Japper - Tuning box

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Japper,have you got your tuning box yet ?

You strike me as an inquisitive and technical sort,so do you plan to prise it apart and see what's inside ?

I'm just curious as to whether these things are little more than a tuppence-ha'penny resistor in a black box !

[ QUOTE ]
Japper,have you got your tuning box yet ?

You strike me as an inquisitive and technical sort,so do you plan to prise it apart and see what's inside ?

I'm just curious as to whether these things are little more than a tuppence-ha'penny resistor in a black box !

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not yet matey.

And yes i'm sure it's a resistor in a box mod. i.e. fools the air temp sensor into thinking it needs more fuel.

aren't you a bit worried that you could be ****** your engine japper... after all, you get what you pay for right?

I can't see how it would damage your engine.
I think there's a bit of 'snobbery' surrounding these boxes but,in my view,the primary aim of any tuning is to get more fuel into and out of an engine.
These boxes 'fooling' the ECU into supplying more fuel is surely no worse than fitting a bigger carb/bigger injectors etc.etc.etc.

I would rather have a full remap but;

A; I can't afford it
B; It's a company car,so I don't wish to spend my own money on it,even if I did have it.
C ; The cost of a remap cannot be recouped by selling it on if you don't like it,or the car is sold.

If this box makes the car run like crap,I'll unplug it and throw it away.

[ QUOTE ]
aren't you a bit worried that you could be ****** your engine japper... after all, you get what you pay for right?

[/ QUOTE ]

LeMan, ditto bowfer's comments. If I was to do the proper 'chip' route and my DSG box started to suffer then I'd have to go to the trouble of having the std map put back. These cheapo tuning boxes produce less BHP increase so could infact be slightly safer. But the main point is if trouble starts, or I don't like it, it gets took off and binned, or resold on e-bay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I mentioned before that a friend of a friend tried a cheap resistor bodge on his tdi A4.
It didn't run worth a damn.
The goods news is that,once the resistor was removed,the car was back to normal with no ill-effects at all.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

The resistor method has been tried and tested on a mkV golf 2.0Tdi and worked ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Perhaps your mate's mate used the value resistor, should have invested the extra 5p and bought a different one ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You're probably right MB.
Unfortunately he's an electrician for MFI so has always had the cheapest possible option drummed into him !

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LeMan, ditto bowfer's comments. If I was to do the proper 'chip' route and my DSG box started to suffer then I'd have to go to the trouble of having the std map put back. These cheapo tuning boxes produce less BHP increase so could infact be slightly safer. But the main point is if trouble starts, or I don't like it, it gets took off and binned, or resold on e-bay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And ditto that comment too. Another mate of mine has just fitted one and is very chuffed indeed.

On a slightly different subject, can anyone explain why a remap is superior to a digital tuning box? Doesn't a digital tuning box have (potentially) the same level of adjustment - ie different fuelling maps for every conceivable combination of gear, throttle position, load etc etc?

Please nobody shout at me - its an innocent question.

Doesn't a remap also tell the turbo to increase it's boost Jungle ?
Whereas a box just does the fuelling ?

That's my understanding anyway !

Japper - which tuning boxed do you have on order. I also have a DSG gearbox and would be interested to try a tuning box that could so easily be removed if there were any indication of problems. Thanks

chaps try a company called dragon Performace ive got a digital kit on my A3 Tdi sport 130 and apart from the extra smoke it does go very well im well chuffed with it. But if you have the money get a proper re-map done i will one day when ive got the money.

Not interested in a 'proper' remap because if it does not work well, creates extra smoke, uses a lot more fuel or creates any problems for the DSG I want to be able to removed it easily. Basically I'm happy with the performance of my existing car, otherwise I would not have bought it. It would just be interesting to try a 'tuning box' to see what difference it makes to performance, fuel economy etc.

I bought mine from a company called www.pdtuning.co.uk

On that site they advertise them as,I think,£49.99 but they also sell on e-bay where you can get them cheaper.
I got one for £29.99.

If you go into e-bay and use the search term 'tuning module' or 'tuning box' you'll get loads to choose from.

I would think myself and Japper will be posting our impressions of our respective choices in due course.

[ QUOTE ]
I bought mine from a company called www.pdtuning.co.uk

On that site they advertise them as,I think,£49.99 but they also sell on e-bay where you can get them cheaper.
I got one for £29.99.

If you go into e-bay and use the search term 'tuning module' or 'tuning box' you'll get loads to choose from.

I would think myself and Japper will be posting our impressions of our respective choices in due course.

[/ QUOTE ]

bowfer,

Look what I got in the post this morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tuning Box

Race ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

I can't get the link to work Japper.
Let me know how you get on fitting it.
Hopefully it's easier than the damned sidelight bulbs !

[ QUOTE ]
I can't get the link to work Japper.
Let me know how you get on fitting it.
Hopefully it's easier than the damned sidelight bulbs !

[/ QUOTE ]

Here goes again.

Linky

Smaller than I thoght at 2" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" excluding connectors, which are genuine VAG connectors and all joints sealed with silicon.

Should be a breeze to fit, but short on time at mo. Just cleaned and waxed car again so must now get some work done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jungle,the very man !
Have you noticed any other 'changes' in the way your car runs at all,apart from faster !
Any change to idle,town driving,overheating etc.etc.etc.??

Nothing else at all - idle, temp, mpg etc unchanged. I did get a CAT light (orange dash warning light - looks like an engine) but this was put down to overfilling with oil by Audi when it was serviced, and the light was no longer after the service and has not returned. Have just put another litre in (26,200 miles) so the car continues to need a litre every 6-7000 miles.

