It's Saturday! Relax! And my Saturday morning question is......

StateOfPlay

Reaction score
Hi guys, happy Saturday! I know some of you may be working, but I don't have to this weekend which is nice!

Anyway, I have just got a new job which will involve a lot of driving, all expenses paid, so initially 40p a mile, and then once hit 10000 it will be 25p a mile.

But I am a bit worried about the A4 Cab, in that it is just 4 years old and has 37000 miles on the clock. I am worried that all this mileage is going to ruin her value, looks, and cost a lot in tyres etc.

She isn't the cheapest car I have ever run, being a 1.8 Turbo, Petrol, Automatic, but she is a dream to ride. And to be honest, the value of the car has plummeted in the last year or two.

So, I don't know whether to change her in for a sensible, cheap car to run? Or maybe spend a grand on a run around?

What do you think?

keep it mate!
drive it for a while and see how it works out!
better the devil you know and all that!
it might be not that bad on juice and mile wise, and if you were to get rid and buy a shed you dont really want, you would only be kicking yourself!
you only live once! :icon_thumright:

I am getting 28 mpg. Not too bad I suppose.

Yeah, in the summer it will be great with the lid down.

Well done Chez, thats your good deed for the weekend. I have to agree with you though, def need to keep the car, you can always think about it again in a few weeks. :)

OK, I will keep the car, it will eat up those miles. Just need a good deal on tyres and wondering whether Costco are the best?

I would just fork out for a 8/9 year old astra just to use purely for work. You can get one nice & cheap. That way you wont be running up mileage on your A4.

I would just fork out for a 8/9 year old astra just to use purely for work. You can get one nice & cheap. That way you wont be running up mileage on your A4.

There's a lot of sense in that. Given your milegae rates you can work out what it would cost you, and then you might even make money out of driving! Which you can reinvest into the Cab - it sounds too nice to use as a business hack.

Are you getting an opting out allowance, or do you have to provide your own vehicle ?
A cheap motor won't be so cheap once you add running costs, wear costs and insurance. I'd use the a4, enjoy it, keep the revs down and save the excess you make from the fuel allowance and Use that against the next motor. Simples ;)

Depending on your company terms and conditions you may be obliged to run a car less than perhaps 5 years old. Even though you're being paid for providing the wheels so to speak, they will still have an expectation of you turning up on time and (if your position requires it) a vehicle worthy of your job. Also, I think they still have a duty of care while you're in their employment, whether you're using your own car or not, so it may need to be less than a certain age / mileage.

Best check with them before lumping up in a £1k scratter.

Yeah, I will try to save some of the mileage money, easier said than done, but it does make complete sense.

keeping the revs down is the plan, as I am getting older I am less worried about rushing, and more into my comfort.

Treat it as money you don't have. Have a seperate account and mark it for vehicle maintenance and Renewal only. Otherwise your just going rinse the cash on nothingnes, pile on the miles and loose out in the long run when you come to sell dude. However time are hard and I could totally understand if the extra cash could come in handy.

I think I will stick with my motor and try and use the train as much as possible. I have two visits to East London next week so I will let the train take the strain.

I have the same deal at my place, but they also give me an allowance to buy a car. I use my A4 all the time, no better way to get to where you are going, that's why I bought it.
The allowance they give me goes straight into a seperate account and helps pay for tyres and servicing etc.
Not sure about tyres from Costco, to me it wold be like buying Audi spares from Halfords !
I have a friend who runs Tyreweb in Ashford, so get all mine from there, as I am down in Kent quite often.

Costco sell Michelin tyres, with nitrogen filling as standard, in their own fitting centres. Occasionally they have special offers where they fit 4 tyres and give you 25% off. The service is excellent and they're very good with alloy wheels, but as for cost my local place usually beats them hands down for Michelin.