Jamie's 3.0 TDI V6 Progress Thread

Car is in for the replacement clutch and fly wheel today, once that's done I'll move on to a remap, Dpf delete and quad exhaust :)

Nope, they are out of stock. Same as every aftermarket supplier.

You can't buy it anywhere apart from Audi until at least February.

The garage I have used thought they were supplied with the right kit but it wasn't, but they all ready quoted me so can't really change the price.

So now they've complained to Audi saying they don't want me to pay the extra because the kit needed is fairly more expensive and that Audi and LUK should, for providing the wrong part.

The old stuff is off the car waiting for the new one from Audi which will be there in the morning.

Drama

Thats not good, Hopefully the reason for the lack of clutches is that they rarely go wrong.
Been looking at what some of the european guys do with this engine and there are plenty of them on stock clutches over 700Nm .
The one guy appears to have just scraped 400bhp and 850Nm but it looks like the clutch actually started slipping at those kind of levels.
We have a twin 228mm clutch and in my experience a single standard 228mm clutch is good for 350-400Nm so I would expect the twin to hold 700-800Nm.

Exclusive Audi A5 Ipanema Brown! - A5_OC

Revo Stage2+ 360hp 750nm 3.0TDI - A5_OC

Audi A5 3.0tdi Dyno run 402.2hp 850nm - YouTube

Karl.

Thats not good, Hopefully the reason for the lack of clutches is that they rarely go wrong.
Been looking at what some of the european guys do with this engine and there are plenty of them on stock clutches over 700Nm .
The one guy appears to have just scraped 400bhp and 850Nm but it looks like the clutch actually started slipping at those kind of levels.
We have a twin 228mm clutch and in my experience a single standard 228mm clutch is good for 350-400Nm so I would expect the twin to hold 700-800Nm.

Exclusive Audi A5 Ipanema Brown! - A5_OC

Revo Stage2+ 360hp 750nm 3.0TDI - A5_OC

Audi A5 3.0tdi Dyno run 402.2hp 850nm - YouTube

Karl.

I have a judder in 1st and reverse which was really bad if reversing up hill etc, was also starting to get crunchy into gears.

Audi offered me money back to give them the old clutch, which the parts guy said would be to stop the aftermarket getting hold of them.

So audi would like to be the only supplier.

Mines probably worn a bit faster due to being a dealer demonstrator to be honest

Clutch is now done finally!

Gear changes feel a lot better and so does pulling away in first and reverse. But I feel I've got a lot lighter wallet :-o

Good news, just need to break it in a bit before hammering it on a dyno :) .

Karl.

Good news, just need to break it in a bit before hammering it on a dyno :) .

Karl.

Yeah, wander how long for?

To be honest I thought I felt a slight judder just now :( hmm we'll see, it's got a warranty anyway but I'm sure I felt the same judder.

But gear changes are alot better

Just out of interest did you get to see the old clutch, or was it whizzed away to be exchanged.
As for the clutch should be good after 500-1000 miles depending on how much you are using it.
Last 2 clutches I have had on a car had some judder for the first few days as the high spots on the face got knocked off. After about 100 miles they were fine.

Karl.

I did ask to see it before they started but they had to give it to audi I don't know if they already have or not but I'll ask Monday morning.

It does feel like a new clutch though

Recent stuff done to the car.

I changed the engine oil and filter wasn't due but I do it quite often on all my cars for peace of mind I suppose

Also changed the gearbox oil today using Castrol Syntrans transaxle 75w90 oil which cost me £40 for 4 litres which wasn't too bad.

Gear changes are notably smoother but to be honest I haven't drove it much since doing it. The oil that come ohut of the gearbox didn't look too bad.

Also been busy stripping my interior panels ie headlining, light cluster and pillars which are all going to be replaced with s line/black edition black trim.

Reason for doing this is I like the all black look and I think it will look less odd rather than having most black interior then cream top half.

Uploadfromtaptalk1393713558919

Next to do is the differential oil which looks very simple to do.

Also planning on a quad exhaust and rs4 grill

Few updates;

Black headliner and pillars finished, bit of a nightmare but worth it.

Quad diffuser at the ready off to custom exhaust place tomorrow to figure out what tips I want...

Few pics from todays clean coming, watch this space........

Quad diffuser trial fitted, will have the tail pipes fitted soon.

What you guys think, no a great pic though I know haha

Uploadfromtaptalk1398775096802

Looks spot on, think it all hangs together really well. Very nice car.

Looks spot on, think it all hangs together really well. Very nice car.

Thanks mate, it should look really well once I decide to fit the s line blades too. Just never get round to it lol

I can't wait until the exhaust system is complete it will sound amazing!

Reactions: warren_S5
Looking good, can't wait to hear & see it. What you ha ring done ie straight through full system (turbo back) or a half system and any boxes in there, also what size pipe?

Keeping standard size diameter, gutted dpf, no silencers, quad exit and a remap :)

Rite cool look forward to hearing it, I had 2.5" straight through half system and it sounds good but just booked in for a dpf delete so will be a turbo back done in 2.5" oh & stage 2 map

Yeah I heard without the dpf delete you can't get much grunt out of the system, silencer delete is being done before the dpf delete anyway so will see the difference on standard, silencer delete then complete straight through

Don't gut your dpf though mate they cost far too much to be doing that with, whoever is making your new one just get them to make a delete pipe with a dummy dpf that way still looks like there is one there.

