ISSUE: Heated Rear Window & Jet Washer

Shady0808

Audi S3 Essex
Reaction score
My heated rear window has decided to stop working, after pressing the button the light comes on for about 2 seconds then turns off. My rear jet washer has also stopped, no liquid being squirted but I can hear the motor trying to spray, rear wiper still wipes too!

Anyway I'm going to attempt to diagnose the problem myself rather than paying out £60 for someone else to tell me what's wrong... also learn something in the process.

Going to have a go today, I've heard the tube can come loose or leak and then short out the electrics in the back. My boot still locks and not noticed any screen-wash leaking anywhere. I have an OBD11 Pro that I can use to fault find too. I have removed the rear boot trim before to install an "anti-fault" wire for my number plate LED's so hopefully shouldn't have much trouble getting it off again.

I'll post my findings but anyone have any ideas of what it might be?

Try removing the nozzle jet from the top of the rear wiper, they often clog and prevent any water getting through.
If water sprays out when it is removed, then you need a new nozzle which is a couple of quid to buy from Audi/TPS or online.

So I managed to clean out the rear nozzles so that's fixed.

I run the error check on the OBD11 Pro app and this is what I got below.

Looks like fault "00830" is appearing in both GATEWAY and CENTRAL ELECTRICS, assume it's same fault. Odd thing is I don't have a convertible but do have a sun roof. The error also seems to match the time I last pressed the rear heated screen button.
Screenshot 20181010 173611 OBDeleven Screenshot 20181010 173538 OBDeleven

Also have P0441 error, anyone know if this is anything to worry about?
Screenshot 20181010 173242 OBDeleven

You might want to pm @Sandra and ask her to put it into the vcd's section where it will get viewed more and correct section for these posts . Cheers

So I managed to clean out the rear nozzles so that's fixed.

I run the error check on the OBD11 Pro app and this is what I got below.

Looks like fault "00830" is appearing in both GATEWAY and CENTRAL ELECTRICS, assume it's same fault. Odd thing is I don't have a convertible but do have a sun roof. The error also seems to match the time I last pressed the rear heated screen button.
View attachment 167552 View attachment 167553

Also have P0441 error, anyone know if this is anything to worry about?
View attachment 167554
Going by coding it looks like an emission problem..
The closets i could find to your other problem is .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181011-152308_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-152308_Samsung Internet.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Screenshot_20181011-152702_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-152702_Samsung Internet.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: Shady0808
Going by coding it looks like an emission problem..
The closets i could find to your other problem is .

Nice cheers mate didn't know about that Ross Tech site, will use that in future.

So apart from checking the fuses in the engine bay and the fuses on the side of the dash, the next step is to take the boot trim off and checking wiring right?

Last edited:
To be honest mate i couldn't say for sure as i have never had this problem with my S3 , was just given you an idea about your codes.
Personnally i find the Vcd's cable better as it gives u a more indepth answer to a fault code , costs a lot more that the one your using and in the long run i feel pays for itself .

If I take the boot trim off, does anyone know what I'll be looking for to find the fault with the heated window not working?