is water dmg to ECU a common fault?

Stink

Reaction score
I'm currently having a right mare with my A3 mainly relating to the glow plug light flashing and the car going into limp mode.Had it scanned when it first started and then the car was fine and the light stayed off, one of thje faults was water on the ecu. The light goes on and goes of for a past time days at a time when its off no problems the car runs smooth and is lovely but when it decides to come on its just a ball ache.Could water dmg to the ecu make it be like this? I'm going to get it scanned again to see if any other faults come up but its doing my head in :(

it would be handy to know what the scan said. Why do you think it was water on the ecu? If water has got in to the multiplug you could get all sorts of problems & they would get worse if the terminals rust.

it would be handy to know what the scan said. Why do you think it was water on the ecu? If water has got in to the multiplug you could get all sorts of problems & they would get worse if the terminals rust.

Khufu. Sorry to post off topic but you live in the same neck of the woods as me. I was on the retro fit white clocks thread but found you here. Who fitted your white clocks/dis for you? I've got a chance of a set. Can you post on that thread or PM me? Again sorry all for off topic

TBH the ecu is fairly well sealed so finding it hard to see how thats possible even in the plenum chmaber, but hey nothings impossible, but yes as Ewan asks, please post a vcds log so we can help further.

here is the faults that came up on the first scan going to be booking it it angain to get another diagnostic and see what htye say needs to be done

18353 - Control module 1 for cooling fan - output short circuit - intermittent
18359 - Radiator fan 2 - movement restricted / jammed - intermittent
17055 - Cylinder 1 glow plug circuit
16610 - throttle pedal position sensor
18041 - accelerator position sensor 2

Hows that denote water in ecu mate, I've had those faults when my turbo was on its way out, strange to show errors like this for turbo, but it did show some of these, thats not to say thats your issue.

i knwo its not a fault that came up but teh garage that done the diagnostic said it woudl be advisable to check to see fi there was any water dmg so not sure if that is the case or not

well goign to get it booked in againa nd see what solution to my problem they say just hope its not an expensive one :(

Had the bottom three faults in the winter a couple of years ago. Thought it was a faulty accelerator pedal unplugged it, plugged back in and no more problems.

Those errors might bear some relation to turbo failing like you mention Nigel, as mine had to be replaced few months later.