It's dripping oil but we can't see where.

Chills

Reaction score
So my 2005 A3 8P 2.0TDI has got a oil leak, I bought the car for £600 knowing of a slight drip and I mean slight as a generous use of the word, it dripped maybe four droplets in a hour of running.
Since then its now getting abit more serious and I can't see where the oil is coming from, however it only leaks when its running. So before I take the front end to bits I would like to ask where are the common fault areas for oil leaks. I am reluctant to get rid of it and its due a MOT at the end of February. I'll try and get some photos after work tomorrow.

Get the front up on stands , lower covers off , degreaser / tfr etc and jet wash preferably with one that angles the nozzle up .

Once dry , investigate with an inspection light .

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Completely agree with the above. The easiest way is to clean up the existing mess and it should be easier to spot the source of the problem.

Agree with the above.

Where are the spots on the floor in relation to the engine? Front, back etc.

I used to get a drip coming out of my boost pipes as the turbo was on its way out. Front near side where the pipe came out of the inter cooler.

Get the front raised up and run the engine, you’ll see the leak quicker.
As mentioned earlier, best to clean the bottom of the engine first.

Agree with the above.

Where are the spots on the floor in relation to the engine? Front, back etc.

I used to get a drip coming out of my boost pipes as the turbo was on its way out. Front near side where the pipe came out of the inter cooler.

Its towards the front drivers side. I can see alot of oil around the oil filter housing. As a side note, this is my first car.
So any suggestions or ideas? As that would be much appreciated. :)

Seems like an obvious place to start.
Remove the oil filter housing and clean it up and then re-fit, making sure it isn't cross threaded and is seated correctly.

Reactions: abmat