Its Gone

RAPS3

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Well chaps the S3's gone. Just sold it this evening.

Both Glad and Sorry to see it go at the same time. Time to move on. I've had some good times in that car, but it had started to gather dust in the garage due to me using my van to commute the massive 7 miles to work and therfore had to go.

As I've said on another post somewhere the intention is to sell the wifes Golf Gti also and buy one car to replace them. I'm still 90% set on buying a Leon Cupra R, but there is the odd car that catches my eye every now and again, so it isnt final.

Some may see moving from the S3 to the Leon as a step down, and to be honest it probably is in some respects, build quality etc. However the good thing about the LCR is, it'll more than likely be in warrenty, and roadside assist, it'll be newer and have relatively low mileage. All though I must admit that one of the biggest attractions is that it'll be practicle for the missus to use daily, especially when the young'n pops out. But it'll still get my juices flowing on a weekend when I get out of the Diesel Astravan.

I'll still be sticking around here though as I'll always be an Audi enthusiast, plus the banters not that bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hope your S3 went to a good home mate, I'm sure you will miss it... but the arrival of the little one will make up for it all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Paul,

Congratulations / condolences on selling the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The Leon is a cracking car so I am sure you'l be happy.

Cheers
Rich.

Ahh...
Expect some 5 minute internet expert / muppet to start calling for you to be removed from the Moderator list now...as you've sold your Audi.

Also, you will find that according to the said same muppet, you no longer qualify as having an opinion, as you've sold your Audi.

I just don't know how you are ever going to sleep at night... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ahh...
Expect some 5 minute internet expert / muppet to start calling for you to be removed from the Moderator list now...as you've sold your Audi.

Also, you will find that according to the said same muppet, you no longer qualify as having an opinion, as you've sold your Audi.

I just don't know how you are ever going to sleep at night... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> Round 1 again, I'll sell the tickets and ref this one.... </font>

[ QUOTE ]
Well I for one am sad to see that the Wonder Bread Girl has gone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont worry Drill so am I. But I have to set an example now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The news may be sad, but just think, it's a fresh new project to start modifying all over again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

BUT as the missus is going to be using it quite a lot I think I'll have to get one of the switchable maps... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif yeah sad day mate, knew you were thinking about selling it, but didn't know it was gonna be that quick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

anyhow by the sounds of your situation it appears you thought about it methodically and practically!

good luck on the new purchase. I have also been just browsing the LCRs recently as they seem to be quite good per £££ - what colour would you be tempted for? I like them in black!

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

p.s. who bought it? anyone local as I might see her around.

Sounds like a good project, and needs must with a little one on the way.

Shame they never made a 5-door S3, maybe they will next time....

Good luck r88per. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Good luck hunting for your new car. In a few years time when your little one has grown up you'll need to remind your missus and child the sacrifice you made for them. Cant believe you sold so quick i would have nicked your wheels of you if i'd known, where did you say you sold it again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Re the colours Rob, I really like them in black, but it was a mission to get rid of ll the swirl marks on the dark blue, (it took me months of elbow grease)

How can I get rid of my swirl marks then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well I for one am sad to see that the Wonder Bread Girl has gone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded .... she was the reason I read Paul's posts
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

cool mate! be sure to put up some piccies! what options is it coming with?

so what's this with the laptop then? similar to getting it remapped but doing it yourself? or are you taking it to a tuners? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Congratulations r88per, get some pics posted when she arrives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Now I know!

I'll just pinch the brakes off your new one when you are asleep at night now for not telling me!

You could always call in at Star Performance on your way home from up north!!

Ha Ha -

Now that would be the opposite of what your "supposed" to be doing.

Thought about Star perorfmance, but I'd rather run it in first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

Paul I'm getting jealous - it's really exciting buying a new car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif by the way with regards to your last service on the S3, whom did you choose in the end and what are your views on the standard(s) etc? Mine will be due again in the not too distant future and I'd be more happy to try somewhere else that's recommended by a forum member - I just had to get it done last time as didn't really know of anyone else from the area...

