James Woj’s Silver B8 Audi S4 Avant project / build thread – Previously S400 MSH

JamesWoj

Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly thanks for looking at my thread, my previous car was my first Audi – an A3 8P 3.2 DSG in lava grey and now I have bought a silver B8 Audi S4 Avant, the previous registration number was S400 MSH and I believe the car might have been on the forums from searching the internet for photos. The plate has been retained as I have my own private plate EP 400 but the plate is going to my friend who has a silver B5 S4 Avant.

The car has had I think most of the modifications MRC do for the B8 S4 along with some other modifications including:
  • MRC stage 2 Hardware and Remap upgrade
  • MRC S-Tronic Gearbox Remap
  • MRC Radiator / Pump / Reservoir Charge Cooler Upgrade
  • Supersprint Cat back exhaust system
  • Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers
  • H & R front and rear anti roll bars
  • RS5 front brake upgrade with 8 pot caliper and 365mm discs
I must say a massive thanks to MRC who I had numerous e-mails and phone calls with and gave me all the information I needed to know about the car and very honest opinions as I was a bit of a pain in the a**. When my friend went there to get his S4 B8 fitted with the Stage 2 Kit they gave him copies of all the receipts missing the contact details of the owner which was fantastic and I can't thank them enough.

The exterior and interior of the car was standard when I got it apart from a few factory options and I have so far completed the following:
  • Sprayed rear valance gloss black but retained the chrome centre piece
  • Sprayed fog lamp surrounds gloss black
  • Sprayed chrome surround on front grill gloss black
  • LED front fog lamp bulbs to match the running lights
  • LED front indicator bulbs
  • LED rear number plate bulbs
  • MRC badge under the engine bay
Future plans (hopefully), I would like to get the car to what I can OEM+ as if Audi could have made the car this way out the factory:
  • Set of 19” wheels, maybe S5 and good quality tyres
  • Gloss black whole front grill with chrome Audi rings
  • Get the rear valance and fog lamp surrounds sprayed professionally gloss black at some point
Will get the car to Totally VAG (Exeter) and ADI (Castle Combe) this year so looking forward to them and maybe meet some members.

Hope you like the car, happy to have any comments or suggestions, maybe even the previous owner will see this!

A couple of photos from the Haynes Motor Museum breakfast meet this morning

Reactions: Chop., Rikjames, THQuattro and 9 others
Hi all,

Firstly thanks for looking at my thread, my previous car was my first Audi – an A3 8P 3.2 DSG in lava grey and now I have bought a silver B8 Audi S4 Avant, the previous registration number was S400 MSH and I believe the car might have been on the forums from searching the internet for photos. The plate has been retained as I have my own private plate EP 400 but the plate is going to my friend who has a silver B5 S4 Avant.

The car has had I think most of the modifications MRC do for the B8 S4 along with some other modifications including:
  • MRC stage 2 Hardware and Remap upgrade
  • MRC S-Tronic Gearbox Remap
  • MRC Radiator / Pump / Reservoir Charge Cooler Upgrade
  • Supersprint Cat back exhaust system
  • Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers
  • H & R front and rear anti roll bars
  • RS5 front brake upgrade with 8 pot caliper and 365mm discs
I must say a massive thanks to MRC who I had numerous e-mails and phone calls with and gave me all the information I needed to know about the car and very honest opinions as I was a bit of a pain in the a**. When my friend went there to get his S4 B8 fitted with the Stage 2 Kit they gave him copies of all the receipts missing the contact details of the owner which was fantastic and I can't thank them enough.

The exterior and interior of the car was standard when I got it apart from a few factory options and I have so far completed the following:
  • Sprayed rear valance gloss black but retained the chrome centre piece
  • Sprayed fog lamp surrounds gloss black
  • Sprayed chrome surround on front grill gloss black
  • LED front fog lamp bulbs to match the running lights
  • LED front indicator bulbs
  • LED rear number plate bulbs
  • MRC badge under the engine bay
Future plans (hopefully), I would like to get the car to what I can OEM+ as if Audi could have made the car this way out the factory:
  • Set of 19” wheels, maybe S5 and good quality tyres
  • Gloss black whole front grill with chrome Audi rings
  • Get the rear valance and fog lamp surrounds sprayed professionally gloss black at some point
Will get the car to Totally VAG (Exeter) and ADI (Castle Combe) this year so looking forward to them and maybe meet some members.

