I've had an S3 for the day.

Dtwm1

Reaction score
My RS3 has been back to the dealers with noisy rear suspension and as the title suggests I've been given an S3 saloon with pretty much every option except pan roof and led lights. On the configurator it comes out to be around £41,500 rrp.

The RS3 takes a right bashing by current S3 owners so I thought I was in for a treat… Wrong! Its looks lovely but thats mainly because of the stupidly high spec on it. The service advisor drove it to the front of the dealership and I jumped in and turned it on, pretty much silence. I flicked it in to dynamic still nothing just idled higher, cheeky rev and still nothing except the metallic rustle that plagues the s3 and golf R. I set off home (Bolton to near Lytham, nr. Blackpool) and I was totally underwhelmed, as you floor it there is no theatre or drama just the sounds of a normal engine being strained. I'll admit the car felt quick, slightly lighter and slightly better in the corners but I'm not a racing driver and no intentions of ever visiting a track.

The car is perfect for someone wanting a 'sleeper' or the slightly more mature person that doesn't want to get bothered by boy racers but then again an RS3 in black or daytona and de-badged would probably be just as inconspicuous on a daily basis. I'm off back to the dealers this morning feeling really disappointed about the S3, it was the car I originally wanted after my a3 tdi and was still a possibility in the future if I ever had to cut back. However, on the flip side I can't wait to have my RS back. Having the s3 had confirmed it was worth the extra time, effort and money to get one and urge all S3 owners to take one for a spin before slating them as most seem to do.

P.s I popped to show my mum what I could of had and she loved it, when I asked why it was because it was didn't pop or bang, wasn't loud on a cold start and was a lot more sociable. Everything you don't want in a car at 23 like myself...

Reactions: RGBARGEE, RYes3, Marshy and 6 others
I tested one, and thought the same. Nice car but just not in the same league as the RS.

Looked pretty much like my sisters S Line A3 too.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
If I was 23 I would agree, something wrong with middle aged men getting excited about pops/bangs/gear change farts IMO.
One can only be a 5dr auto whereas the other can be a 3dr manual.

The only reason the RS3 takes a bashing is jealousy. The A3/S3 forum on here has the following trends;
- Everyone with a 150bhp TDI thinks the 184TDi is a waste of money and they can't tell the difference in power;
- Everyone with a 1.2 thinks the 1.4 is a waste of money and they can't tell the difference in power;
- Everyone with an S3.......

I have an S3 at the moment, my RS3 is coming on Friday. Ever since I test drove the RS my S has felt so dull to the point that it bores me. The RS is in a differant league all together!

At the end of the day if you can afford an RS, get one and ignore the negativity from the people who only slag it off because they can't.

In terms of 'grin factor' the RS is right up there even my BMW S1000r didn't make me smile as much as the RS3 despite the huge difference in performance!

Last edited:
Reactions: jimojameso, Marshy, ComputerControlled and 4 others
3dr manual who on earth would want one and don't give me the manual is for a proper driver tosh lol

Reactions: RYes3 and Radman
3dr manual who on earth would want one and don't give me the manual is for a proper driver tosh lol
My S3 is manual, unfortunately one day I raced a DSG Golf R from the lights and every time I changed gear I dropped back half a car length:(

Reactions: Radman, D19NL B and Spaceman_RS3
Jesh since when does affordability or drivers car come into it? I like others on here can afford pretty much any mainstream car I want but if it doesn't meett my criteria I won't buy it e.g. manual which by default discounts RS/AMG. I think when it turns into a look at me I have a more expensive car than you then it starts to turn a bit silly, not everybody judges people by the car they drive.........as maybe they have many for different purposes ;)
People on this forum are very sensitive.