Cheers.

Rob

Rob,

I ended up just taking it to the dealers, as I was selling I wanted to keep the Audi Service history. Plus as it was over 3 years old they discounted the labour rate. I dont know if they had done this before, I hadnt noticed. I got a quote for the service for £233, and then when I actually paid it was only £170, which I didnt think was too bad.
I got the MOT done a Service and a front ball joint and alignment done for £376.

If I was keeping it though I would definately have used Ron Turnbulls Boro, or AutoMark in Stokelsy. Ron is quite easy to book into, Mark is always very busy, (2-3 weeks in advance needed normally)

Just recieved a call fromthe SEAT Dealer, with the start of the conversation going, sorry Paul but we have got a problem. We cant get you the Leon you want.

Oh ****** I thought, however he went on to say that another dealer had sold the last Silver one just before I ordered, but the system hadnt updated.

I was thinking that I was going to be left with the choice of Yellow, Yellow or Yellow. Ferk that I was thinking I'm not keen on the yellow ones, plus the resale of them is abismall.

Anyway it turns out that he had remembered that I didnt want a yellow one, so had just ordered me a Red one, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

I prefer the Red over the Silver anyway, plus £325 back in my pocket to put towards the remap, or tints.

What a good way to end a crap day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway it turns out that he had remembered that I didnt want a yellow one, so had just ordered me a Red one, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They look good in red...nice one!

[ QUOTE ]

I prefer the Red over the Silver anyway,

[/ QUOTE ]

...a happy boy then?

[ QUOTE ]

plus £325 back in my pocket to put towards the remap,

[/ QUOTE ]

Good plan...

[ QUOTE ]

or tints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no...
Surely not?

Going for the pimp look? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Next you'll be getting the wheels chromed, adding spinners, neons, leapordskin interior touches...

You must remember the 'ice' on your ear rings...and plenty of 'bling' around the neckline, wrists and on the fingers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

They look awesome in red! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Oh no...
Surely not?

Going for the pimp look? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Next you'll be getting the wheels chromed, adding spinners, neons, leapordskin interior touches...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I was thinking more of a very, very light tint, nothing pimpish.
Just something to take away the glare from babby in the back. Cos there'll be no ugly Mothercare white sunblinds going in the windows /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Sacrifices, sacrifices /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sacrifices, sacrifices /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Next time you and your lass feel frisky dont forget the protection mate, remember what your mother always says, she cant be far from droping now is she, lets hope your child gets its mothers good looks eh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Its only around the corner now, we're both excited and counting down the days till it arrives......

Oh and the babies due in about 4 weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif from the missus, who's just read what I've posted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kiss.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

Ok this may take some reading but I thought I'd post it all up as a bit of a read, so grab yourself a comfortable chair and read on:-

Its all about the nightmare I've been having these last few days about me ordering my new LCR from Arnold Clark, I've just received another ****** phonecall.

After reading the post from a few people on Seatcupra.co.uk saying that they had ordered their LCR from Arnold Clarks in Glasgow, I promptly got on the blower and spoke to the dealer. After a bit of a chat on the Friday night the missus and I had a trip up to Glasgow on the Saturday (200 miles away), the deal was done and I had ordered a 1.7 miled pre-registered Lunar Grey LCR for the sum of £15995 + £325 for the metallic paint, so £16320 all in. A £400 deposit was made and off we trotted back home.

During the conversation at the dealers the salesman had mentioned that they had sold most of the LCR's they had pre-registered, with the one Lunar Grey and two Omni yellows left.

On the Monday at work I got a phone call of the salesman at the dealer with "Some good news and some bads news."
The bad news was that he could not get me the car we had ordered, the Lunar Grey one, as it had been sold and the "system" had'nt been updated, hence this was gone and they only had Omni Yellow ones left.
The good news was that he had spoken to the powers that be and explained the **** up and they had ordered another LCR for me in Red. This was the a colour we prefered over the Lunar Grey anyway, so this was a bonus, along with the £325 we were saving. We would have prefered to have had a Platinum, but hey we could live with Red.
He gave me the registration number and said that the car would be at the dealership in about 4 days, then PDI'd and valetted and ready for collection probably on Saturday.