Hope you like the car, happy to have any comments or suggestions, maybe even the previous owner will see this!

A couple of photos from the Haynes Motor Museum breakfast meet this morning

@JamesWoj - Hi & :welcome!: to the B8 Forum mate
Great looking S4 Avant !

Nice buy with those mods,will save you thousands in mods I imagine :)

Sounds like a right beast! I can't wait to get up to MRC... going to be a while yet though.

I'm hopefully going up to totally VAG on the Sunday, weather pending, will keep my eye out for you.

@JamesWoj - Hi & :welcome!: to the B8 Forum mate
Great looking S4 Avant !

Hey many thanks for the comments

Nice buy with those mods,will save you thousands in mods I imagine :)

Yes that was one of the main reasons I bought it, I wouldn't have been able to afford to do all those modifications if I'd bought a standard car

Sounds like a right beast! I can't wait to get up to MRC... going to be a while yet though.

I'm hopefully going up to totally VAG on the Sunday, weather pending, will keep my eye out for you.

Yeah it is a beast, from my previous car to this one I've double my power, ran 500ps and 593NM of torque at MRC in the video below

Ran a 12.4 at 110mph at Santa Pod a few weeks ago with a 30mph headwind, might have a change of getting into the 11's next time round.

Feel free to come and say hi at totally VAG, my S4 will be in the show n shine, are you on a stand or in show n shine?

Welcome to s4 group,i should be at combe too with mine.cheers Andy.

Cheers Andy, hopefully see you at Combe then

Reactions: Chop. and xpoweruk
Feel free to come and say hi at totally VAG, my S4 will be in the show n shine, are you on a stand or in show n shine?

I'll be at the show and shine i think. I went last year as part of a stand (#ShedWERX) and we won best club stand :D, the guys are not so keen this year due to all the extra rules and the fact it's moved up to the north from Cornwall, so i think only a few of us are going to come up for the day.

I'll be at the show and shine i think. I went last year as part of a stand (#ShedWERX) and we won best club stand :D, the guys are not so keen this year due to all the extra rules and the fact it's moved up to the north from Cornwall, so i think only a few of us are going to come up for the day.

Excellent, hopefully see you tomorrow, come and say hi if you see me

Sorry i didn't go up today mate, didn't really hear many good things about it so decided to do some much needed decorating in the house instead. Did see a photo of yours parked up next to a bloke i met at a show up exeter a few months back though

No worries at all, it was alright but there weren't many car club stands mainly just show 'n' shine. Shame they didn't have the ramp which they did last year which you could take your car on and you could see the winners cars. Still cheap local day out for £5.

Where did you see those pictures? I thought he was you as he had a sprint blue S4 avant! Seemed like a really nice guy

His son sent me a picture on instagram chat thingy. Yea last year it was a really fun show, spent the whole weekend there bombing around the camp site on my mates tractor (probably the reason so many rules were put in place this year, whoops!) I've only met the bloke once, up at bhp earlier this year, he did seem sound though.

Just put my name down for ADI so will catch you there instead :)

His son sent me a picture on instagram chat thingy. Yea last year it was a really fun show, spent the whole weekend there bombing around the camp site on my mates tractor (probably the reason so many rules were put in place this year, whoops!) I've only met the bloke once, up at bhp earlier this year, he did seem sound though.

Just put my name down for ADI so will catch you there instead :)

Ah right I see. Yes I remember that, was very cool indeed!!! Yeah he seemed alright, very chatty and friendly.

Excellent, will see you there, looks like there will be a few B8 S4s on the stand

Further update

Managed to find a set of 8.5J x 19 ET32 S5 wheels on eBay in shadow chrome so put them on the car for the Totally VAG show in Exeter recently. Not sure about the shadow chrome but love the wheels (they need a refurb anyway).

