Jeff's S4

Don't forget that a stage 2 tune increases the supercharger rpm for a given engine rpm and therefore may produce an average increase in whine. Personally I didn't think my supercharger noise was that much noticeable post tune, which was fine for me. Jeff's ears are a few years older than mine so by rights he should not notice any difference.

Reactions: NevMan and V6_Man
Don't forget that a stage 2 tune increases the supercharger rpm for a given engine rpm and therefore may produce an average increase in whine. Personally I didn't think my supercharger noise was that much noticeable post tune, which was fine for me. Jeff's ears are a few years older than mine so by rights he should not notice any difference.
Pardon?

Reactions: Bristle Hound, V6_Man and scotty76

@Dippy is on fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bristle Hound and NevMan
Well I can still hear John Bonham’s squeaky bass-drum pedal on Since I’ve Been Loving You.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, scotty76 and V6_Man
You fitted S3 rear mudflaps like I did?

Took me ages to find something that would fit!

Quick question...I’ve just got a forge pipe, but I’ve found the fit to be a little bit of a squeeze, and it seems to almost have a kink in it.
I’m at that stage of requesting a refund, did yours fit well (it looks like it did) and has it made any difference in noise etc?

Thanks
Matt

Quick question...I’ve just got a forge pipe, but I’ve found the fit to be a little bit of a squeeze, and it seems to almost have a kink in it.
I’m at that stage of requesting a refund, did yours fit well (it looks like it did) and has it made any difference in noise etc?

Thanks
Matt
Actually, if you look carefully at the pic, it is slightly squeezed at the left to right curve. And no, it made no real difference to the soundtrack.

Reactions: MattS5 and V6_Man
Actually, if you look carefully at the pic, it is slightly squeezed at the left to right curve. And no, it made no real difference to the soundtrack.

Ah yes, I can see it now, not as pronounced as what mine was by the looks of it, but enough to confirm my intentions to return it for a refund.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Cheers
Matt

So I had another recurrence yesterday of the engine going into limp mode whilst cruising along a motorway. It's a bit unnerving having to drift from the outside lane into the hard shoulder, to switch off and restart. As with the two previous occasions, the engine was fine after I'd restarted, but the cruise control was disabled. Later in the day, after the car had been still for an hour or so, it was working again.

The car is at Sanspeed this morning for a VCDS scan (Carista couldn't find anything last time) to see if anything is logged anywhere.

So I had another recurrence yesterday of the engine going into limp mode whilst cruising along a motorway. It's a bit unnerving having to drift from the outside lane into the hard shoulder, to switch off and restart. As with the two previous occasions, the engine was fine after I'd restarted, but the cruise control was disabled. Later in the day, after the car had been still for an hour or so, it was working again.

The car is at Sanspeed this morning for a VCDS scan (Carista couldn't find anything last time) to see if anything is logged anywhere.
Hope it’s a simple fix

Reactions: jdp1962
Here's the result of the scan:

ENGINE:

17178 U1123 Databus received error message - intermittent

TRANSMISSION:

18147 U0100 No comms with enigine
8008 U0100 No comms with engine (SAE ECM).

All faults cleared and didn't return on five-mile test run.

So that's about as inconclusive as it could possibly be.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and rasA4
Had a bit of a web search. Likely U1123 is a side-effect and U0100 is the cause. However U0100 is a very generic code for lost comms. I'd suggest the good news is that it is unlikely that there is anything mechanically wrong with engine or transmission. More likely it is a slightly bad contact in a connector. The bad news is that diagnosing it would be difficult - and probably not worth it until the problem becomes much more frequent.

If they used VCDS or similar then they should have frequency data - it would be good to know if there is something underlying which is happening frequently, or that this is literally only the second isolated incident.

Last comment - can you be sure that its not related to the ECU remap?

@jdp1962 - Hope you get it all sorted Jeff :thumbs up:
No input from me but as always @Dippy your man with all things technological

Had a bit of a web search. Likely U1123 is a side-effect and U0100 is the cause. However U0100 is a very generic code for lost comms. I'd suggest the good news is that it is unlikely that there is anything mechanically wrong with engine or transmission. More likely it is a slightly bad contact in a connector. The bad news is that diagnosing it would be difficult - and probably not worth it until the problem becomes much more frequent.

If they used VCDS or similar then they should have frequency data - it would be good to know if there is something underlying which is happening frequently, or that this is literally only the second isolated incident.

Last comment - can you be sure that its not related to the ECU remap?
@Dippy, I did the same research as you, and came to exactly the same conclusions; it's a needle in a haystack job.

I'll check about the frequency data, but as to your last comment, I can't be sure of anything.

Also found this, which confirms it's hopelessly generic and almost impossible to diagnose without ripping out substantial sections of the electronics, with the possibility of finding a dirty or loose wire somewhere.

https://www.obd-codes.com/u0100

Reactions: V6_Man
Not even sure this will help you any.. but I refuse to be beaten by computers.

Attachments

• ohgodpleasework(1).pdf
    101.8 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: V6_Man and jdp1962
OK; thanks everyone, but especially @MuPPeT_ON_TouR for his tenacity.

I've a few ideas to discuss with my garage if it happens again. Meantime, the fact that it happened Sunday morning on the east-bound M20 (both previous occurrences had, spookily, been on the same 100m stretch of the A21 at pretty much the same time of day) means I can forget about any X-Files conspiracy theories. :)

Reactions: scotty76
Could be totally unrelated but I had similar codes when my ECU was flooded with water (much older car though and they could have totally updated/changed the a4's design on later models but could be worth checking for water and/or any blocked drain holes as they're quite a common issue amongst old and new VAG car's).

My S4 will be four years old on Sunday, and I've "celebrated" that by getting it MOT'd, taxed and serviced; £767 spent in one day, phew!

The service included brake fluid, rear diff fluid, pollen filter and air con regas. The benefit of the latter is immediate in the compressor is having to work noticeably less hard, even though today has been pretty warm and also very muggy.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, rasA4, V6_Man and 2 others
I finally got my recall notice from Audi UK, informing ne that I needed to get the fuel rails replaced. It will be only the second time my car has gone back to the dealer since it was new, and I was very reluctant, given what happened the previous time. I walked to the dealer this afternoon, had a long conversdation with the service manager about my scepticism that they'd take acceptable care of the car.

We reached an agreement for the car to go in on a day where an empty ramp is reserved for me, I'll drive it straight in myself, and then remain on site for the hour or so that they'll need to do the work. Then I'll drive it away again. It's at 9.30am on Monday 22 July. I'll report with news.

Reactions: Keef, Bristle Hound, rasA4 and 2 others
I finally got my recall notice from Audi UK, informing ne that I needed to get the fuel rails replaced. It will be only the second time my car has gone back to the dealer since it was new, and I was very reluctant, given what happened the previous time. I walked to the dealer this afternoon, had a long conversdation with the service manager about my scepticism that they'd take acceptable care of the car.

We reached an agreement for the car to go in on a day where an empty ramp is reserved for me, I'll drive it straight in myself, and then remain on site for the hour or so that they'll need to do the work. Then I'll drive it away again. It's at 9.30am on Monday 22 July. I'll report with news.

Blimme Jeff, that's some negotiation skills you've got here mate. Well done mate

Reactions: scotty76 and jdp1962
I hope it goes well Jeff. I'm going to e-mail the service managers of my 3 local dealers asking about the recall and how they plan to deal with the fact that my car is stage 2. Whilst I know that it makes little difference to the work, I'm just looking for which of the dealers gives me most confidence.

BTW the official Audi estimate for the work is 3 hours. But Mark @ MDM Technik said that it was an easy job so maybe 1 hour is enough.

@jdp1962 - Nice 1 Jeff :thumbs up:
Like you wouldn't trust my local Audi main dealer either
Fortunately I have a couple of good Audi indy's near to me

Blimme Jeff, that's some negotiation skills you've got here mate. Well done mate
Well, no, it seems I don't. I rang today to double check all of the arrangements are in place, and the service manager told me I can't possibly do that because of health and safety rules. I was, in essence, fed a load of old pony.

Well, no, it seems I don't. I rang today to double check all of the arrangements are in place, and the service manager told me I can't possibly do that because of health and safety rules. I was, in essence, fed a load of old pony.

That's a shame. Was it the same Service Manager that you spoke with initially. I ask as it has happened to me in past where I agreed something with the Service Manager I was dealing with only for everything to be changed when I went in and was greeted by a different individual who had no clue of our arrangements. No communication it appears is a norm at stealership.

This is not helping my confidence either Jeff. :(

That's a shame. Was it the same Service Manager that you spoke with initially. I ask as it has happened to me in past where I agreed something with the Service Manager I was dealing with only for everything to be changed when I went in and was greeted by a different individual who had no clue of our arrangements. No communication it appears is a norm at stealership.
Different person today; and his condescending manner did nothing to improve my confidence, but it gets worse. I've just rung another dealer and contrary to what Bexley told me about the job taking about an hour, Maidstone have told me it's basically an all-day job with the potential for an overnight stay if, when the remove the supercharger, they find the seals need replacing and have to order therm in for the next day.

So what to do?! :openmouth:

Different person today; and his condescending manner did nothing to improve my confidence, but it gets worse. I've just rung another dealer and contrary to what Bexley told me about the job taking about an hour, Maidstone have told me it's basically an all-day job with the potential for an overnight stay if, when the remove the supercharger, they find the seals need replacing and have to order therm in for the next day.

So what to do?! :openmouth:

Why don't you call couple of other dealers and see what they say about timeframes and if it is actually a full day job I'll get it done at the dealership you feel comfortable with (tricky decision).

I don't think any of the work required touching the ECU but you can't take chances with it comes to a stealership. As you are tuned I'd check with your Indy who tuned the car in case the stealership messes with the ECU.

Reactions: jdp1962
Why don't you call couple of other dealers and see what they say about timeframes and if it is actually a full day job I'll get it done at the dealership you feel comfortable with (tricky decision).

I don't think any of the work required touching the ECU but you can't take chances with it comes to a stealership. As you are tuned I'd check with your Indy who tuned the car in case the stealership messes with the ECU.
I'm going to contact Audi UK.

Wow. Based on your comments Jeff I wouldn't be happy with those dealers myself, so I feel for you.

The recall notice and the (Audi US) job sheet states about 3 hours. The service manager I contacted suggested "a couple of hours". Also according to the job sheet, the 06E198201B fuel rail repair kit includes the 079129717D supercharger seals which need to be replaced as part of the work (along with the injector seals). I'm glad I saw these latest posts as I think I'll go back to my service manager to confirm that they will have the full kit of parts for my car. I'm also not going to rely on all my advanced discussion with the service manager. When I get to the dealer I am going to ask to speak to the technician who does the work before he or she starts to convince myself that it is safe to do so!

Reactions: DieselJake, V6_Man and jdp1962
Jeff, my service manager just confirmed the parts they will use. Includes supercharger seals, injector seals and oil breather o-rings.

Reactions: V6_Man and jdp1962
That's great research, @Dippy . Whomever I decide should do the work, I can now insist they have the relevant parts to hand before they as much as loosen a nut.