave like that.

Reactions: SRB93
Hello, as mentioned the start/stop is overly keen I think. Sometimes appears to cut the engine at 4mph and can be harsh.

That said of you are in a lot of traffic that does not help it. Never had the feeling it was going to stall though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

First thing I do is turn that nuisance off.

Nirmal, what you describe is really not how that gearbox should behave. I believe it has a lock-up clutch and if that were to be partly engaged it could do what you describe. What is the idle? If its greatly different from what other owners see then it would indicate a real problem.