Strange thing though - at first there seemed to be little gain in performance, but after a couple of days it seemed to "wake up". Quite bizarre and no real explanation, apart from perception. Exactly the same thing happened to a friend, who fitted his on Saturday morning and drove down the M1 reporting more low down torque but nothing major. Same guy rang me on Monday saying his car was a rocketship!

OK, need urgent info from jungle or others.

Removed the vag plug with the green security clip, right one ?. Next pulled out plug and got fuel dripping out, caught me by surprise and I knocked the bl**dy security clip into the engine bay.....never to be found again, bast*rd.

Two questions, if this is the correct plug, then I take it I have to remove the steel sensor from the plug once I have pulled the plug out, and if I run the car now until I buy another safety clip, is this plug / sensor going to pop out, i.e. is there any fuel pressure at this point.

Please help the dummy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

OK, now sussed it's the correct plug, but I shouldn't have removed the green safety clip...doh. The plug pulls away before that. Now all I need is a new clip. Suppose I'll have to drive the wife's car tomorrow.

I really wanted to test the tuning box out on such a nice evening, damn it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

sorry japper - just logged on!

Its worth unclipping the cables a few times once you have clipped them in place, just to remember how to undo them in the future.

One more thing you need to beware - do not run the engine without the cables attached (either via the tuning box or without) as your ECU will generate an error message and generally have kittens.

I had one of the analogue tuning boxes from Dragon on my 2.0TDi, after 2 weeks threw a diagnostic light on the motorway.

Had to get Audi road side assistance to attend to reset the fault code - the guy even knew it was the fuel temp sensor that had thrown a bit of data back that was "out of range" hence the fault code!

I don't fancy trying an analogue box ever again on this engine!

Any luck Japper ?
My box just arrived.
The ftting instructions are a bit 'vague'...

[ QUOTE ]
Any luck Japper ?
My box just arrived.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well mate, sorry to say but so far, not impressed at all. Pulled off drive this morning and the power delivery / gear changes ( D mode ) seemed a lot smoother. But since then in both D and manual, the gear box has hiccupped a couple of times when changed down taken a junction and the applied the power again, not nice. Then on a well known piece of road where I can judge what speed I can get upto before hitting the anchors, there was no difference at all. I am going to give it over the weekend to bed in. If it's the same on Monday it's coming off.

Oh and the DIS displaying mileage is more like the one in my Golf now, in that it changes all the time but still gives me the same average.

If you can be bothered dragging yourself into Dyce,you're more than welcome to try my one for comparison ?

It's highly unlikely I'll be fitting mine this weekend anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any luck Japper ?
My box just arrived.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well mate, sorry to say but so far, not impressed at all. Pulled off drive this morning and the power delivery / gear changes ( D mode ) seemed a lot smoother. But since then in both D and manual, the gear box has hiccupped a couple of times when changed down taken a junction and the applied the power again, not nice. Then on a well known piece of road where I can judge what speed I can get upto before hitting the anchors, there was no difference at all. I am going to give it over the weekend to bed in. If it's the same on Monday it's coming off.

Oh and the DIS displaying mileage is more like the one in my Golf now, in that it changes all the time but still gives me the same average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't like the sound of this mate. Although I don't have DSG, I didn't have any problems at all. Maybe you should check the connections are tight etc, and hopefully things will improve over the weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Any update Japper ?
As I suspected,I didn't have the time to fit my box over the weekend so it's still rattling around the glovebox.
The offer of trying my version still stand,if you wish.

Nothing about being a guinea pig for me either,honest !

I just know that I won't be fitting mine until at least Saturday now so if you want a shot,it's yours.

[ QUOTE ]
Any update Japper ?
As I suspected,I didn't have the time to fit my box over the weekend so it's still rattling around the glovebox.
The offer of trying my version still stand,if you wish.

Nothing about being a guinea pig for me either,honest !

I just know that I won't be fitting mine until at least Saturday now so if you want a shot,it's yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi bowfer, sorry been working all day, for once. I took it off on saturday cause it was doin my head in. No performance increase, yet the box was playing up every now and again.

I have been offered a trial of a analogue red i tuning box, and if I like it it's £30 so may try this.

Thanks for the offer, and if you need someone to fit yours, then give me a shout on wednesday as i'm in your area then.

BTW: I took the tuning box apart and the resister is encased in silicon, but looks like a really light duty one at about 2mm dia. x 6mm long. Dont know the ohm rating.

Man,that's a bummer Japper.
Just goes to show there's good ones and bad ones,even in the cheapo versions I suppose.
I'd love to take you up on the offer of free fitting of my one,but I'm not letting on to anyone at my work that I'm fitting one.
They'd certainly question a 'stranger' (to them) raking around under the bonnet !

[ QUOTE ]
Man,that's a bummer Japper.
Just goes to show there's good ones and bad ones,even in the cheapo versions I suppose.
I'd love to take you up on the offer of free fitting of my one,but I'm not letting on to anyone at my work that I'm fitting one.
They'd certainly question a 'stranger' (to them) raking around under the bonnet !

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Just realised that the red i tuning box dose not fit the 2.0 TDI either, bummer.

Eeef,

How's the Forge remap goin. Have you had it done yet ?.

I take it you haven't noticed any problems with the car now that it's back to standard then ?

I'll have to fit mine soon as I'm due to leave feedback on ebay about it.

I'm not leaving feedback without trying it first.