it's about time to start my own s3 build thread

ok, so today i got gfb dv+ installed it in few minutes and went for a really short drive. it seems that the car is holding more boost to the redline. also that slight pause after gear change is gone. didn't notice change in response as it was really short drive.
few pics...

tomorrow i should also get engine cover in black and white theme, hopefully will be installed right away.

regards,
S.

Reactions: Kelza and pinterovski
Good work Sami!
What about the flutter when of the boost?

With the GT3071 I had,I was getting significant amounts of part throttle surge,and that's thankfully gone now with the ported shroud on the bigger turbo.

engine cover fitted :D
pq7q.jpg

it's from a friends mkv and that's why there's no audi rings.

Reactions: warren_S5
ok, so today i got gfb dv+ installed it in few minutes and went for a really short drive. it seems that the car is holding more boost to the redline. also that slight pause after gear change is gone. didn't notice change in response as it was really short drive.

regards,
S.

Did you do any logs on the GFB DV with before and after boost ??

Good work Sami!
What about the flutter when of the boost?

it's not that noticable. i think i get it sometimes on partial throttle (if that's the right word lol) arround 3-4k rpm when i release the pedal.
or maybe i'm going crazy :D

Hello
I’m trying to decide between S3 brakes or TTRS upgrade. I have some questions for you, if you would be so kind as to answer them.

1 What are the costs involved for ttrs? I know you can get the calipers for 300-400 pounds. I read somewhere the discs are 200 each!! Are they any cheaper aftermarket alternatives? How much are the brake pads?

2: What is needed? Caliper, brackets, hoses, discs and pads? Is that it? I have a 2004 TDI if that makes any difference.

3. In terms of caliper size (not piston) which one is bigger S3 or TTRS?

4. Side by side is the extra 25mm disc diameter worth the extra money? Performance a side.

5. Will the ttrs fit under OEM 18’’ Ronal rs6, I think they are ET 54 + 10MM Spacers?

Any help would be much appreciated, Cheers

Hello
I’m trying to decide between S3 brakes or TTRS upgrade. I have some questions for you, if you would be so kind as to answer them.

1 What are the costs involved for ttrs? I know you can get the calipers for 300-400 pounds. I read somewhere the discs are 200 each!! Are they any cheaper aftermarket alternatives? How much are the brake pads?

2: What is needed? Caliper, brackets, hoses, discs and pads? Is that it? I have a 2004 TDI if that makes any difference.

3. In terms of caliper size (not piston) which one is bigger S3 or TTRS?

4. Side by side is the extra 25mm disc diameter worth the extra money? Performance a side.

5. Will the ttrs fit under OEM 18’’ Ronal rs6, I think they are ET 54 + 10MM Spacers?

Any help would be much appreciated, Cheers

hi mate i'm really sorry i missed your post.

1. i got my complete ttrs brake set (calipers, pads, and discs, brackets) without hoses from german ebay for that price you mentioned. and by the wear on the pads and discs i would say it has covered less than 5000 km's. so you can get a decent kit for a good price.
i've used s3 brake lines, there's been a little bit of tweaking involved but it's working great.

2. yes you'll need all those, but calipers come with brackets, and i would suggest to get a whole kit together as ttrs discs alone are hard to find and new ones are really expensive. as i'm led to believe they should fit on any a3 that has 55mm shocks as the hubs should be the same as s3 so they would fit directly.

3. s3 calipers are bigger and heavier than ttrs calipers but they maybe look smaller due to mounting position and disc size.

4. i think ttrs brakes are far better than s3 brakes, the stopping power is so much better. s3 brakes would get tired after spiritual driving on stage 2+, even with better fluid and pads. while ttrs ones keep performing great. newer been to track since i've fitted them, but i had driven the car few times on B roads and on a quite long trip they were great. not once i felt they are giving up.
i could only imagine how they feel with performance discs and pads, braided lines and master cylinder upgrade (but no need for that right now, and no money :D)
i don't think that 25mm bigger disc adds much to the performance, but overall ttrs brakes are few kg's lighter than s3 brakes, and the 4 pistons perform better than single piston on s3 caliper (s3 actually has quite large piston and is pretty decent for standard s3 power).
the car is now proper fast in every way. i think that ttrs brakes suite the stage 2+ power perfectly.