Last edited:
Don't guy your dpf though mate they cost far too much to be doing that with, whoever is making your new one just get them to make a delete pipe with a dummy dpf that way still looks like there is one there.

How do you mean buy one that's nackered?

No they will just make a false dpf basically a straight through pipe with a piece welded around to make it look like the dpf is still there.

No they will just make a false dpf basically a straight through pipe with a piece welded around to make it look like the dpf is still there.

Wouldn't it be a bit tough making it look like a convincing dpf though? Is this how your doing it?

He asked me if I wanted a dummy dpf but I said no as I am happy to just have a straight through pipe, don't know why I said know as I have since thought I might as well just have one as it won't be doing any harm, that way any unknowing copper if I ever were to be pulled up over it I could show them that and say its there lol so I think I will have one out in for the sake of it. I don't think its hard to replicate how a dpf looks at all it should be quite simple really and as they all look different I doubt most will know exactly the shape of the A4 dpf.

Police are not going to bother with a DPF, the only issue you will have is with an MOT, obviously a pipe isn't going to be good enough. Thats assuming you can see the DPF without removing any engine covers etc.
It would be difficult to make a fake DPF that would fool somebody who knows what they are looking for. They have bosses for the EGT sensors pre and post DPF as well as pressure tappings to measure the pressure drop across the DPF.
The DPF/ cat really kills the noise that the car makes .
This is my car with no exhaust but still with the DPF /cat on

And again with the exhaust disconnected but no DPF /cat a significant difference.

Karl.

Reactions: SI-W85 and kanecullen89
So do you think there is no point getting them to put a dummy in place? It won't cost me anymore to have one put in. Also what engine is your car that sounds really good.

Last edited:
He asked me if I wanted a dummy dpf but I said no as I am happy to just have a straight through pipe, don't know why I said know as I have since thought I might as well just have one as it won't be doing any harm, that way any unknowing copper if I ever were to be pulled up over it I could show them that and say its there lol so I think I will have one out in for the sake of it. I don't think its hard to replicate how a dpf looks at all it should be quite simple really and as they all look different I doubt most will know exactly the shape of the A4 dpf.

Who's doing your dpf delete mate?

So do you think there is no point getting them to put a dummy in place? It won't cost me anymore to have one put in. Also what engine is your car that sounds really good.

If it costs no more then go for it, with just a pipe if you can see the DPF without removing engine covers then it may be an MOT failure.
My car is a 3.0 V6 TDI, they really sound nothing like a diesel with the right exhaust system on.Theres a link to my build thread at the bottom of the post.
The supersprint system is basically a straight through pipe with tailpieces on to make it look like an exhaust

Audi A5 3 0 TDI full Supersprint exhaust - YouTube

Karl.

You can see the dpf without removing engine covers so I think I will get one out in just for the sake of it, the 3.0 v6 sound awsome with a tubo back exhaust, biggest regret not getting the 3.0tdi as mines only 2.0tdi I am unsure what it will sound like & if I hadn't done so much to it already I would sell it and buy a 3.0 :( but hey ho its due an mot in a month but it will pass an mot with the guy who I take it to ;)

If you are looking for a one stop solution for the mapping and exhaust you could try Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments in Stockport, It's where I had mine remapped and the DPF/cat removed .

Karl.

If you are looking for a one stop solution for the mapping and exhaust you could try Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments in Stockport, It's where I had mine remapped and the DPF/cat removed .

Karl.

Yes I need to get a quote off him to be honest

Karl.

What did you get charged if you mind mind me asking, as I'm paying £230 inc vat for dpf delete & £150 for stage 2 and dpf software delete.

Quick one from last night, quads should be on this week or next :)

Uploadfromtaptalk1398870288414

What did you get charged if you mind mind me asking, as I'm paying £230 inc vat for dpf delete & £150 for stage 2 and dpf software delete.

That is cheap especially for the remap part of it. I paid £600 all in but that involved at least 6 hours of data logging and mapping .Also I think the DPF is more difficult to remove on my car compared to a 2.0 .
Lost count of the number of times the map was tweaked and reloaded. The map was completely custom for my car, i told Rick what I wanted and he worked his magic. As my car is a quattro theres only a few places that have 4wd dynos in comparison to 2wd dynos of which there are many.
If I hadn't gone to Rick I would have probably gone to AMD and they charge £699 but I would probably have not got as good a map, and Essex is a good deal furter away

Karl.

That is cheap especially for the remap part of it. I paid £600 all in but that involved at least 6 hours of data logging and mapping .Also I think the DPF is more difficult to remove on my car compared to a 2.0 .
Lost count of the number of times the map was tweaked and reloaded. The map was completely custom for my car, i told Rick what I wanted and he worked his magic. As my car is a quattro theres only a few places that have 4wd dynos in comparison to 2wd dynos of which there are many.
If I hadn't gone to Rick I would have probably gone to AMD and they charge £699 but I would probably have not got as good a map, and Essex is a good deal furter away

Karl.

I'm in two minds what to do, amd or the guy you used. Did he have a 4x4 rr?

No Rick doesn't have a 4x4 RR we did most of the mapping with logs from 3rd gear acceleration runs. You don't drive your car on a RR you drive it on the road. Problem is with Rolling roads is the temperatures get quite hot quite quick especially with more powerful cars.
Running on the road everything cools down a lot quicker.
If the person doing the tuning knows what he is doing it's not a problem.

Karl.

Map and dpf delete is next on the list, after exhaust. Will message then for a quote, what would you say roughly for the longer downpipe dpf?