Facelift It has got to go! :(

The Kendragon

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sadly my A3 has got to go as work has given me a company car (Ford Focus estate) and I can't justify the money when I only drive it for a maximum of 8 days of the month. I've done 10,000 miles in it brining the total to 14,500 (was a nearly new used car) but I've loved every single one of those miles. Audi have told me that the settlement for my PCP deal is £21,287 so do you think I can sell it for that?

The specification:
- Audi A3 Sportback
- 2.0 TDI with 6 speed manual transmission
- Glacier white
- Comfort and sound pack
- Privacy glass

There are a few marks that I'm getting taken out and webuyanycar.com have offered £17,000 so I know it's going to be worth more than their offer. Also any suggestions on where to sell it would be great :) Any help would be much appreciated and I will still be at AITP 2017 to see your rides and meet you all. When my Mrs learns to drive, we'll be back on the Audi ladder don't you worry ;)

A sad Steven :(

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton, TDI-line, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Hi guys,

Sadly my A3 has got to go as work has given me a company car (Ford Focus estate) and I can't justify the money when I only drive it for a maximum of 8 days of the month. I've done 10,000 miles in it brining the total to 14,500 (was a nearly new used car) but I've loved every single one of those miles. Audi have told me that the settlement for my PCP deal is £21,287 so do you think I can sell it for that?

The specification:
- Audi A3 Sportback
- Glacier white
- Comfort and sound pack
- Privacy glass

There are a few marks that I'm getting taken out and webuyanycar.com have offered £17,000 so I know it's going to be worth more than their offer. Also any suggestions on where to sell it would be great :) Any help would be much appreciated and I will still be at AITP 2017 to see your rides and meet you all. When my Mrs learns to drive, we'll be back on the Audi ladder don't you worry ;)

Try Autotrader mate they will charge £46 for the privilege but they will also give you a genuine valuation of the car prior to posting your advert as a guide

Good luck with the sale

Worth trying all of the on-line buyers. You won't get as much as a private sale maybe but a bit less hassle. When I sold my S3, webuyanycar offered £23k and Evans Hallshaw offered £27k so can be a huge spread in the offers from that type of buyer.

Reactions: Bells, richinsoton and azibux1
Try Autotrader mate they will charge £46 for the privilege but they will also give you a genuine valuation of the car prior to posting your advert as a guide

Good luck with the sale
Okay thank you, I'll look into that once I've taken some pictures and got it looking shiny :)

Worth trying all of the on-line buyers. You won't get as much as a private sale maybe but a bit less hassle. When I sold my S3, webuyanycar offered £23k and Evans Hallshaw offered £27k so can be a huge spread in the offers from that type of buyer.
I was thinking that, I'll look into Evans Hallshaw as well just to see what my options are. Thank you!

Okay thank you, I'll look into that once I've taken some pictures and got it looking shiny :)

I was thinking that, I'll look into Evans Hallshaw as well just to see what my options are. Thank you!
Yeah it would be in your best interests to get all them imperfections removed prior to selling, speculate to accumulate as they say lol

Reactions: The Kendragon and TDI-line
Autotrader
Parkers
Motors
Pistonheads
Ebay
Gumtree
Sellcar.co.uk
Audi main dealer ?

Good luck

Reactions: The Kendragon and Jassyo06
Autotrader
Parkers
Motors
Pistonheads
Ebay
Gumtree
Sellcar.co.uk
Audi main dealer ?

Good luck

Could also try taking into a couple of local independent dealers but eyeballing your cars spec and the fact I sold a similar spec car privately for around £19k a couple of years back I expect you won't break even against the PCP settlement figure so just hand it back.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Hi guys,

The specification:
- Audi A3 Sportback
- Glacier white
- Comfort and sound pack
- Privacy glass

Done most of the places online to buy my car, best price was from here http://www.mikebrewerbuysyourcar.com/ Audi had offered £19k, WBAC £19.5k, Mike Brewer around £21,700

Couldn't you get a car allowance instead of the Focus?

I didn't realise your car is only a few months old. :(

I think a company car is great. But what if you need to change job? What if you lose your job? Don’t want to seem all negative but I have always been weary of giving up a car you own (even on finance) for a car that can be taken away at any point.

If your not driving it much then the value and the settlement amount will eventually reach a break even point. It could be worth waiting it out a bit and seeing.

Reactions: TDI-line
Could also try taking into a couple of local independent dealers but eyeballing your cars spec and the fact I sold a similar spec car privately for around £19k a couple of years back I expect you won't break even against the PCP settlement figure so just hand it back.
I agree it might be hard for me to break even completely but due to the insurance reimbursement I'll get (£2,000), I just need to sell it for £19,000 or higher :)

Done most of the places online to buy my car, best price was from here http://www.mikebrewerbuysyourcar.com/ Audi had offered £19k, WBAC £19.5k, Mike Brewer around £21,700
Thank you, I'll fill in a form and see what they say!

Couldn't you get a car allowance instead of the Focus?