5. there's a thread about wheel fitment with ttrs brakes take a look there. they fit under 18" wheels but it's a tight fit. i used 12mm spacers because i allready had them and i had 4-6 mm clearance, but fitment actually depends on spoke design, so i can't tell you for sure if they would fit under 18" ronal rs6 with 10mm spacers but i guess they should.

hope this helps :D

Awesome car mate! Very similar to mine :)

Reactions: S.
thanks a lot!
i'm not sure i've seen your thread :S

thanks a lot!
i'm not sure i've seen your thread :S
Will post something in the next few weeks just sorting out a few bits on the car and booked in for custom stage 2+ map :)

well done. why did you get rid of oz alleggerita wheels? they are pretty lightweight ones...
there's a set over here for sale right now...

well done. why did you get rid of oz alleggerita wheels? they are pretty lightweight ones...
there's a set over here for sale right now...
Haven't got rid of them yet! I just prefer the look of the standard S3 wheels :)

new wheels...
20150417 163604w
20150417 163539w

again...tight fit. no spacers.

Reactions: Yekta, Mario8P and S3Alex
better pic from the side...
20150421 133022w

i like how it looks, brakes look huge with ultras.
:beerchug:

another piece of puzzle came today...
20150902 112521w

Reactions: grchmason
couple of days ago i got hpa haldex controller fitted. got it 2nd hand, the seller didn't know if it's switchable unit or competition one, so contacted hpa and asked them if they could tell me by the part number which one should it be. they e-mailed me back within few minutes saying that the unit is competition one. that was a great experience with hpa service.
the fitting with right tools took about 10-15 minutes for my experienced mechanic.
didn't drive the car much after fitting, did a short test run after fitting to check it for leaks etc. everything was fine.
i didn't do any launches, just had a few blasts on a private road. initially, acceleration feels stronger, and the feeling is more like pushing, than pulling which was the case with oem controller. cornering feels more controlled, with tendency to understeer dialed out (at least on those runs), even felt rear end kicking out on a few corners.
as every day driving mod i don't think there would be a noticable difference between oem and hpa unit, but when pushing it around the twists i think it should improve the handling.
after that short drive i don't think that's an upgrade worth the price (of a new unit), as it seems that gen4 haldex does a pretty good job.
again, i did just few short runs, so this is my initial thought. just need to drive it more to get a proper thoughts on it.

i also had a go in my friend's mk7 stage 2 R, and that thing is really fast. it breaks traction even with michelin pss. really fast car, suspension seems up to job.also noticed that it has much more improved 4motion system compared to stock 8p system.

Reactions: S3Alex and grchmason
weather was nice, so had a bit of fun on a local road with nice scenery. took a few photos too..
Web 20151103 151548ps
Web 20151103 151604ps
Web 20151103 151943ps

Reactions: leshkin, S3Alex and Sandra
Car is looking awesome. :) x

Reactions: S3Alex and S.
thanks Sandra, lots of little things need sorting...

Reactions: Sandra
thanks Sandra, lots of little things need sorting...

There's always room for a little more.....

So clean!...very nice pics....a bit of HDR?

Reactions: S. and Sandra
Yes. A bit of ps, and hdr play...just loved yellow and blue sky color, so though i could give it a bit more color boost:smile new:
Just need to do a bit of maintanace work. Planed to do a bit of track day but it seems i won't get it done on time.

Reactions: S3Alex
Yes. A bit of ps, and hdr play...just loved yellow and blue sky color, so though i could give it a bit more color boost:smile new:
Just need to do a bit of maintanace work. Planed to do a bit of track day but it seems i won't get it done on time.

That's really nice.....good results.

Doesn't work well on white!
Do you use the camera or Other software to do the processing?

Well the issue with white cars is that the lines and the curves of the car are lost in the pictures without great lightning. That's why i often use software to enhance the pictures.
It's done in adobe photoshop (i'm amateur at using it, but i know enough to achieve what i like). The car looks more greyish but with more work everything is possible.

Truth is,you've made it work with white.

I can't seem to do that......in any case,my car is usually more grey than white for a different reason.
I think I need to try some aftermarket software.

My camera's processing is pretty good but it's either low,medium or high.

Thanks Alex.
There's lots of software nowdays from the ones on smartphone to the ones for pc or mac. I usually take pics with my phone as i don't need the proper camera, and use ps because i always mask the licence plates.
Yeah, white ones are pita to keep clean. When ever i wash the car it's dirty after 2 days max.

Thanks Alex.
There's lots of software nowdays from the ones on smartphone to the ones for pc or mac. I usually take pics with my phone as i don't need the proper camera, and use ps because i always mask the licence plates.
Yeah, white ones are pita to keep clean. When ever i wash the car it's dirty after 2 days max.

You should see mine.

It took an age for the local car wash guys to clean mine today.

I'm going to try something like PhotomatixPro soon.
To be fair the camera is pretty good,but something extra would be fun.

had the car serviced few days ago. changed all the fluids, filters, cam follower, brake pads, cleaned the catch can and had brake discs skimmed because i was getting vibrations. mechanic told me that the engine is in great condition. not bad for 70000km (most done with stage 2+).
had some issues with drivers door lock, but magically it went away.
also seems that the haldex controller has some kind of fault, no any driveability issues, but it shows error in VCDS (no communication with module), all wiring was checked and no faults there, contacted the seller and he said that he didn't have any issues, guess i had to check it immediately after fitting, not almost a month later (even tho the car was barelly driven at the time). i don't know what the issues is, because it works, and it works way better than oem haldex unit. don't know what to do with it.

Regards.

so few weeks ago i went to tyre garage to swap winter setup for summer setup, on a way back the passenger front spring snapped. thankfully i was at low speeds, and 100 m from home so drove it carefully last 100 m.
after inspection i saw that the spring has corroded and it has snapped like someone cut it. really weird as i didn't expect that from kw.
so after few calls and messages i've managed to find kw springs. so had the front 2 replaced. the rear 2 were in good condition.
also changed droplinks, and h&r anti roll bar bushings.
so i would advise anyone to check occasionally the condition of the springs/coilovers.
snapped spring on the car:
20160407 112031web

new springs:
20160414 190151web

old springs after swap:
20160420 142716web

and few pics after the wash with summer setup, and little enhancing.
20160422 1619312web
20160422 1619462web
20160422 1802392web

needs paint correction and detailing, and also new rubber.

Reactions: Tom5190 and S3Alex
Should be same as yours. 18x8 et45.
No issues, clearance is few mm's from spokes to calipers, and the wheel weights have been moved right to the edge of the wheel barrels.

sweet, cuz my brother's been wondering for long time if he could fit 18's on his RS3, anyways he bought OZ forumla hlt, but now we could get an extra pair of 18s for track :)

btw your car is looking great, too bad most of the old pics are not working anymore :(

Don't you have same wheels? You could try quick swap one wheel to get an idea how it fits/looks over the caliper? As i'm aware, rs3 discs are different to ttrs discs, as ttrs and rs3 hubs are different so you should double check first.
Thanks for kind words. I'm glad you like it.
Yeah, seems thst my imageshack account went down, so most of the pics are locked now..

few pics...

tomorrow i should also get engine cover in black and white theme, hopefully will be installed right away.

regards,
S.
Completely agree ive just fitted the DV+ and there is a noticeable difference in how it holds boost, seems to pull harder for longer and also ive noticed the hesitance when you change gear has gone, once you red line it and change gear the throttle response seems instance where as before i also got a little pause, its definitely a good mod for the money, nice car btw

fitted new michelin pilot sport 4 all around after a lot of thinking which tyres to get. so far they are excellent. they use michelin pss technology and compound as i've been told, but they are absolutely perfect in the wet. also seems that they are not as noisy as it says on the sticker.
very pleased with them.
20160712_182638web2-jpg.96801
20160701_183154web2-jpg.96802
20160701_183212web1-jpg.96803

Reactions: Raiden, leshkin, HHS3 and 1 other person
Your car looks superb.

Clean,sleek and shiny.
You should see mine right now....
It's back in off-road camouflage

Thanks mate.
It looks clean and shiny on the pics, but the age has taken its toll.
It's never that clean actually.

Your S3 is looking tidy mate, good job.

Great choice with the Michelin PS4's, I've had these on for half a year now and they're fantastic in both dry and wet conditions, I can't fault them so far.

Didn't update this for a while.
My car is of the road since the begining of 2017, didn't spend money on her for a while so she forced me now.
It's in the garage waiting for the parts and while it's there we are taking gearbox of to try to fix the issues that smf setups cause on 02Q gearboxes (maybe it will work on 02M too).
Some of us have issues with changing gears above 6400-6500rpms, and some have issues with dissengaging reverse, 1st and 2nd gear.
I've decided to be guinea pig and try to fix it. Once my car is back on the road, tested for a while and the fix works i'll create new thread with details and info for the fix.

Regards,
S.

Reactions: HHS3 and S3Alex