Won best in class (A4, S4, RS4) at Totally VAG which was really good, thought i'd post a couple of photos below, be interested to think what people think about wheel colour, whether to go factory silver, grey, black or shadow chrome again.

Reactions: THQuattro, xpoweruk and Lavis89
Looks really clean! My paint badly needs a blow over :(

It's not too bad but probably spent 15 hours on the paintwork detailing it and bought some specific products for the colour. Got a new front bumper being painted as someone has ripped the side mounts off with a new front grill too. Will look much better after that.

Reactions: frankv27
...be interested to think what people think about wheel colour, whether to go factory silver, grey, black or shadow chrome again.

Lovely looking car with some excellent mods! :)

Reference the wheels, I think they look nice but how do they fit in with your plans for the styling of the rest of the car?

Breaking it down:
Window Surrounds - do you plan to continue the gloss black theme through to these?
Fog grills - you mentioned doing/getting these redone in gloss black (so they were presumably chrome before?).
Front grill - you mentioned going entirely gloss black for the front grill. Many seem to go for the gloss black honeycomb replacement. Is this something you've considered (as may actually prove cheaper than a professional respray)?
Mirrors - Do you plan to keep these in the OEM aluminium silver?
Rear valance/diffuser - have you had any quotes for professional respray, and do you plan to retain the strip trim silver? Reason for asking is that I've had quotes up to £250 just for a respray of this(!), and there are quality alternatives out there that can be supplied pre-painted gloss black, depending on the styling you're after.
Badges - you mentioned retaining chrome Audi rings on the front grill. Presumably, yuo plan to retain the OEM 'S4' and 'V6T' badges in chrome also? BTW, have you changed the rear Audi rings already, only they looked quite dark in the earlier (Haynes Motor Museum breakfast meet) pictures?

Wasn't sure if you're going for a 'black edition' look, with silver/chrome trimmings - if so, then perhaps the window surrounds may be on the cards for gloss black also?
If, instead, you're going for a full gloss black trimming look, then will you black out everything apart from maybe the Audi rings?

Either way, then maybe a shadow chrome finish to the wheels may be a good match, but then I guess gloss black could fit as well (for the 'full gloss black trimming theme)... although I, personally, would only fit gloss black wheels to a red car.
Alternatively, even though white / gloss black was the main theme to my car, I opted for gunmetal for the wheels (and some trim to carry it through), rather than black, so that it looks black in some light but can also look a lot lighter.
May be another option to consider (especially the 2-tone look, if you're carrying through a couple of themes - i.e. gloss black and chrome).

For reference, original peelers:

More recent rotors:

Reactions: Ben85

Reference the wheels, I think they look nice but how do they fit in with your plans for the styling of the rest of the car?

Breaking it down:
Window Surrounds - do you plan to continue the gloss black theme through to these?
Fog grills - you mentioned doing/getting these redone in gloss black (so they were presumably chrome before?).
Front grill - you mentioned going entirely gloss black for the front grill. Many seem to go for the gloss black honeycomb replacement. Is this something you've considered (as may actually prove cheaper than a professional respray)?
Rear valance/diffuser - have you had any quotes for professional respray, and do you plan to retain the strip trim silver? Reason for asking is that I've had quotes up to £250 just for a respray of this(!), and there are quality alternatives out there that can be supplied pre-painted gloss black, depending on the styling you're after.
Badges - you mentioned retaining chrome Audi rings on the front grill. Presumably, yuo plan to retain the OEM 'S4' and 'V6T' badges in chrome also? BTW, have you changed the rear Audi rings already, only they looked quite dark in the earlier (Haynes Motor Museum breakfast meet) pictures?

Wasn't sure if you're going for a 'black edition' look, with silver/chrome trimmings - if so, then perhaps the window surrounds may be on the cards for gloss black also?
If, instead, you're going for a full gloss black trimming look, then will you black out everything apart from maybe the Audi rings?

Either way, then maybe a shadow chrome finish to the wheels may be a good match, but then I guess gloss black could fit as well (for the 'full gloss black trimming theme)... although I, personally, would only fit gloss black wheels to a red car.
Alternatively, even though white / gloss black was the main theme to my car, I opted for gunmetal for the wheels (and some trim to carry it through), rather than black, so that it looks black in some light but can also look a lot lighter.
May be another option to consider (especially the 2-tone look, if you're carrying through a couple of themes - i.e. gloss black and chrome).

More recent rotors:

I did my stock diffuser and fog surrounds with a can of gloss black plastic paint for outdoor furniture lol.Cheap as chips and doesn't look too bad.

Breaking it down:

More recent rotors:

Luv the rotors mate.

Reactions: TechNick

Breaking it down:

More recent rotors:

Hi Nick,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your comments, been on holiday for a few weeks and only recently got back.

Firstly loving your car with the wheels, diffuser, wide arch kit, all comes together really well, it’s now been resprayed in a multi-colour flip paint I believe, seen it at ADI and on Driving Passions Facebook news feed.

In response here are my thoughts:

Window surrounds: Retain as chrome as I want to keep some chrome pieces on the car and Silver is the closest colour to these chrome trims so doesn’t stand out too much. If I had a saloon (and therefore didn’t have the roof rails) I might consider going gloss black. I’ve seen black editions (I know their matt black and not gloss black) but I wasn’t too keen on the black roof rails.

Fog Grills: These were chrome but have been painted gloss black with an aerosol. I know you can get matt black black edition fog grills but they seem to be around £100 per pair second hand. Have yours just been sprayed gloss black or are they black edition ones?

Front Grill: I want a grill the same as yours (has yours been resprayed or did you buy it like that?) Standard design but all gloss black apart from chrome Audi rings. I wouldn’t respray my grill as would probably be too much labour for prep, found a company on eBay who do them for £180 but have been out of stock for months, can only get ones with plastic welded parking sensor mounts which I don’t want.

Rear valance / diffuser: I would really like a diffuser from Driving Passion but can’t really justify the £500 for gloss black. Therefore I would retain the chrome trim piece and get the rest painted gloss black (I know people in the trade so hopefully wouldn’t be as much as £250). Would be interested if a company/companies make a standard rear valance in gloss black (same design as Audi but gloss black and still fits the chrome trim).

Badges: Chrome Audi badge on the front, chrome Audi badge on the back (think it’s the light / my editing for the rear badge in the breakfast meet photo, it’s definitely chrome). I have removed the V6T badges as I didn’t like them and it spoilt the clean lines down the side for me. As I want a gloss black standard front grill which has an S4 badge (and I don’t want to go S-Line grill) I am also retaining the S4 badge on the back (and someone took the old badge off with a screwdriver so hides that mess!).

I think yes it’s a sort of black edition but not going quite that far – Gloss black front grill, fog lamp covers and rear diffuser, retain S4 badges, leave all the other chrome (front bumper bottom retain chrome to go with rear diffuser).

I’m still not entirely sure about the wheels, not going to get them refurbished until early next year so got some time to think, at the moment I’m thinking I quite like gun mental grey (but this would introduce another colour), or maybe just a factory silver (could do gloss black for inside of the wheel as something different but would still fit the theme – although would be silver on silver). I am not sure about gloss black either tbh – definitely works well with red I agree.

I did my stock diffuser and fog surrounds with a can of gloss black plastic paint for outdoor furniture lol.Cheap as chips and doesn't look too bad.

Yeah I agree Andy - wanted to make sure I liked the look before I got them professionally resprayed, I definitely do though.

Sorry I missed out on having a s4 chat at combe guys.

No problem, was a good day out although I didn't get to chat to everyone as much as I had hoped. Also thanks to everyone who looked after my wheels for sale as I went out for the lunchtime parade.

Only got a couple of photos (just as we were about to go home) of me and my friends B5 S4

That looks lovely, What are your thoughts on the s-tronic? Would you consider a manual given the choice?

That looks lovely, What are your thoughts on the s-tronic? Would you consider a manual given the choice?

Hi, thanks for your comments.

Love the s-tronic had dsg in my previous A3 and really liked it. I wouldn't go back to a manual now, cheaper tax, better fuel economy, full throttle gear changes.

You might say the manual is more involving not that I've driven one but that didn't put me off

Hi Nick,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your comments, been on holiday for a few weeks and only recently got back.

Firstly loving your car with the wheels, diffuser, wide arch kit, all comes together really well, it’s now been resprayed in a multi-colour flip paint I believe, seen it at ADI and on Driving Passions Facebook news feed.
No problem at all, and you're very welcome.
Thank you. The new paint (well, dip) finish will likely have split opinions, but it's been serving its intended purpose well in terms of drawing attention (e.g. at VAG Tuner Expo yesterday).
Shame we didn't get to catch up at ADI, but hopefully there'll be other opportunities.

Fog Grills:
Have yours just been sprayed gloss black or are they black edition ones?
Mine has black edition ones fitted
a1783897d1e400a242abb6c6e53ff3ce.jpg

Front Grill: I want a grill the same as yours (has yours been resprayed or did you buy it like that?)
Mine was bought like that - gloss black surround and standard matt plastic inners:
083940714a9ccda60b555fb782b42805.jpg

Rear valance / diffuser: I would really like a diffuser from Driving Passion but can’t really justify the £500 for gloss black.
Thank you, and that's fair enough. All I would say is that the price you've quoted there is the full retail price though (before any promotional discounts, etc.).

I’m still not entirely sure about the wheels, not going to get them refurbished until early next year so got some time to think, at the moment I’m thinking I quite like gun mental grey (but this would introduce another colour), or maybe just a factory silver (could do gloss black for inside of the wheel as something different but would still fit the theme – although would be silver on silver). I am not sure about gloss black either tbh – definitely works well with red I agree.
Yeah, the gun metal finish on my wheels was then interlaced elsewhere (Audi rings and door mirrors), after it introduced the additional colour.
Perhaps a shadow chrome finish to your wheels may be a good balance, but sounds like it will be the finishing touch next year, after you've had time to experiment and think about it all somewhat!

Sent from mobile with fat fingers

Reactions: xpoweruk
Car looks great! Did you remove bumper to spray the diffuser? Trying to find out if the chrome strip is removable for wrapping?
I had your grille off ebay, finally refurbed and fully black

Can confirm the chrome strip is removable on the S4 diffuser - @AU11 ALS has his wrapped in Carbon Fibre effect, I believe
Spot on, nice one for the heads up!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TechNick
@Noo3thou as @TechNick said the chrome strip is removable.

Mine was painted on the car but I have a new rear valance / diffuser (got it for Christmas as a present) which I will get professionally sprayed in gloss black but will leave the chrome trim as it is.

Have done a few more bits to the car since I last posted, so will get some photos and details up in the next day or two.

@Noo3thou as @TechNick said the chrome strip is removable.

Mine was painted on the car but I have a new rear valance / diffuser (got it for Christmas as a present) which I will get professionally sprayed in gloss black but will leave the chrome trim as it is.

Have done a few more bits to the car since I last posted, so will get some photos and details up in the next day or two.
Thanks for the info, Do you think it would be removable without taking the whole diffuser off?

Thanks for the info, Do you think it would be removable without taking the whole diffuser off?

if you take out the 3 screws along the back underneath you can reach in and take the strip of no problem its a line of torques screws 5 or 6 of them but cant remember the size

diffuser removal is in my thread if you wanted to try it its not to bad to do iv had mine of a few times to paint various colours, you need to be firm with it when pulling and some washing up liquid when refitting if clips back easy

Reactions: TechNick and Noo3thou
if you take out the 3 screws along the back underneath you can reach in and take the strip of no problem its a line of torques screws 5 or 6 of them but cant remember the size

diffuser removal is in my thread if you wanted to try it its not to bad to do iv had mine of a few times to paint various colours, you need to be firm with it when pulling and some washing up liquid when refitting if clips back easy
Nice one. I will have a search for your thread

Reactions: Chop.
diffuser removal is in my thread if you wanted to try it its not to bad to do iv had mine of a few times to paint various colours, you need to be firm with it when pulling

In case it helps, I've found that using plastic trim removal tools between the diffuser and the bumper helps get some leverage behind releasing the diffuser clips

As I posted up a few days ago, thought I would update everyone on progress with the car since ADI in October.

Since then I have completed the following changes:
*Fitted Audi S4 / S-Line Black Edition fog lamp trims / covers. I would have ideally like these in gloss black but as they are matt black plastic they do not chip up and unless you get close up you can't really see it is gloss black.
*Found a company who sell a gloss black plastic standard S4 grill, again this is perfect as it won't chip up like the painted S4 grill I had before. I know a lot of people might want to go for the RS4 grill but I think it's subtly different being all gloss black and fits in with the OEM+ look i'm going for.
*Got a new custom cat back exhaust fitted, tailpipes are slightly larger than standard but are a similar shape instead of the more oval looking super sprint system. Still a bit loud so will probably get a middle box fitted at some point.

Future plans:
*I've decided to keep the shadow chrome finish on the wheels and after I return from another road trip round Europe in the summer I will get these refurbished. It keeps in with the silver, black and red theme which runs through the car. I've really grown to like the look of them, silver is too much like the body colour, black or grey is too dark so this is perfect.
*I will get some Michelin tyres fitted before the Europe trip, possibly thinking of the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (the replacement for the pilot supersport which has only just been released).
*Braided rear lines and Dot 5.1 fluid at the same time as front and rear discs all round before the Europe trip. Has anyone got any advice for brake pads, currently running standard RS5 pads (according to the MRC receipts) but OEM options seem to be TRW, has anyone had any experience of these? They are around £200 less than DS2500's which I've run in many cars and loved, just wondering if its worth the extra.
*Have got a brand new rear valance which I will get professionally sprayed in gloss black.
*Possibly a light tint on the rear lights.

Gave the car a detail last weekend and found a new location for photos, some of which are below.
As always any comments, opinions are welcome.

Reactions: Chop., gary_a4_quattro, TechNick and 1 other person
Cracking work mate

Can I ask where you got the matt fog light surrounds was it Audi ? Do you still have the part number ? My painted black chrome ones are needing a tidy up but a pair of black ones would be perfect
Cheers

Thats a very nice car mate.

Cracking work mate

Thanks a lot, getting there with where I want it now. Hopefully in 6 months time I will have everything done.

Can I ask where you got the matt fog light surrounds was it Audi ? Do you still have the part number ? My painted black chrome ones are needing a tidy up but a pair of black ones would be perfect
Cheers

No I got them from TPS as I know someone who works there. Found the reg number of a S4 black edition and gave them that. Think they were about £80-£90 for both. Just remember to take the plastic cover off the back of the passenger side one so air flows to the charge cooler.

Thats a very nice car mate.

Thanks a lot getting there now with the subtle mods I want to do. Hopefully get everything done in the next 6 months.

Will also apply for an article in fast car and audi tuner when it's done to see if I can get a magazine feature

OEM+ look for the win. Car looks great!!
I know what you mean about stone chips on the painted grille, the chrome seems to be the worst area for it! Vinyl wrap could help. What company did you get the all black grille from, I could only find Audi OEM or ecs

OEM+ look for the win. Car looks great!!
I know what you mean about stone chips on the painted grille, the chrome seems to be the worst area for it! Vinyl wrap could help. What company did you get the all black grille from, I could only find Audi OEM or ecs

Cheers for your comments, yeah that's just what I'm going for so glad people think that's the look I'm achieving.

I've wrapped chrome grills before and they have stone chipped like paint does, maybe a little less though. Best thing is plastic that colour e.g. Gloss or Matt black, chrome etc

I've tried to find the company and the eBay item but can't find anything, think the company was something like xenonz uk. One grill I've found which looks quite close to mine (apart from mine has chrome rings and no parking sensors) for which the link is below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112295224518