Is VW (Golf) the premium brand?

Dave-o

Reaction score
It seems that way in the US at least for one small part. On the A3/S3 when the sun visor is moved to the side window, the visor can't slide backward (you know, to actually block the sun) whereas this is a standard feature on all Golfs. Question is, can my European brethren slide their visors forward and backward?

Being honest, I have no clue what your on about, I've owned both cars and the visors in both pivot on the arm closest to the A pilar to the side window but never move more than that 90 degree ish action. Only car that's ever moved further than that was my old Merto Turbo and that was because the visor wasn't attached to the arm and it how you took it off.

To be fair though we don't use the, in Europe that much as our roads rarely go in that much of a straight line for long that the Suns in one place .

Reactions: TahirS
The golf apparently also offers seat memory and sunglasses holder options, seems odd that the more premium of the two brands is missing features. Is the golf missing anything good that the A3 has? (other than looks and interior ;-) )

Funny question this.....

as I was looking at various Golf R forums last night whilst I wait for collection of my S3.

It seems there are many more issues with the Golf R regarding perceived quality. All of the owners seem to admit the S3 is a more premium quality product but with much less value for money on the spec front.

There are quite a few R owners not happy with the build quality and materials used on their cars.

When ŷou compare them to this forum, they complain a lot whereas on here the majority of members seem generally happy with their cars.

Reactions: Cleggy70
The golf apparently also offers seat memory and sunglasses holder options, seems odd that the more premium of the two brands is missing features. Is the golf missing anything good that the A3 has? (other than looks and interior ;-) )
The memory electric seats are only available if you have leather. My current A3 has electric operation of the seats but no memory.

Golf also seems to have heated steering wheel and heated windscreen as options...

s1200_francella_meme_oh_god_just_kill_me_right_now_by_foreverzerodragon_d56mytj.jpg

Reactions: Jassyo06, Bristle Hound, Brasso and 5 others
I test drove several Golfs before buying my current A3 and for me the biggest difference was Choice. With the A3 you can choose which options you want and which you don't. I generally add quite a number of options to my car and with the Golf, VW tend to make up packages for various models which include things I personally would not want.

For example, to have the 184 engine I have in my A3 you have to have a GTD version of the Golf which includes things like 18" alloys, sports suspension, black roof lining, stainless steel pedals, and privacy glass for example. With the A3 I can get much closer to my 'ideal' spec. Having said that I still much prefer the touch screen setup in the Golf to the Audi MMI and also the fact that the ACC controls are on the steering wheel rather than a extra lever.

In the end it came down really to the slightly better quality interior and options choice of the A3 but the Golf is very close.

Funny question this.....

as I was looking at various Golf R forums last night whilst I wait for collection of my S3.

It seems there are many more issues with the Golf R regarding perceived quality. All of the owners seem to admit the S3 is a more premium quality product but with much less value for money on the spec front.

There are quite a few R owners not happy with the build quality and materials used on their cars.

When ŷou compare them to this forum, they complain a lot whereas on here the majority of members seem generally happy with their cars.

Good friend of mine has the latest Golf R and he'd concur with those sentiments. He's had a few rattles to deal with and when he gets in my S3, always remarks it's a nicer place to be. The cars themselves - horses for courses really. Performance wise and to drive, you can't split them. Looks? I don't like the R that much and he thinks my S3 is too bland. Heck, neither of us have bad cars, just what ever floats your boat I guess. His R cost nigh on the same as my S3 BTW, thus dispelling the usual 'it costs less' comments one always comes across when comparing. He also has to use a VW dealer - good luck with that!!!

Reactions: Kugaman1
Sorry for the confusion. This thread isn't really intended to be about Golf vs. A3, but rather I'm trying to find out whether non-US A3/S3 sun visors are different from US visors. My owner's manual says the sun visor should slide backward and forward when positioned by the side window. Mine doesn't slide, nor do any of the others here in the US. In sunny California (fourth year of drought) a long commute seems even longer when the sun blasts in for 45 minutes in the morning, then the same in the evening, day after day... I'm hoping non-US sun visors have the slide feature mentioned in the owner's manual so I can do a swap.

No worries, it's all meant to be light hearted :) Just checked mine and it just pivots, no slide.

I always remain quiet until invited ;)

So

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Bristle Hound
Well, we can start with price if you like ....

PL (6+23) for a Golf R 300PS - £222 monthly incl VAT

I have yet to see a S3 as cheap as that ;)

Golf R v Audi S3 or whatever......To be honest l didnt have any allegiance to either marque,well maybe l did? l loved the look of some of the big Audi's.... S8 AND ALL THE RS models,but never had any inclination/liking of VW's whatsoever true, would rather have a Seat Cupra/FR or even better a Ford Focus ST before a Golf GTI/R as they are a all round better car's in my opinion,ITS ALL DOWN TO PERCEIVED QUALTY,in my opinion and thats how the germans want it to be and market them as such as we all know.okay at this current time the Golf R has had loads press acolades thrown at it,so had my Focus ST..

But l Love me S3, looks Awesome, if a bit bouncy lol and its far more unique looking than any other VW hatchback or Ford

Well, we can start with price if you like ....

PL (6+23) for a Golf R 300PS - £222 monthly incl VAT

I have yet to see a S3 as cheap as that ;)

I'm guessing thats a no options price if it's a lease deal. Once you add leather and a few other bits i'm sure the prices will be closer :)

No worries, it's all meant to be light hearted :) Just checked mine and it just pivots, no slide.
Thanks for the confirmation. Guess I'll just leave the old t-shirt in the window :eek:

I'm guessing thats a no options price if it's a lease deal. Once you add leather and a few other bits i'm sure the prices will be closer :)

Yes, even when you add options to both cars to get similar specs, it's still adrift by around £180 per month. Which is £4.3k over 24 months.

£222 per month for a 300PS car though? Bargian :)

Reactions: Psyman79
It is a good price and i almost looked at an R but VW up here are terrible and i think in the end there were more things i disliked than liked about the car.

Reactions: elpaulio
I think there are going to be a lot of lease companys out of pocket in 2/3 years.
Theyve done these mega cheap R lease deals based on high GFVs.
From the amount of people that have taken them up, I think the market will get flooded and drive the values down.....

I'm getting my A3 on a company car scheme (for personal use) so perhaps I've seen different prices. The lease prices (including the BIK tax I have to pay) were cheaper for the Audi A3 150 TFSI than the equivalent Golf 150 turbo petrol - the same Cylinder on Demand engine I think. The Golf without options was a good £10 a month more expensive over 4 years versus the A3 with options.

The Golf did have more spec as standard like adaptive cruise control, parking sensors...some of which I added. But it didn't have part leather seats like the A3 S Line has as standard, nor did the interior look as good - the S Line has that flat bottom steering wheel etc.

In my situation it was a no-brainer to go for an A3 over a Golf.

I think there are going to be a lot of lease companys out of pocket in 2/3 years.
From the amount of people that have taken them up, I think the market will get flooded and drive the values down.....
Upside of this is that the market will be flooded with cheapo 2 year old Golf R's ! :eyebrows:

Wonder if the wife will want one ... :whistle2::D

Reactions: Blackwhite and elpaulio

What puzzles me with the leasing scheme I used is you can pick any car and put whatever options you want and they have to give it to you.

So I'll have a 1.0 Audi A1 SE with full leather seats, Bose sound system...I think I'll de-badge it completely and have it in baby pink, also I'll get a 3 door but only get heated rear seats just to **** off whoever sits in the front.

I have no idea what happens to a car like that after the lease has ended, but I wouldn't want to be the salesman trying to flog that abomination.

Reactions: Daz Auto
Just to go back to topic, spoke to my friend who is a VW business director and USA golf do have the second bit to the visor just because it's something American car builders have been installing forever so the buyers expect it and Vw had to follow suit.

assume that Audi were more steadfast in the 'were premium they will have it as euro spec' hence its missing.....

Will a Golf visor fit the S3? Best of both worlds...

Just to go back to topic, spoke to my friend who is a VW business director and USA golf do have the second bit to the visor just because it's something American car builders have been installing forever so the buyers expect it and Vw had to follow suit.

assume that Audi were more steadfast in the 'were premium they will have it as euro spec' hence its missing.....

Or, it could just be a little bit of cost trimming by Audi. Golfs in Europe have a 'slider' and girlfriend's Q5 slides, but the Q3 doesn't.

Will a Golf visor fit the S3? Best of both worlds...

That would be too easy - according to my VW parts guy (I also own a Golf), the mechanical interface and electrical connector are both different!

Upside of this is that the market will be flooded with cheapo 2 year old Golf R's ! :eyebrows:

Wonder if the wife will want one ... :whistle2::D
I thought this was a great idea, but sadly my wife wants to keep her A3. :(

Though it would be an interesting idea for my next car as I hope to be doing a lot less miles in a year or twos time.

As for the car comparison - I prefer the style, MMI and ACC controls of our A3. Which probably count's most. However, the new Golf just feels bigger and probably has a better tuned chassis. Though, the Golf also has a sunglasses holder and second foot rest. Every time I drive the A3 and set the cruise control I look for somewhere to rest my foot. I cannot understand why the "premium" brand Audi does not have these. In fact, when we left the A3 in for a service a month ago, I checked all the cars in the showroom. No Audi had a second foot rest. Though the A1 had a space suitable for one.

where!!?? haven't seen that for ages

Centralvehicleleasing.co.uk,had the Golf R manual/No metallic..for this price in Febuary as did most of them,as at matter of fact the Golf R is still available at £189.99+VAT

Last edited: