JBS RESULTS

Ballcrusher said:
as i said im well happy with me results 100% at pod today flat 14 and with 19"reps cant be bad

How many more runs did you get after I left?

Your sounds very nice Jim :o.k:

NIce one Ballcrusher, 0.6 secs off a 1/4 time is a lot more than some would think. It certainly backs up the improvements you describe, both on the graph and what you feel on the road. Keep fiddling with settings and you may nip into the 13s on a fast track>..!? Top job

DavidR said:
For what it's worth, Star Performance in Scotland are custom writing codes for these engines allowing you to specify the nature and type of power delivery - they make less headline power than some, but feel superb on the road. That's where my money would go.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am looking for a "reputable" tuner for a custom remap.
I am pretty set on MRC but they are a long way from me. Not a major issue if they are as good as people say.

I always thought Star were just a generic code installer (Revo type stuff on fairly standard engines).
I was glad to hear they did custom so I rang them.
Looking for custom code my 1.8t KO3s will soon be 2.1l with an IHI VF34 and usual FMIC.

They can't do it. "We only do Garrett" and then pretty much hung up
Surely if its a custom code you are supplying the turbo is irrelevant.
unless they are only interested in big turbo installs and the huge fees that come with them
Seemed very odd, but I have to say the few times that I have spoken to them they don't seem particularly interested in talking

will stick with MRC if I am travelling that far, still doesn't explain why a "custom" tuner can't or won't do any other turbo than Garrett

jcb said:
will stick with MRC if I am travelling that far, still doesn't explain why a "custom" tuner can't or won't do any other turbo than Garrett

I wouldn't say "can't", with Jim it's more than likely that he "won't". It takes a lot of work to custom map a big turbo - Star did about 40 maps on mine to get a base to use on future installations. Jim probably wouldn't want to go through all that again on a different turbo if he's only going to charge £500. Jim's a perfectionist and he wouldn't be happy giving you something that wasn't up to his standards. He could give you a quick and dirty remap for the IHI, but it wouldn't be a smooth and progressive delivery like the usual maps he does.

Of the IHI conversions he's had on his rollers, I've not heard him say too many complimentary things. Too much lag, too much torque spiking, and not enough top end.

jcb said:
Unless they are only interested in big turbo installs and the huge fees that come with them

Jim supplied, installed, and mapped my GT28RS for under £4k. Not exactly huge fees when compared to elsewhere.

jcb said:
Seemed very odd, but I have to say the few times that I have spoken to them they don't seem particularly interested in talking

Spend half an hour in Star's reception, listening to the phone calls, and you'll know why. It's quite staggering how many people call for free advice, or questions about things they'd 'like' to have done yet probably won't.

your a fan of his, so I can understand you backing him up. I am glad you have a sorted car and found someone locally to do the level of work you wanted.
I would hope that he would want to set any customer's car on the road with the best possible map...otherwise people talk and he won't get recommended in future.

I was recommended to him and disappointed at the response.

I am sure they do get a lot of people who "are planning" a big turbo upgrade.
It's his industry experience that will allow him to sort the men from the boys and generate business for him. Couple of simple questions about committment to the project clears that up for him. (budget, parts choice, have you thought about this..?)

I spent 18 months looking for the right car (Pre 2000 non DBW, 180bhp big port engine code 1.8t A4 Avant). 6 months researching turbo manifold suppliers for my application (longitudinal IHI), 6 months more sourcing parts for a custom manifold (316 sch10 Stainless and 10mm laser cut flanges), I have poly bushed the entire car and fitted £1000 of KW V3's, had Forge use my car for 2 weeks as the development vehicle for their A4 1.8t FMIC, already have all the turbo parts (US sourced) and a new block ready for a 2.1 conversion with long throw crank, H beam rods and forged pistons. I have done my homework and think I know many of the pitfalls ahead in terms of MAF choice, pipe location, fuelling and clutch choice.

When I say "no interest" I mean that he barely managed to hold a simple polite conversation. I have nothing against the guy, just don't understand people in a service industry who can't deal with enquiries in a sensible manner. He doesn't know me.......given that I have just spent the fat end of £10k on a car and parts for my project... he "should" be thinking "even if we can't do the MAP for an IHI...maybe he will be looking for something in future, sounds like a guy who likes his cars"
Parts, fitting, rolling road sessions.....

I wasn't looking for free advice, I was looking to spend as much money as it takes on a circa 350bhp remap.

If you have had a bad day or can't be bothered to speak to customers, walk away from the phone and get someone to take a message.
All it takes is "sorry we don't do IHI, it would take us too long to get up to speed on a decent MAP for turbo a we have no record of working on, have you tried Jabba"
I walk away thinking... "nice, a perfectionist"
not... "to$$er, who do you think you are talking to!?"

Any one of my employees spoke to a potential customer that way I would kick their ****!

not too many tuners up here who have been recommended but I am just saying, an odd response and manner and I won't be calling in on them....even for free advice.

Sorry to hijack this, just hit a nerve.

Slow r32...? compared to what? Fastest golf they ever built I think!

240hp, bags of torque from a big v6, 4wd and no turbo to balance your launch on...? I think 14.1 is exactly what I'd expect form a decent R32!

Remember this guys car had 210hp to start with, so a flat 14 is about right for c.260hp I'd say.

14 with 19s is damm good i think just need to get the clutch sorted then i think 13s is on the cards shame i couldnt get it last time when i burnt it out..lol

dont get me wrong guys 14.1 en't bad but i just dont think much of the r32 iv'e had turbo cars most my life so it just seems slugish and heavy..

good luck ballcrusher with the 13's you'll get there if you try hard enough
it took me ages to get my mk 4 1.8t to 14's... I just ripped everything out in the end making it about 80 kilos lighter and ran 106 oct fuel...

9's now were talking !!!!!!:icon_thumright:

Hi,

Just thought we'd sign up to explain the figures on Mr Ballcrusher's S3.

The customer requested a Phase Two remap (Custom written for each individual customer's requirements). In this case, the requirements were "As much as it will give", leaning towards punch rather than top end power.

With the existing hardware modifications and well run-in nature of the customer's vehicle, we were able to write a map that produced peak power lower down in the rev range (around 5250rpm). With a brief boost spike of 1.85 bar, the max torque produced at this spike can be seen in the dyno graph.

The accurate fueling during this overboost period and the aggressive timing allows this figure to be produced through a small rpm range only.

Airflow exceded 205 grams per second at 5250 rpm.

We hope to have answered all the questions raised in this thread and thank the admins for the opertunity to present the facts.

No disrespect intended to any other tuner, but they are not Custom-Code. We have somewhat of a unique understanding of the capabilities of the ME7 ECU and are able to achieve things which sometimes appear impossible

Best Regards

James
Director
Custom-Code Ltd