Is this VCDS cable genuine ?

Minion Bob!

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just wanted to ask if anyone could tell me if this cable is genuine?

Can't see the image, where did you buy it from?

Its embeded within the post, I couldnt get it to upload. Its a friends cable, its printed with VAG Com 11.11 on the back and has a sticker on the front that says Hex + Can with ross techs web address at the bottom, no serial number and when i tried using it the driver doesnt install for it on the pc.

No serial equals not genuine in my realm, its probably fake, pic isn't showing

lol, thanks Santos.

Reactions: Sandra
Do I have to fire up my exceedingly slow netbook to get my serial number, or is it the one on the black plug?

The short serial will be written on the cable label, long serial is within the software.

Just remembered I still have the original activation email from Linda at Ross Tech which has the long one contained within. I assume that's the one required for a map application?

Just remembered I still have the original activation email from Linda at Ross Tech which has the long one contained within. I assume that's the one required for a map application?
Send application

The screws are a sign of a fake cable.
Genuine cable will have torx and not x-head (phillips).

Reactions: Minion Bob!
The main tell that a system is an illegal copy is as NHN said - it is locked to a particular release of VCDS. In our 15 years of operating this business, we have never locked a customer to a version of our software. The people who bought their very first system back in 2000, still enjoy free updates to the latest software! And yes, Customer 1 is still with us! And yes, they have updated hundreds of times over the 15 years for free.

Whenever you see a system that tells you it is VAG-COM or VCDS "XX.XX" you know it to be an illegal copy. Doesn't matter what screws are in the shell. It's the "screws" they put to you that matter!

Reactions: vivalacoulter and Sandra
Buy cheap, buy twice is my opinion.

I couldn't be bothered with the hassle and risk of a fake causing a fault on the car, so I ordered the real deal through NHN :)

Reactions: NHN
Thanks Buddy, realky appreciate the words.