Jardo's 'Journey to quattro' - My Story...

lovely looking car and great spec. Im biased as its ming blue :icon_thumright:

jardo i hope one day i can make a trip down that way and let you/pay you to put some tlc into my paintwork.
You say this Jarod but I've just been doing some working out....

Currently your 285bhp @ 1420kg's is giving you almost exactly 200 break per tonne

An A3 with 245bhp @ 1150kg's (standard weight) will have 213 break per tonne.

Knowing for a fact my A3 weighs 1060 once I've removed the rear seats etc and once I've got my full stage 2 (circa 245bhp) that'll give me 231 break per tonne! . . About 15% on the S3 and that's before you take into consideration the extra 15% power loss through the 4wd.

I always hate to say it and, right now, you're going to hate to hear it... But perhaps you were right right all along!

Anyway, just saying! . . Cars looking good :thumbsup: once I'm all mapped up you me and prawn should deffo all go have a little play! (prawns only allowed his low boost setting tho)
difference being a ko3 will make its power for ooo about 0.3 seconds.
The ko4 will be singing for about 3 seconds.

Reactions: 16Klappe
Come down some time SK, we can have a little mini meet.

Bodywork is a weird one, I find it therapeutic. Ming Blue is such an easy colour, as long as you don't use too much product and get hazing it covers up all scratches and marks well.

Specs good, I like it. It's a nice daily, who knows how long it will last.

Thanks.

The above is true.

First ever B5 RR day when you took me out in what is now Gops's car.

And the first time Welly took me out in Bumble on the same day..."you're warm now babe, I'm going to ****ing ruin you!"

Reactions: smurfworth
Double darkside.. First the 8P diesel, now the s3! What next? Thought you'd have gone for an ed30 or s3 8p tbh! Nice none the less! Needs that white strip removing tho on the door

Lewis: your weights are a bit out chap I weighed your car at 1220kg with the spare wheel still in.

Fair enough, I think it'd be a safe bet to take your word for that! I was just going off the figures provided by cars-data.com for standard weights and the 1060 figure was what the stripped A3 apparently weighs according to the weigh-bridge at my local scrappy.

Thought it seemed a bit low, deffo wont be using them to weigh scrap in any time soon then! . . Dodgy c***s

So I has had it for a couple of days now, done about 200 miles in it.

Really enjoying it!

Plans are.

1. Fit the DS2500's for daily use.
2. Paint the side pods black.
3. Change the exhaust.
4. Tidy up the interior.
5. Get the meth working properly.
6. Think about removing the diesel geek, although the more I use it the better it feels.
7. Clutch. Nothing wrong with the current one, just to make me feel better.
8. Pickup has been done, but I want to flush the engine with flushing oil and run a conditioner and cleaner through it for 100 miles.
9. Remove the tints.
10. Space the wheels and refurbish them.
11. Four new tires.
12. Liquid gauge

I total that up to be about £1500 worth of work, 6 months to do it in £250 a month to spend on the car.

Then I would like to enter some sprint days with it, or short circuit days. Nicks recent one looks fantastic fun, and I like the competing element of it compared to free for all track days. It would be nice to do a test run, and work up to a target.

My girlfriend is not a huge fan, so I am going to be cleaning her Beetle twice as much to make up for it.

Reactions: Jay A3
Why is the exhaust going and whats a diesel geek? Lol

Car and spec look awesome, going to really enjoy reading your updates and see how you get on with it, loving the wheels and the ride height, think it looks spot on ! 👍

I knew you would like that Jo.

It's not thunder lads, Jardos fired up the Quattro!

Diesel Geek is a super expensive and rather flashy short shift kit.

The exhaust is SO LOUD. It has to go.

I like that people are accepting of this change, I was expecting a lot more agro.

I like that people are accepting of this change, I was expecting a lot more agro.

I don't think there's anything more that needs to be said mate... Historically you've already created all the agro, the rest speaks for it's self!

Anyway, you know it's a relatively friendly bunch here :friends:

Yeh its all good. You had reasons to get the a3 and new reasons for the s3. Peoples views and wants change dont they!

I hankered after your S3 Jo!

I genuinely didn't want an S3, I didn't think "I want an S3, I will look for one." The only S3 I have wanted to own was Jo's, because it was just such a nice car. This one certainly isn't as "nice" as Jo's is, but it is just as great in a very different way.

And if I am honest, I just felt at home as soon as I sat in it.

Dan just posted this up on Facebook and it all fell into place far too easily.

Not to say that I am not hugely enjoying my decision, I am pleasantly surprised by the thing. It's great.

I know comparing a modified car to standard is silly, which is why I will be referring to this as my "AWD Hatchback with a few modifications thrown at it" rather than S3 in the future.

