Facelift Its a Winter Tyre thread!

JonW

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to buy some winter tyres soon as I'm up in the Highlands over Christmas and New Year (Torridon area) and then off to Europe seeing friends in Jan/Feb so need to be road legal over there.

Can anybody recommend somewhere to buy them, been to the usual BlackCircles but was kinda hoping to get a deal if I bought some new summer tyres at the same time, my local Tyre garages were pretty reluctant to offer anything.

Thanks

Jon

I have today just fitted my Michelin Cross Climates to the e-tron I have had them a year and they have performed well . I choose them because the British winter can be so random but I don’t think it justified a proper winter tyre.

In the past I have had Nokian WR A4 which were a proper winter tyre . They we really good and good value .

I have always run these as a separate set of wheels at least one size smaller that what was on the car .

Try www.oponeo.co.uk it’s where I found the nokian

Got mine ordered from tyreleader.co.uk and order my tyres normally through them.

Reactions: davc
I have always run these as a separate set of wheels at least one size smaller that what was on the car .
A lad I work with was talking about getting some winter tyres/alloys for his suv, he said he's read about going one size smaller on the alloys for winter....what's the reason for that?

A lad I work with was talking about getting some winter tyres/alloys for his suv, he said he's read about going one size smaller on the alloys for winter....what's the reason for that?

I think the Tyre wall is a lot larger on a winter tyre over a low profile summer tyre

Reactions: Audi Bairn and S32B
One size smaller generally means going from original tyre e.g. 235/35/19 to 215 or 225/45/18....skinnier tyre offers better traction in snow and 45/18 is cheaper to buy and retains proper diameter (45) for speedometer reading.

Cheer's for those site suggestions, I'll have a mooch.

My Dad mentioned something about going smaller (alloy) with high wall to allow for a narrower footprint, that may have opened up my Ebay search criteria :0)

Reactions: S32B
I bought mine from MyTyres and had them delivered to my local fitter.

As has been mentioned it is normal (and cheaper) to go down an inch in wheel diameter assuming you are sourcing a 2nd set of alloys and the smaller size still clears the brake calipers and suspension, coupled with a larger profile tyre to minimise impact on rolling circumference.

Last edited:
Have a look on eBay for second hand sets and maybe call around some dealers as they might have display sets they want rid of. Golf wheels fit as well so that will widen your search a bit. VW wheels can be a bit cheaper than Audi wheels just reuse your original centre caps.
My last set was from a dealer and was less than half price to RRP as they have been sitting about for a while.
Another thing to think about is winter tyres need more tread to be good so if I were you I would look for 4mm+, ideally 5mm+, on second hand sets.
My current set is Pirelli sottozero 3, 225/40/18, and they were pretty good last winter. Previously used Dunlop winter3d and they were awesome when we had the beast from the east, I was the only one that could get in and out my street when the snow was a few inches thick.

I always use winter tyres in winter. Tried many brands, all premium. My current set is transferred from my previous car, a 8PA, and I think they are one of the best I tried so far. It's Conti Winter Contact TS850, 225/40/18.

Reactions: Fatbloke
I’ve heard some really good things about the Vredstien winter tyres. Worth having a look at them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc
I’ve heard some really good things about the Vredstien winter tyres. Worth having a look at them

Same here. Hence I'm going to be putting some on the S5

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Before this thread degenerates into yet another “which winter tyre is best” argument, AutoExpress and others do that test pretty much every year, and they have greater objectivity than any fanboy on here.

Bottom line - pretty munch any M+S tyre will be better in winter than a summer Tyre. Beyond that, read reviews.

Caveat: No winter tyre turns winter into summer. They just make the unmanageable, manageable.

Reactions: dantdi and AlS3BE
Hello,

I'm looking to buy some winter tyres soon as I'm up in the Highlands over Christmas and New Year (Torridon area) and then off to Europe seeing friends in Jan/Feb so need to be road legal over there.

Can anybody recommend somewhere to buy them, been to the usual BlackCircles but was kinda hoping to get a deal if I bought some new summer tyres at the same time, my local Tyre garages were pretty reluctant to offer anything.

Thanks

Jon
Have you seen the set @Antjos1 is selling on here? https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/winter-wheels-package.406166/

And I can vouch for that, just superb on our TT and RS3 but - due to heath reasons (and listed below) will no longer be used... :bye:

RS3 snow 1

Vredestein Audi winter tyre advert 13x

An genuine Audi 18" x 9J TT Mk 2 set and a 19" x 8J 8P RS3 set in the Trading Post now...
31.gif

TT Winter wheels 1x

RS3 winter wheels and tyres 1x

Maybe a set of genuine Audi 18" x 7.5J A1/S1 also on Toyo Snowprox; just awaiting buyer to collect, but if not these will be available too but not avertised yet):

A1 winter wheels 01

Last edited:
Reactions: dp_motley
@45bvtc , mind me asking a question? How did the RS3 rotors survived winter conditions? Any corrosion caused by salt on a diamond cut?

@45bvtc , mind me asking a question? How did the RS3 rotors survived winter conditions? Any corrosion caused by salt on a diamond cut?

I can only comment on the ones I have, dp_motley; both the 19-inch RS3 and 18-inch A1 that are genuine Audi with a substantial lacquer coating, have been no problem at all and still looking as good as new - and no "corrosion on the diamond cut." Reason for using OEM Rotors was they provided suitable spares for the summer rotors, obviously. A simple 5-spoke design easy to wash/clean both inside and out; I use a STD wash/wax followed with a rapid detail spray over and that's it. My SQ5 winters (and the reason I'm selling the TT, A1, and RS3 winters) are a similar 5-spoke design and genuine AUDI of course; just gotta make things as easy and quick to clean during the winter months...