Everything seemed fine and dandy, until today with another call from the Salesman at Arnold Clark.

Apparently a mistake had been made when pre-ordering the Red on for us, (something which I'm doubtful had even happened) anyway he said that the car had been delivered to the dealer this morning, however unfortunately it was blo#dy Omni Yellow. As you can probably imagine I'm not a happy bunny, as I DONT WANT A YELLOW ONE especially as he told me that he would'nt be able to source anymore LCR's for the same price.

So if you want any colour other than Omni Yellow from Arnold Clark in Glasgow, dont bother even picking up the phone.

So I'm still looking for a LCR, for around £16.5K prefered in Platinum grey but will consider others. If anyone can forward any details, or good or bad experiences it'd be appreciated, as now I have totally lost faith in buying one from a dealer.

I have put a call into Cupras4less see what they can do, but I'm not holding my breath.

I thought buying a new car was supposed to be easy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

Well, after a lot of problems and being ***** about by different dealers, I FINALLY got sorted and managed to buy myself a new Leon Cupra R.

I managed to source one through Simon at Cupras4less If anyone out there is thinking of buying a Leon, or other new car then I'd say give him a ring. Really nice guy to do business with.

Anyway back to the new one.

Just running it in gently at the moment, I've done about 700 miles in it now, so another 300 mile before the redline can be used. (This probably isnt even needed now but I just cant bring myself to thrash it until its done at least a 1000 miles)

First impressions in comparing it to the S3, obviously the S3 was quicker, being chipped. But the Leon wont be standard for long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

Handling, theres the obvious feel of the car being two wheel drive, and not being as stable through the bends, even at the relatively low rpm that I've been driving it. Once its opened up it'll be scabbling for grip. The rear end is quite twitchy and prone to a bit of lift off oversteer. Which is nice when you want it, but not when you dont. Overall though it feels quite nice on the road and there is definalty more feel and information coming back through the steering wheel than that of the S3. It just feels sportier! I didnt think I would be saying that but it does. I think it'll take some time to get used to driving it on the limit though as the S3 did inspire confidence. The "if all else fails keep your foot in" attitude when going around roundabouts is going to be a hard one to remove from my subconscious.

The interior is obviously a little sub standard coming from the S3, but isnt anything to be ashamed of. I'd say that it was of less quality than the Audi, but better than the missus Golf. The plastics feel a little cheaper than the S3's, and the seats arnt in the same league. They do the job though and look nice with the R badge and the red stitching. They'll look even nicer when theyre full of white baby sick stains and engrained Sausage roll pastry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

To sum it up:-
265 ish BHP (very shortly)
Five doors - lots of space for the Squeeker
Brand New - which is always nice, no one elses scratched paintwork
Ability to light the tyres up from the traffic lights - I dont care how old I am I still love doing this

As an overall package I'm VERY happy.

LCRHelmsly2230405.jpg

paul - you never mentioned the brakes which is one of the major advantages as far as i can see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
good luck with new car and new wean
sorry that you were messed about with arnold clark - as a scotsman i'm dissapointed in that but all's well that ends well.
all the best
PS - the mirrors still havent made it on! but i move july 8th so plan on getting them fitted soon as after /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice looking motor R88per, and now very family friendly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
you never mentioned the brakes which is one of the major advantages as far as i can see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That'd be because I had fitted exactly the same brakes to the S3. So they feel pretty much the same.

[ QUOTE ]
good luck with new car and new wean

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Would have prefered it in yellow!

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest Lee, the yellow Leons just dont do it for me. Plus they're crap on resale, (not that it was a reason for me as I'l be keeping it a while)

Oh and the Wife said that she didnt want a yellow one, becasue all the flies and Bumble Bees would be attracted to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif