Jamie's 3.0 TDI V6 Progress Thread

Jamie-S

Reaction score
Having owned the car for about 1.5 months now thought I would make a progress thread for people to read and share what I do/will do to the car.

Which is a Phantom Black, SE, 2008 on a '57 reg. Possibly one of the earliest B8's.

Spec includes MMI 2G, NAV, Parking system plus, Rear view camera Audi drive select, Audi side assist, Audi lane assist, Heated seats, Bang & Olufsen sound system, Xenons, DRL's, Adaptive lights, Interior light pack, Adaptive cruise control, Audi hold assist, 18" wheels.

Pretty much straight away after I bought it I had the check emission light appear, turns out it was the swirl flap linkages that need replacing. Using Audi's radiate kit which was £9 a side I replaced the easy side first which didn't fix it so had to do the other side which was a pita. But it's done now and know light since :)

2 mods I have done are fitted S line tread plates and heko wind deflectors.

More mods still need to be fitted including;

Black headliner and pillar trims

Audi accessories spoiler (taped in place)
Uploadfromtaptalk1386854214325
Uploadfromtaptalk1386854236395

Audi S line blades, stoneguards of side skirts whatever you want to call them.
Uploadfromtaptalk1386854313035

Interior LED set has recently arrived, might wait until I fit the headlining and fit these at the same time. Waiting on a set of leds for the number plate too.

Debadged the rear apart from the quattro badge

Before
Uploadfromtaptalk1386854471074
After
View attachment 24481

Also done the usual stuff with vcds

Lap timer
Uploadfromtaptalk1386854923026
Needle sweep
Cornering fogs
Adaptive brake lights
batterer meter
Uploadfromtaptalk1386854631240
Welcome screen
Etc.

Couple of pics, did have more but I dropped my phone in the toilet :banghead:

View attachment 24483
Uploadfromtaptalk1386854957171
Uploadfromtaptalk1386854981085
Uploadfromtaptalk1386855052280
Uploadfromtaptalk1386855009661
Uploadfromtaptalk1386855080449
Uploadfromtaptalk1386855096797

Will be getting a new clutch and flywheel soon to avoid disappointment when I will eventually get it remapped.

Already bought the flywheel but the luk clutch is out of stock everywhere!

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Good progress Jamie, its coming along well! Good Work! :) The de-badging makes such a difference.

Great idea starting a build thread, You can put everything in one place and see the car change as you mod it.
Is the spoiler an Audi part or aftermarket as the boot lid already has quite a pronounced lip to give the same kind of effect as a spoiler.
Also how many miles has your car done if you thinking of changing out the clutch ?.

Karl.

Great idea starting a build thread, You can put everything in one place and see the car change as you mod it.
Is the spoiler an Audi part or aftermarket as the boot lid already has quite a pronounced lip to give the same kind of effect as a spoiler.
Also how many miles has your car done if you thinking of changing out the clutch ?.

Karl.

Genuine Audi accessory, mines a SE so doesn't have the 'built in' lip like the s lines or s4

83k now, as I said it's just a precaution before a remap as I don't want the disappointment of clutch/fly failure after a remap. But there is a very slight judder in 1st and reverse so I know after a remap it's going to highlight that

Just noticed one of those pictures appears to have been taken in a graveyard ??.

Dmf came today, very quick delivery but can't do nothing without a clutch :( can't find one anywhere

Uploadfromtaptalk1386970555591

Fitted a interior LED kit today, looks alot better and more modern.

Spot lights LED compared to halogen.

Uploadfromtaptalk1387054279950

Also did number plate lights with the ones you recommended point Audi

Uploadfromtaptalk1387054356226

Reactions: Point_Audi
Very nice dude, strange seeing a B8 on a 57 plate. :)

Bet you could find one in the dealers.But you wouldn't like the price. Good job you don't really need it at the moment.

Bet you could find one in the dealers.But you wouldn't like the price. Good job you don't really need it at the moment.

I know, would be gutted if I really needed it.

Apparently they should be in stores end of January but who knows.

Thinking of plastidipping the grill

Standard

View attachment 24725

All black (ignore quattro badge will be black too)

Uploadfromtaptalk1387444263348

Audi rings left chrome

Uploadfromtaptalk1387444291958

I know my tow eye cover is missing eagle eyed people! :D

Thoughts? Is just a photoshop so would probably look better when done.....

Rear rings black or not touch them?

View attachment 24728

Jamie, did you decided to Plastidip the grill in the end? .. Think if doing my chrome surround on the front but not sure how it will come up against the Monza Silver!

Was it hard to fit the LED interior package? What lights did you replace and where did you get them from?
Nice looking car by the way.

Not to hi-jack Jamies thread or anything. But I upgraded the interior lights to LED also, done the front and rear light. I got them from Trups, great service and excellent quality. They are very easily fitted plenty of guides and videos to help! :)

Jamie, did you decided to Plastidip the grill in the end? .. Think if doing my chrome surround on the front but not sure how it will come up against the Monza Silver!

Haven't done it yet, debating weather to get the RS4 style grill.

These are the leds I bought http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251063528984

No problems with warning lights and very bright white.

Very very easy fitting, there is even a guide somewhere....

RS4 grills look nice but I think a bit expensive for replica

Yea I do agree Jamie even the replicas are expensive. Be good to find one in a breakers, if only!lol ..

Thanks for the Info guys. I don't have the lighting pack (and I presume it would be a pain to retrofit?) but I defo fancy upgrading the front and rear interior lights.

By the way, this is where I got my RS4 grille from (hard to get in gloss unless you want an all mesh copy from China):
Audi A4 S4 B8 09-12 RS Style Gloss Black Mesh Front Hood Bumper Grill | eBay

If you want to retro fit, headlining needs cutting to allow sunvisor lights, then wiring etc

How was the fitment of that grill? Did you have to remove bumper to replace?

Also did you pay import vat on that considering it comes from USA?

If you want to retro fit, headlining needs cutting to allow sunvisor lights, then wiring etc

How was the fitment of that grill? Did you have to remove bumper to replace?

Also did you pay import vat on that considering it comes from USA?
Well tbh I haven't had a chance to fit it yet as I'm still out of the country for another 3 weeks. The only way to fit these grills is by removing the bumper which I'm assured is a fairly easy job.
I had to pay £8 import tax and £8 Parcelforce admin fee!

How do you go on if you have front parking sensors with that grille ?

How do you go on if you have front parking sensors with that grille ?
I don't have any parking sensors but you can get the grille that comes with the two parking sensors holders for no cost option. I have seen some of the guys for the grilles with them on here.

I've just fitted a facelift RS4 grille a few weeks back and the removal of the front bumper was much easier than I expected to be honest.

Just a case of removing the plastics holding it top and bottom, then the arches are loosened off and the bolts inside the arches are loosened and the bumper popped off. Took me and a friend 2 hours to remove, change the grille and replace. We'd never touched the A4 bumper before so we didn't think that was a bad amount of time. :)

I'd recommend doing it with a mate if only to help lift off the bumper without bending it to keep the paint from cracking or chipping.

I've just fitted a facelift RS4 grille a few weeks back and the removal of the front bumper was much easier than I expected to be honest.

Just a case of removing the plastics holding it top and bottom, then the arches are loosened off and the bolts inside the arches are loosened and the bumper popped off. Took me and a friend 2 hours to remove, change the grille and replace. We'd never touched the A4 bumper before so we didn't think that was a bad amount of time. :)

I'd recommend doing it with a mate if only to help lift off the bumper without bending it to keep the paint from cracking or chipping.
Is there any sensors in the bumper you have to unplug or watch out for? I don't have parking sensors so that's one less thing to worry about

Is there any sensors in the bumper you have to unplug or watch out for? I don't have parking sensors so that's one less thing to worry about

I think that the parking sensors were the main ones... I'd say it's best to disconnect your fog ligts before you remove the bumper as well though, just to save pulling on wires. I seem to think there was the thermometer sensor cable as well but can't be sure. If you just pull the bumper away carefully you'll soon see anything still attached. All the wires have plenty play in them so as long as you're careful you shouldn't damage anything. :)

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I'll need one compatible with parking sensors

Is there an RS4 style fog light grills?

Last edited:
There are, but they aren't cheap.
I custom made my own.

What did you do? I was thinking of dremmelling out all the bits of material between the honeycombs and painting it gloss black but wasn't sure how it would look with the foglight fixture behind it...

I basically dremelled away the back plate of the grille surround and stick in some aftermarket mesh.
Next step is to fill gaps, and spray in gloss black.

IMG_0062_zpsc413ced8.jpg

Ah, you have the pre-facelift. I'll have to pull them out and have a look behind to make sure it won't look stupid before I tackle it. :)

Yours looks good though!