Issue with my gearbox

Rydog

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I’m almost certain my lay shaft bearing in my Audi A3 2.0 TDI has gone/going. In 5th gear, when I take my foot off the clutch it sounds like an awful crunching noise that is there constantly until I either put my foot on the throttle, or I push down on the clutch. I know this is also a sign of low oil, however I have literally just changed that less than 500 miles ago. On top of that, if while I’m driving I rest my foot gently on the clutch, and slightly pump the accelerator, the clutch try’s to ping back up, which I was told was a sign the bearing has some play in it. Also, the gears sometimes can be near on impossible to get in or get out of gear if I’m unlucky.

does anyone know if this sounds like a layshaft bearing issue? If so, is it worth fixing? The car is a 2006, so an old car now, not sure if it’s worth chucking loads of money at it now, or if i should just use this as an excuse to upgrade.

any help would be appreciated.

A car's age has nothing to do with it. What's the condition and mileage of the car? That's the important question when considering whether or not to invest more money into it. Also, how long have you had it, does it owe you anything? Has it been a money pit or have you enjoyed reliable motoring?

If it's in good condition, doesn't owe you anything and has been reliable then I'd say it's worth spending on.

Mileage is at 152k, I’ve had the car for a fair few years now and it’s been great, only ever cost me the essentials such services, and the odd little bit here and there, however this year it’s set me back a little with a few issues. I love the car, but I’m assuming having the gearbox repaired/replaced is going to set me back a fair bit.

The last gearbox I had rebuilt was on a V6 Renault Laguna. That was a few years ago, cost around £800 for a full rebuild then. I'd expect prices to be around £1k or so now.