Jacking Point - Trolley Jack

I'mRonBurgundy?

Lets make that kitten purr...
Reaction score
Need to get the wheels off and have bought a trolley jack and axel stands from halfords (good value at £40 all in).

Should I stick to the jacking points recommend in the owners manual?

I just use the standard jacking points, doesn't matter what your using to get it in the air, it still applies the same force to that spot, no problems for me, but I do always have an axle stand in there for safety..

Jonny :)

I often use the subframe to be safe on cars after bending the floor of an alf romero - they were pretend chassis legs :ohmy:

There are jack points for trolley jacks/lifts on the A3/S3. These arent the same as shown in the hand book for the scissor jack thats supplied with the car.

At the rear just before the wheel arch you'll find a circular rubber block that fits into the metal cup on a trolley jack or lift.

At the front its simular, you'll see a rubber block protruding from a small plastic panel, this panel also swivels around from what I can remember. Its about 4 to 6 inches in from side skirt and just before the wheel arch.

When you look it's kind of obvious, its just a quite hard to explain in words :)

any images of these places on underside as when I use my Alum trolley jack on the sides where the ****** audi jack goes it has bent the lip underneath slightly, nothing major as cant be seen anyway & still lifts the car ok with no further damage, but handy to know soon when doing suspension.

I jack my car up a lot to take wheels off and clean under the arches properly and allways use the standard issue Audi jack, never had any issues with it, BUT, i never feel 100% confident with it, tho it has never given me any grief. I have a trolly jack but havent used it on the audi yet mainly due to me not knowing where to jack it up on so some pics would be much appreciated. If i can see the jackin points I will deffo be using my trolly jack in future.

Dont use a trolley jack on the sill jacking points. Audi took my car to get a wheel refurbed a week after I got it and the idiot did exactly that and dented the sill in, it was only when I went to a local tyre place to put a new wheel on(the idiot refurbed it in the wrong colour so we had to buy a new wheel)the guy pulled me out to show me the damage before he jacked it from the subframe. The tyre fitter had a MK5 GTI and said the sills on them and the Audi are very soft and never jack from there.

any images of these places on underside as when I use my Alum trolley jack on the sides where the ****** audi jack goes it has bent the lip underneath slightly, nothing major as cant be seen anyway & still lifts the car ok with no further damage, but handy to know soon when doing suspension.

Have a look in this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=46734&highlight=exhaust

Theres a pic of an S3 from the rear on a lift. These are the points to use for a trolley jack/lift. Not really easy to see but its fairly obvious once youve worked it out :).

artevo.jpg

Need to get the wheels off and have bought a trolley jack and axel stands from halfords (good value at £40 all in).

Should I stick to the jacking points recommend in the owners manual?
I have used a trolley jack on the standard jacking points many times on my last three Audi cars and never had the slightest damage to the car.
The important thing is to purchase a good quality jack with a convex rubber pad fitted to the saddle this prevents any serious damage the the underbody coating.
Once had the standard scissor jack break and collapse on me, just prior to taking out the last wheel bolt, not to be trusted.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Thought I'd get murdered on this one tbh.

Got some silver smoothrite so will be painting my calipers and (although mine haven't rusted yet) disk bells soon. Spacers will be going on too.

Cheers again.
Ron