SQ5 winters

I use my 19inch rotors over here in Switzerland. No problems at all. We had unbelievable amounts of snow last year but they performed great. No corrosion or laquer pealing etc.... You will be fine. The alloys shouldn't rust or have any corrosion unless you have an actual mark or scratch on the alloy as the laquer should protect it.

I use my 19inch rotors over here in Switzerland. No problems at all. We had unbelievable amounts of snow last year but they performed great. No corrosion or laquer pealing etc.... You will be fine. The alloys shouldn't rust or have any corrosion unless you have an actual mark or scratch on the alloy as the laquer should protect it.

probably better higher quality salt over in Switzerland than the cr4p we use over here. Which by the looks of it is salt mixed with sand and some other rubbish.
Had diamond cut alloys on my a6 and they didn’t survive the first winter. Luckily replaced under warranty.

Reactions: Ormesome
I have 16" Audi alloys as winter wheels with Continental WinterContact TS 860 all round. 205 x 55 x 16.

They have been very good (Glencoe, Cairngorm etc).

Normally get them from Camskill and get them fitted locally.

Just a thought of changing front tyres only to winter tyres. But concerned about losing the back end of the car. Any thoughts?

Just a thought of changing front tyres only to winter tyres. But concerned about losing the back end of the car. Any thoughts?

you still need grip at the rear!!! if not then it will step out each time you go round a snowy corner! I know the UK doesn't have much snow bla bla bla, but i don't really see the logic sorry!

probably better higher quality salt over in Switzerland than the cr4p we use over here. Which by the looks of it is salt mixed with sand and some other rubbish.
Had diamond cut alloys on my a6 and they didn’t survive the first winter. Luckily replaced under warranty.

Not sure actually. all i know is that my rotors are really banged up on the edges because it's my 1st LHD car and i took ages getting used to judging the other side of the car, but they havent been affected by salt or pealing laquer yet...

Vikki Butler Henderson (5th gear) did a video on this. You should be able to get it on youtube.

Long story short, get them all round.

Check it out: "The rock salt we use for gritting roads comes from mines of ancient underground salt deposits. In the UK, mines are situated in Cleveland, County Antrim and below the Cheshire town of Winsford" : https://www.saltassociation.co.uk/education/make-salt/rock-salt-production/

And then where does all this road salt/grit go after? Into our road side verges, sewers and streams and rivers, etc.

Does Gritta Thunderberg know I wonder...
7072.gif

Gimmi lots of fresh snow and appropriate winter rubber on each corner and let the gritters (but not the ploughs) stay home.

Reactions: Ormesome and AlS3BE
Winters ON this weekend I'm thinking; consider this week for example where MAX daytime temperatures are 7/8/5/7/6/7/8/7ºC and MIN 0/3/2/2/2/3/4ºC for my mid-Staffordshire locality (7ºC summer tyre temperature recommended lower limit **), and wet!

Weather this week end

Note**: "Summer tyres are dedicated to the weather conditions from spring to autumn. The conditions of use of summer models are limited by the temperature: if it falls below 7º degrees, summer tyres lose their traction properties."

** See: https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/all-season-tyres-vs-summer-tyres

On the road SAFETY for me and mine is worth all the effort and every £ in making sure them 4-rubber bits making contact with the road are as suitable as is possible - no good complaining when stuck up someone else's back-end or in a ditch or just 'stuck' through lack of traction, even,

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam14 and Ormesome
Winters ON this weekend I'm thinking; consider this week for example where MAX daytime temperatures are 7/8/5/7/6/7/8/7ºC and MIN 0/3/2/2/2/3/4ºC for my mid-Staffordshire locality (summer tyre temperature recommended lower limit **), and wet!

View attachment 193278

Note**: "Summer tyres are dedicated to the weather conditions from spring to autumn. The conditions of use of summer models are limited by the temperature: if it falls below 7º degrees, summer tyres lose their traction properties."

On the road SAFETY for me and mine is worth all the effort and every £ in making sure them 4-rubber bits making contact with the road are as suitable as is possible - no good complaining when stuck up someone else's back-end or in a ditch or just 'stuck' through lack of traction, even,

Had mine fitted yesterday, snow is coming! really weird but my steering feels lighter with the new tyres on. Think i might be in need of some new summer tires.

IMG 0156

Winters ON this weekend I'm thinking; consider this week for example where MAX daytime temperatures are 7/8/5/7/6/7/8/7ºC and MIN 0/3/2/2/2/3/4ºC for my mid-Staffordshire locality (7ºC summer tyre temperature recommended lower limit **), and wet!

View attachment 193278

Completely agree. Got my winter tyres on order using the same tyres as you after your recommendation.
After the cold weather last year the S3 was sketchy at times so will be good to see how the S5 performs with some new shoes

Completely agree. Got my winter tyres on order using the same tyres as you after your recommendation.
After the cold weather last year the S3 was sketchy at times so will be good to see how the S5 performs with some new shoes

If you've never experienced 'winter tyres' before Adam then you're in for a treat and will be wanting to get your S5 out on the white-stuff just to evaluate...

PLUS, you can clean and save your summers for next year...

Reactions: Adam14
My Winter tyres fitted today. I have a Summer and Winter set of wheels and I store the wheels in my garage in wheel bags until needed. I then load the wheels in the car and go to my local tyre place which swaps the wheels over for me for £24. I really can’t complain at that because it takes me over an hour to do myself and hurts my back!

Reactions: Ormesome and 45bvtc
Why u some of you changing when there is no any snow??!?!

Why u some of you changing when there is no any snow??!?!
Because as stated winter tyres aren't purely for snow. When the weather drops below 7(ish) Celsius winter rubber performs better than summer.
In the UK the days are starting to head towards this already. Plus it maximises the useful period of the tyre.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, pburv and 45bvtc