Reactions: Scottyg
Jesh since when does affordability or drivers car come into it? I like others on here can afford pretty much any mainstream car I want but if it doesn't meett my criteria I won't buy it e.g. manual which by default discounts RS/AMG. I think when it turns into a look at me I have a more expensive car than you then it starts to turn a bit silly, not everybody judges people by the car they drive.........as maybe they have many for different purposes ;)
People on this forum are very sensitive.
I think it's the other way round.
People with the lower spec cars always want to point out that the higher spec cars are not very good and the people who buy them are wasting their money. I have never seen a thread on here where somone with a high spec car slags the lower models off with so much passion. S3 owners bashing the RS3 on the other hand.......

Reactions: RYes3, jimojameso, Spaceman_RS3 and 1 other person
I concur, there are morons everywhere.

My RS3 has been back to the dealers with noisy rear suspension and as the title suggests I've been given an S3 saloon with pretty much every option except pan roof and led lights. On the configurator it comes out to be around £41,500 rrp.

The RS3 takes a right bashing by current S3 owners so I thought I was in for a treat… Wrong! Its looks lovely but thats mainly because of the stupidly high spec on it. The service advisor drove it to the front of the dealership and I jumped in and turned it on, pretty much silence. I flicked it in to dynamic still nothing just idled higher, cheeky rev and still nothing except the metallic rustle that plagues the s3 and golf R. I set off home (Bolton to near Lytham, nr. Blackpool) and I was totally underwhelmed, as you floor it there is no theatre or drama just the sounds of a normal engine being strained. I'll admit the car felt quick, slightly lighter and slightly better in the corners but I'm not a racing driver and no intentions of ever visiting a track.

The car is perfect for someone wanting a 'sleeper' or the slightly more mature person that doesn't want to get bothered by boy racers but then again an RS3 in black or daytona and de-badged would probably be just as inconspicuous on a daily basis. I'm off back to the dealers this morning feeling really disappointed about the S3, it was the car I originally wanted after my a3 tdi and was still a possibility in the future if I ever had to cut back. However, on the flip side I can't wait to have my RS back. Having the s3 had confirmed it was worth the extra time, effort and money to get one and urge all S3 owners to take one for a spin before slating them as most seem to do.

P.s I popped to show my mum what I could of had and she loved it, when I asked why it was because it was didn't pop or bang, wasn't loud on a cold start and was a lot more sociable. Everything you don't want in a car at 23 like myself...

Don't post that in the A3/S3 section lol :)

They will tar & feather you ha ha :)

How dare you suggest the RS3 is better !!!!

seriously though .... the sound of the RS3 really does add another dimension to driving enjoyment doesn't it and that is where a 4 pot will never compare ... the 5 cylinder engine & regular or sports exhaust are just great :sunglasses:

Reactions: jimojameso
They are both very nice cars.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Spaceman_RS3
i have one...;-(.. but it's panther black so that counts for something surely.. haha.

In all honesty i really want an RS3 but am considering paying off my mortgage first...so in about 5-10 years (hopefully sooner) I will be close to middle age and then i will have an RS3 and quite possibly a boxster/911 convertible too....haha :)

Reactions: jimojameso and Spaceman_RS3
Lucky it's Panther and the baby's stopped crying and so have I Andy lol

Paying mortgage off good shout and best way forward.

Reactions: AndyB-S3
I've been on many forums and it's standard to be a little 'jealous' of what others have.
If I could afford them, I'd have an S3 or a RS3. I can't so I just look longingly at everyone's on here.
The worst forum I was on for car snobbery was Scirocco Central! Unbelievable bad at welcoming new members unless you had the R or GT TSI. Fortunately I had the latter but it was a very unfriendly place.
This forum isn't and I hope it stays that way.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Bristle Hound
I loved my S3s.Still think its a great little chuckable car that goes like stink.It was more the styling for me that let it down a bit as it was too safe.Now feel a bit of a boy racer in the Nardo RS3 but can live with that as I do like cars to stand out a bit.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
The worst forum I was on for car snobbery was Scirocco Central! Unbelievable bad at welcoming new members unless you had the R or GT TSI.
This forum isn't and I hope it stays that way.

Mention anything without an Audi badge in glowing terms on these forums and you can stir the pot a little. It doesn't take much.
Cars are subjective anyway, I've tried tons of'em.

