1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Jack point & axle stand position?

JohnStan725 Nov 11, 2015

1. JohnStan725

JohnStan725 Registered User

Hi guys

I'm doing a full suspension change at the weekend just wanted some advise on where the best place/recommended place for jacking the car up is? Also once it's jacked where the proper position for the axle stands are?

I have been told the to Jack it up from the lip and use the axle stands on the metal frame going underneath wanted to double check with someone who knows abit more about this.

Thanks

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Tom93

Tom93 Registered User

Yep thats how i do it. Just be careful if your changing wishbones that you dont put the stand in the way of the rear wishbone bolt.

4. JohnStan725

Thankyou Tom! Ahh okay is it something visible whilst placing the Jack underneath?

5. Stuart B

Stuart B Registered User

I have damaged both my cars in 2 weeks by jacking in the wrong place :(

6. JohnStan725

**** Stuart, that's not good where was you jacking it up from to damage the car? Just so I avoid doing it? Also Tom can you confirm I place the axle stands in the subframe underneath?

7. IPG

IPG Registered User

pics of where to/where NOT to would be ace!!!

mine will be living on stands for the next month i think

JohnStan725 likes this.
  8. JohnStan725

Ian I agree, I will upload a picture or two tonight on where I believe you are ment to Jack it up and place the stands. Did it last weekend no issues just wanted to make sure I'm doing it properly.

IPG likes this.
  9. Stuart B

Stuart B Registered User

Mine is from a trolley jack on a punto slightly closer to the wheel on the sill and the S3 slipped off the jack point when I turned the steering when the car was just jacked up 70%. its so annoying, usually put some wood along there, I prefer the tyre place with the inflatable jacks which spreads the weight better.

10. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

I use a low profile jack and jack off the chassis rails further inboard. Wouldn't ever jack off the sills personally.

If using axle stands, I jack off the subframe and put the axle stands on the chassis rails to allow uninterrupted access to the Subframe.

scotty_24 likes this.
  11. scotty_24

scotty_24 Registered User

I do this prawn too, or off the big bolt at the rear of the subframe
    My sills have collapsed and folded in over due to jacking up on them
    They are made of cheese
    Just gotta watch you don't scrape the under seal off

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. IPG

IPG Registered User

Prawn what do you mean by the chassis rails that are in board? I'm doing axle stands both front and back ad would like to be able to drop sb frame :)

14. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

take a look under the car. about 300mm in in line with the front edge of the doors, you'll find a box channel roughly 50x50mm.

IPG likes this.
  15. IPG

IPG Registered User

I'm going to roll with this area for the back?

16. IPG

IPG Registered User

In the end I went with these spots

Front
    image.jpg

Back
    image.jpg