I didn't realise your car is only a few months old. :(
I can't, I did ask but it isn't something my employers offer (annoyingly) :(

I think a company car is great. But what if you need to change job? What if you lose your job? Don’t want to seem all negative but I have always been weary of giving up a car you own (even on finance) for a car that can be taken away at any point.

If your not driving it much then the value and the settlement amount will eventually reach a break even point. It could be worth waiting it out a bit and seeing.
I know where you're coming from but I require the car to do my job so unless they sack me, I'll need the car haha! Just seems crazy to pay £370 a month for the A3 to hardly drive it. It will be missed though, by far the most amazing car I have been in (passenger or driver) :'(

People move jobs all the time. If it's a marketing or sales job they are highly volatile and I'd hold off a few months and ensure your secure before you get rid of your own car.

You could lose your job. It happens. I've lost my job many times. I have had company cars and lost them too. Without my own car I'd have had no transport and the last thing you can afford without a job is to buy a new car.

Reactions: richinsoton and TDI-line
People move jobs all the time. If it's a marketing or sales job they are highly volatile and I'd hold off a few months and ensure your secure before you get rid of your own car.

You could lose your job. It happens. I've lost my job many times. I have had company cars and lost them too. Without my own car I'd have had no transport and the last thing you can afford without a job is to buy a new car.
That's fair but I've been with this company for about 2.5 years so I know I'm in a secure position. I'm a field service engineer dealing with computers, servers and backup solutions so I think I'll be okay as it's a small team. If I worked for a major/bigger company, I would be worried haha!

I would still go for using your car. You can then claim the car as a business expense on your yearly income tax. That would include all expenses PCP payments, fuel, insurance etc.....a win win for you. Or the company pays you an allowance, but you have to show it as earnings on your tax return and balance that with your car business expenses.
Edit: Also note that a company car is not free. You will still have to pay income tax on it. You will pay tax on all personal use i.e travel to work and back and all other personal use. You will be required to keep a log of business and personal use for all mileage on any of the above scenarios.

Last edited:
I would still go for using your car. You can then claim the car as a business expense on your yearly income tax. That would include all expenses PCP payments, fuel, insurance etc.....a win win for you. Or the company pays you an allowance, but you have to show it as earnings on your tax return and balance that with your car business expenses.
Edit: Also note that a company car is not free. You will still have to pay income tax on it. You will pay tax on all personal use i.e travel to work and back and all other personal use. You will be required to keep a log of business and personal use for all mileage on any of the above scenarios.
I've asked my work and they have said I am not allowed to use my own car. I've listed my Audi on AutoTrader and eBay so hopefully it sells soon..... A real number!

Reactions: Jassyo06
I'm wounded for you, only collected on the 25th of March and it has to go :grey:

Reactions: The Kendragon
It's not up to your work to decide if you use your own car or not. As long as you have the correct class of insurance then there is no issue. They cannot tell you to get shot of your car and use there's or head for the nearest door basically.

Reactions: The Kendragon and RSS-S3
I've been trying to sell my car so that I don't lose too much money but everyone is offering about £17,000 for it meaning I'm like £4,000 short on what I owe the finance company. Due to this, it has just been sat on my driveway SORN while I'm driving around the Ford Focus (ewwww!). I moaned to my manager about the situation and they are looking into the logistics of me using my Audi when the lease on the Ford ends (December). As I do a lot of mileage, I'm thinking of financing the final balloon payment when I get there so I own the car and don't get charged hundreds on excess mileage :) The only problem is the £5,000 business insurance!

The company is screwing you around, as they are only looking at their financial obligations on a leased car. You can use your own car and the company is then responsible for all costs, including business insurance...look at my previous post on this matter.

Reactions: richinsoton and The Kendragon
Time to have a very serious conversation with your manager...they compensate you for any loses you incur on the disposal of your car including any finance payments you have made from the time of promotion to the new position.....Or???

Time to have a very serious conversation with your manager...they compensate you for any loses you incur on the disposal of your car including any finance payments you have made from the time of promotion to the new position.....Or???
Agreed, I am going to have a chat with him. I want to keep my Audi and use it so I'm going to say it's either that or I'm going elsewhere. With what I do, it won't be too hard to change company and earn more money... It's not worth staying and losing out on thousands of pounds :(

Reactions: TDI-line
So what was the outcome GTA?
Hi mate! I decided to keep it as I would've lost about £4,000 due to what it was worth and what the finance company wanted from me. My work have said I can start using it but will only start paying the car allowance once the Focus' lease ends (December).

On top of this, I have decided to buy my A3 at the end of my PCP deal and have started modding it :hearteyes:

Reactions: paradigital and TDI-line
Hi mate! I decided to keep it as I would've lost about £4,000 due to what it was worth and what the finance company wanted from me. My work have said I can start using it but will only start paying the car allowance once the Focus' lease ends (December).

On top of this, I have decided to buy my A3 at the end of my PCP deal and have started modding it :hearteyes:

That's a better ending than the first post made it out to be! Glad you get to keep it and enjoy it :)

Reactions: TDI-line and The Kendragon