Going back to the OP, of course you wont like the S3, you've got the car sitting above it in the range (With a price increase to match)
I personally have found the S3 not to my liking but then the same can be said for the RS3 (Faster, nosier and packaged with the same issues as the S3). Jealous, no, just don't like them (And yes I can easily afford it)

I loved my S3s.Still think its a great little chuckable car that goes like stink.It was more the styling for me that let it down a bit as it was too safe.Now feel a bit of a boy racer in the Nardo RS3 but can live with that as I do like cars to stand out a bit.

Well said Hood!
Others on here seem to be tarring all S3 owners with the same brush!
Not all S3 owners are anti RS3!!!
I like my S3, its the perfect all rounder....however I LOVE the RS3. I did order one but in a moment of common sense I realised that as much as I love the RS3, I dont love it enough to pay £16k to change into one!

I'm amazed you got a S3! When mine was in for the mounts they gave me a low Spec diesel A3! ****
clear.png
:rage:

TX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and Snake Pliskin
If I was 23 I would agree, something wrong with middle aged men getting excited about pops/bangs/gear change farts IMO.
One can only be a 5dr auto whereas the other can be a 3dr manual.
Brilliant :tearsofjoy: What should these "middle age men" be driving then?

TX.

Reactions: Scottyg
I'm probably, at 44 coming into my 'middle' age. I'd happily come into my street in dynamic mode with pops and bangs galore! You're never too old to have fun.

Reactions: Ozmosis, Snake Pliskin and Terminator x
It all comes down to what you personally want to drive and what you can afford. We all have different opinions and needs. I like my S3 but I don't love it and I am not blind to the issues it does have. At the same time it only costs me a small amount each month on a PCP and it has some really good points. It is not a bad car at all and I bet there are many who would take your right arm off to own one.

Today I had a good hours worth in a facelift A45 AMG which was quite highly spec'd. I took it on roads I have driven many times and where I have also driven the MKii RS3 and my S3. In terms of handling and cornering abilities it absolutely stamps all over both the S3 and RS3 and with 381bhp it is seriously quick. A great driving car in every respect. It does the whole pop bang bang routine on downshifts and sounds great going up the gears as well. Not your usual tiny 4 Pot soundtrack either, it had a real guttural tone, which of course is faked to some degree.

So why didn't I buy it?
Well to me it wasn't worth the extra £10k against the S3. It was a great driving car, but it was going to cost me twice the monthlies for that 80bhp and a cabin that felt cheap and tacky. Plus the suspension was rock hard even in comfort and would drive me mad as I tend to tootle about 90% of the time and while on the test drive I was giving it some beans, I wouldn't be driving it like that all the time. It personally didn't suit me, but I bet the next guy to test drive it will buy it as it is a fantastic drivers car and it will suit his needs.

And again, personally, I could justify the extra £10k for the RS3 as it fits with what I want from the car and when 90% of the time I tootle about, it sounds great without any artificial tinkering of the 5 Pot and I sit in luxury leather and nice surroundings with great tech on a screen that doesn't look like it was made by fisher price. But again that's just my opinion.

So to wrap up, ignore everything I have just said as it applies to me only and mind your own business :)
Seriously though, we all have needs and there are cars out there that will fit some better than others and will justify the costs to that person for those reasons. I don't believe there are any such things as bad premium cars these days, just different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: veeeight, Pulp84, AndyB-S3 and 3 others
So to wrap up, ignore everything I have just said as it applies to me only and mind your own business :) Seriously though, we all have needs and there are cars out there that will fit some better than others and will justify the costs to that person for those reasons. I don't believe there are any such things as bad premium cars these days, just different strokes for different folks.

LOVE IT! :hi: TOO perfect for words...

