ive bought a dodgy one...

finny_quattro

Reaction score
...looks like the a3 tqs ive bought has has a 150 engine put in at one point as the engine number has been grinded off just showing agu? i has it remapped yesterday and before it went on the dyno the lad sid the codes were pretty identical tothat of a 150...so hes mapped it to 206 with a pipercross panel filter on but im still not sure what the hell my engine is??? all i know is its not got the cable throttle but ive been told you can change this...it has agu on the engine and itl only put out 206.5 bhp...which the 180 would do a little more so...after all of this the maphad worked but he claimed theres something not letting it boost properly he rekons either 249 sensor??? as its loud when it spools he claims or something in the exhaust....therefore i seem to have gained a good bit of torque but not any realbhp gains im sick and need to get to the bottom of this...any suggestions?

Any idea what engine was supposed to be in it? Look on the V5, it should say.

I guess it depends whats happened really.

The AGU is an early 1.8t variant, which had the K03-011 turbo. This turbo is only capable of about ~190 bhp.

It depends though if your engine was an AUM with the K03S in the first place.

You need to find out more about what the car had in it to start with and then we can go from there....

Wow, ground-off engine numbers screams of a dodgy car mate as the only reason for someone to go to the effort of removing them is if the engine is from a stolen car. Really don't know of any valid reason to do this - obviously would love to be corrected.

...looks like the a3 tqs ive bought has has a 150 engine put in at one point as the engine number has been grinded off just showing agu?

it has been ground off and just showing agu? that makes no sence. the engine code is on the top. there is no serial number as such (at least as far as i was aware) on the engine.

possibly just the head was changed over at some point, not sure if that is a problem as i thought they were pretty much the same. Where did you take it for remap?

it has been ground off and just showing agu? that makes no sence. the engine code is on the top. there is no serial number as such (at least as far as i was aware) on the engine.

possibly just the head was changed over at some point, not sure if that is a problem as i thought they were pretty much the same. Where did you take it for remap?

There is an engine number stamped on to the block - possibly the engine was changed - and then the new engine number was removed so that the V5 wouldn't be incorrect per say....

Odd I agree, I just sent off to have my new engine number put on the V5.

Hmmm, ground off engine numbers rings the ringer bell in my head, i hope it isnt fella, did you hpi it before you bought it?

Has the number actualy been ground off?
Or just not there where it should be?
When i had my new engine built i used a brand new block from audi and it has no numbers on.
So no engine ( block number) IF it hasnt been ground off isnt always as bad as it first looks

it has a little lobe which sticks out from the front top left of the block just under the rocker cover thats whats been ground off but you can just about see agu as they havent done the best of jobs!
defo a quattro and it was done at pd tuning in boldon...he said hes going to get onto bosch about my ecu codes to check with them if it left the factory with that ecu in the car! its just wierd...im ****** off badly about it!
i supidly didnt get hpi on it only car i havent and look what i get
il just have to see but i had a boost leak coming from a pipe off the boost control which goes directly into the inlet so changed that but the parts lad at audi check a number off my rocker cover and it came up agu engine??

any other numbers i can go off to check if its just had a new head etc and everything else is the same? although how could a 180bhp car only put out between 130-140?

The should be a sticker in the boot under the carpet, or in the first page of the service schedule if you have it, which will provide the initial car spec. It will have engine code, power in KW, plus other codes for the options fitted.

I think there were 150 quattros available in europe so it could be an import, not sure what engine they used though.

The presence of an AGU head, block, etc won't really matter as it is the turbo (as per Welly's post) and the map that are important. If your car is not DBW then chances are it is a later version and may well have come with the K03s, whether this is the case (and in fact whether it is still fitted) is what you need to confirm.

is (WAS) defo a 1.8 turbo quattro 180 bhp ajq 132kw engine and still obviously is shell but the engine will not perform those figures and has agu on it which from 1 or 2 numbers wrote on has been brought up by audi newcastle as infact been an agu 150 bhp version! so clearly someone has changed it! just paid for hpi everything is sound on there but comes up as engine number been ajq04.....where can i check mine from? is it just on the side of the head?

Shouldnt you be asking the person you bought it off these sort of questions?

it has a little lobe which sticks out from the front top left of the block just under the rocker cover thats whats been ground off but you can just about see agu as they havent done the best of jobs!
defo a quattro and it was done at pd tuning in boldon...he said hes going to get onto bosch about my ecu codes to check with them if it left the factory with that ecu in the car! its just wierd...im ****** off badly about it!
i supidly didnt get hpi on it only car i havent and look what i get
il just have to see but i had a boost leak coming from a pipe off the boost control which goes directly into the inlet so changed that but the parts lad at audi check a number off my rocker cover and it came up agu engine??

any other numbers i can go off to check if its just had a new head etc and everything else is the same? although how could a 180bhp car only put out between 130-140?

So the head marking has been removed, Not the engine numeber. Its common on new replacement heads for it to have no designation except for it either being large port or small port.