S3 is mich easier to type though lol.
Standard s3's are ok but d3fo not what id consider a hot hatch, barely warm!!
Yours is at a good level of tune though. Wish i got one alreay stage 2.keep it clean dont faff too much and just enjoy it.

Exactly Daz. Just going to make it mint and leave it as it is, it hasn't broken in two years and it's done more drag days than a Brighton rent boy!

I always said with my old A3 I wish I had of left it at 230/290. I was always terrified of it blowing up at 245/320.

All I have to worry about with this is the Relentless, but as it has been welded and t has meth and low torque I am sure it will live.

Correction.. You wanted to own MY S3 :) well not in it's current state!

Met up with Prawn today, fitted a new set of DS2500s and bedded them in properly. So much better.

Prawn thrashed the car, used a gallon of my fuel in 14 miles...*******!

I think he likes it.

It was properly awesome to be out in the cars together again. Why did I ever leave?!

Reactions: Prawn and Sandra
Met up with Prawn today, fitted a new set of DS2500s and bedded them in properly. So much better.

Prawn thrashed the car, used a gallon of my fuel in 14 miles...*******!

I think he likes it.

It was properly awesome to be out in the cars together again. Why did I ever leave?!

Good to see you back Jardo. :) x

Thanks Sandra.

I think so.

He always said he wanted an Evo when he was grown up.

Reactions: Sandra
Whoooooah! Hold on a minute here!
Let me just recap, recoup and get this clear a minute,,,
Jardo has an S3 now?
The ultimate car that he hated, could beat anytime, would never own, or be associated with???

Such a turncoat!
No morals lad!
However, lovely looking vee hickle!
You crack me up son! 👍

Reactions: Sandra
There aren't enough pictures in here.

10464016_1497097377172105_6517167731615534847_n.jpg

10440952_1497097787172064_8433893954427637151_n.jpg

I was quite pleased with myself, swapped the pads over all on my own without even asking Prawn a thing. I'm basically a pro.

Ordered a simple boost pressure switch for the meth, I really cannot be bothered with a complicated controller. I have a green LED in the dash, nicely mounted next to the stereo surround. So I want to get that wired to the switch.

Obviously it will be Prawn that does that, we all know I am incapable of playing with wires.

Also, can we please stop listing nice shiny things on USRT, I would have purchase a roll centre correction kit last night if they were available yet.

And I want a liquid.

Looks like you've not got the RSS looking at those springs. You've got it lucky then, the RSS are mega solid.

No not really, it's loud.

And slow.

Compared to the S3 slayer.

And compared to S3 Slayer V1.

I have to doubt either could keep up with it in the real world though. It's a much faster car point to point, and the other two are now in pieces and destined for scrap.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I love your videos and don't doubt the A3's may have been quicker in a straight line, your gonna have to chuck up a vid of the S3 from standstill in 1st gear like the 2 A3 vids, accelerating from 20mph in 2nd gear in the S3 isn't doing it any justice !

Launching destroys cars, not my cup of tea.

I'd rather speculate and never know than bother launching a 15 year old, 140,000 mile + 290bhp S3 on its original clutch. It has launch control mapped in, and I did launch it a couple of times but mechanical sympathy got the better of me. (Read conscious of big bills...££££)

I'm really not into all that anymore to be fair, a bit sad maybe. :(

Yeah I know what your saying, I seldom launch mine anymore and if I do I'm filled with guilt that I might kill something.

Just stating really that the 2 A3 launches are from 1st gear where the rev gauge goes mental and the power bands are hit, where as the S3 is in 2nd gear off boost initially and takes a while to get going, the A3's for this reason look a lot quicker, think the S3 takes 7-8 seconds to get from 20mph to 60mph !

Just saying ! Lol

Yeah for sure, there are some videos of it at pod somewhere. I will try and get my hands on them.

Poor thing. It's been on track a hand full of times, done ring trips, been crashed an owned by me now. What did it do in a past life to deserve all this?!

Goes to show though, proper servicing and respectful warm up as cool down times and VAG steel is still the business. 140k+ later, and the heads never been off an the box has never left the block.

I ****ing love a good 1.8t.

Reactions: VAG-Slag and Essflee
To be fair James used to clean it all the time.

I had work do an oil flush on it today, flushed with additives and refilled then flushed with flushing fluid and filled with a special additive and some slightly thicker oil for summer.

She really purrs now, sounds just as healthy as my last one did after a head rebuild.

Here is a picture of the engine bay to celebrate.

10352258_1497369777144865_813582499124933763_n.jpg

I have TFSI coils, wow.

I chose a wheel colour for the refurb today, slightly darker than the standard S4 colour, but I think it will really suit the minge blue. The tints will have to come off though so it doesn't look too chav tats tic.

1901947_1497369867144856_1475106950755060838_n.jpg

Reactions: superkarl