issue with led's fitting in no plate bulb holders

glenandem

Reaction score
bought some led bulbs for my no plate and fitted them today and they keep flickering like mad, the connections seem good as i put the non led bulbs back in and theyre spot on?
anyone else had an issue like this or have i got crappy cheap led bulbs!!

Have same problem after several months to a year on the car, poor quality even though bought what seemed best possible.
Must be particularly poor if flickering straight out the box.
Anyone got a link or contact for festoon LED's that last more than a year ?

Get these: Ultra Bright LED License Number Plate Lights Lamp AUDI A3. A4 B6 B7, A6 C6, Q7

and never have an issue :)

20131102_140650_zps2ddbfeb6.jpg

There is your problem, you get what you pay for. I always buy more expensive LEDs and have no issues.

lol it can stick with the old style festoon bulbs then, cant justify spending £30 on a set of no plate bulbs!!
they might be old and yellow but they light the no plate up:sadlike:

Did yours fit proper flush Chris? I bought what I reckon are probably exactly the same ones as those you linked to but off ebay, see if I can find the link... here

They don't sit completely flush though so you can really see the light from the led's itself rather than just the emitted glow when standing/driving behind. They're so bright that the number plate is not even readable when you go further back which is also a concern as I'm sure the fuzz will eventually have something to say about it. How do yours fit?

I'm thinking of going with these next...probably not as bright but should fit properly.

Thirty quid's a bit much, could get A5 ones and adapters for a couple quid over that.

Mine did this, the pins need adjusting, I pulled my outwards/upwards and this made the unit a tighter fit. But works perfectly now. It's the holders not the bulbs that's at error. Just poorly designed. I've had mine for a good few months now with no issues after a bit of tweeting.

By the way this also needs to be done when changing OEM bulbs sometimes.

Hmm, mine looks like they haven't quite been machined properly.

Was thinking of taking a file to the plastic retaining lugs on the lamp itself as that is what seems to be the problem. When you tighten the screws it pushes the opposite end (plastic retaining clippy-slopey thing) out against the lamp holder trim and starts to lift it out - possible the screw holes in the lamp have been drilled fractionally out of line.

To be fair, when purchasing the car it came with the MyLiteCo style ones anyway so when the O/S one failed (heavy corrosion) I bought the same things again. Incidentally the pair that the car came with fitted pretty much perfectly flush so I reckon this pair are just a bit mis-manufactured.

Thought it could be due to the corrosion on the lamp holder trim itself so scraped it all off and cleaned it up - still poor fitting. In the end decided to buy a new trim and even with that I'm still having the same issue so gonna wipe my butt with them and buy the Genuine A5/Q7/whatever else ones. Hopefully that will give me the flush fit as I am concerned about water getting in them when jet-washing. The o/s one I replaced started flickering (it's fine again now) after a recent wash hence why I'm taking a second look at the whole thing.

Mine fit flush mate

20131102_134125_zps4a33e31d.jpg

Yours do look slightly different to the MyLitCo ones. MyLitCo stuff is always top notch. As above can you not try adjust the contacts on the back so it goes further in?

Mine fit flush mate

20131102_134125_zps4a33e31d.jpg

Yours do look slightly different to the MyLitCo ones. MyLitCo stuff is always top notch. As above can you not try adjust the contacts on the back so it goes further in?

Yeah they do don't they :) Thanks for sharing the pic.

Mine sit flush but start pushing themselves outwards at the other end the further you screw them in. Had a play with the connectors yesterday but no better - come to the conclusion that the holes are just slightly drilled out of alignment. I could prob. make them fit better if I filed a bit off the opposite edge to the screw but can't really be ***** with them now. Just gonna get the Audi ones and bung these on ebay or something.

Out of interest Chris, if you rub your fingers across the lens does yours have a knurled effect or is it smooth? The old ones I had were knurled but the replacement set I bought are smooth. Wonder if like you said mine are slightly different and/or shyte compared to MyLiteCo's.

Cheers for your help guys and sorry for half-jacking your thread OP :)

Last edited:
Both if they're thirty quid haha, got some cheap LED one's off eBay for less than half that (still not fitted though so not going to comment on quality). If I was willing to spend more it would of been on A5's with adapter instead of getting an expensive version of what I've already got which probably won't look right and flicker (which I'm expecting the ones I've got to do... may as well try them though... providing I can be bothered to fit of course).

i got bulbs of ebay for £3 its all about spending some time and fitting them right so they dont flicker, if you fit them badly even the OE ones will flicker