Me and mine spent the best part of 300-miles yesterday chasing a TTRS ragtop (without fixed rear wing) that we/I need to accompany our RS3 and at the end of the day came away believing our current 2.0 TT ragtop (without fixed rear wing) Sport does nearly (???) everything the TTRS does albeit a tad slower; other than that it's as near as damn it exactly the same car... :readit:

We really can get doolally over cars - and that's both guys AND girls 'cos if any of you girls are anything like my RS3copilot then you guys have one hell of a girl; enjoy... :yahoo:

Yesterday driving to London I had a grey S3 driver come up behind me and we had a little play. The RS3 is way quicker its not even a contest. What I couldn't understand after that with this driver was that he was adamant not to be out done by the RS3 and proceeded to weave in and out of traffic to get way ahead when I'm sitting at 80mph. Then when we get to a 50mph zone and I'm doing 1mph faster to slowly overtake he floors it off. Made me laugh a lot and I think a hint of jealously there or just a dickhead Audi driver!

Anyway it didn't sound too bad when he floored it but its now rs3 at all

Got mine back now and couldn't be happier! Yes the RS is expensive but I'm sick of s3 owners saying it's not worth the premium or you've wasted £10k, should of bought a s3 + dtuk box + miltek. In all honestly I couldn't really tell the difference between the sound of a 1.8tfsi and the 2.0 except the hiccup on upshift.

Like someone has said previously it's nearly always those with lesser value/performance etc cars trying to justify their own purchase or just generally knock the better/more expensive car and not normally the other way round.

I'm probably, at 44 coming into my 'middle' age. I'd happily come into my street in dynamic mode with pops and bangs galore! You're never too old to have fun.
Too right mate, i am slightly older than you and thats why i bought a B7 RS4.

Today I had a good hours worth in a facelift A45 AMG which was quite highly spec'd. I took it on roads I have driven many times and where I have also driven the MKii RS3 and my S3. In terms of handling and cornering abilities it absolutely stamps all over both the S3 and RS3 and with 381bhp it is seriously quick. A great driving car in every respect. It does the whole pop bang bang routine on downshifts and sounds great going up the gears as well. Not your usual tiny 4 Pot soundtrack either, it had a real guttural tone, which of course is faked to some degree.

I take my hat off to you for saying this out loud on a RS3 forum. As you know, I am a big fan of the handling of the A45.

Did you notice anything about the turbo lag on the A45, especially taking off from standstill or very low speeds? I'm sure that with a larger turbo, it felt like it had a little more lag that a S3, wondered if you noticed?

I found it about the same in terms of lag to be honest, no real negatives there from me on either the S/RS3 and the A45.

Reactions: veeeight
Don't you all know the prettiest , fastest, least depreciating car Audi made is the 8v S3 prefacelift !

I would love an Rs3 , but cannot justify the cost at the moment , maybe a couple of years down the line I will pick one up . Great to hear a comparison from someone who has driven both ?

I take my hat off to you for saying this out loud on a RS3 forum. As you know, I am a big fan of the handling of the A45.

Did you notice anything about the turbo lag on the A45, especially taking off from standstill or very low speeds? I'm sure that with a larger turbo, it felt like it had a little more lag that a S3, wondered if you noticed?
My friend has a CLA-45 (360bhp) and it seems to have no lag at all and it spools up at very low RPM.

Reactions: veeeight
I had to take the jcw exhaust off my mini and replace with a milltek resonated , I am too old too pull up at the school gates popping and banging, Think a nice Audi is understated enough for an old fart like me !

I had been looking at a jcw instead of the S3 for my commute through town..what did you think of it?

Loved it , had an R53 , then the R56 , would buy another for sure , good economy for a commute . Only sold it as we went to 1 car , the mini was my toy and could not really justify it , wasn't big enough to keep for a family car , S3 is best of both worlds !

20+k was in my budget not 50k nothing more than that really, the B7 RS4 tics all boxes for me.

Yes the RS is expensive but I'm sick of s3 owners saying it's not worth the premium or you've wasted £10k
You don't really waste £10k either. It might cost £10k more than an S3, but in a few years time it'll sell for ~£7k more than the S3.