Is this usual???

M

MR G

Hi guys,

Just a quick query really! I've had my 06 140 2.0TDI S-Line for nearly 6 months and I have noticed two random things about it that I wondered if you guys could clear up for me.

The first is that on the drivers side of the vehicle in the foglamp grille area there is a backing plate (sort of a scoop shape) that stops anything from flying through into the engine bay. On the passenger side this appears to be missing. I pointed out when I collected the car that I've not seen any other A4's with this backing piece missing but my local dealer is adamant there should not be one on my car and that there is no part listed on their computer for my car.

When I queried it, by pointing to other identical cars on their forecourt they said it must be specific to my car/run/model. This seems a little odd to me...

Secondly, I have noticed when the car is warm the steering seems to make a groaning noise as you head for full lock. I heard a rhumor that this was a known fault on A4's and was a warranty issue?

The car is under Audi extended warranty until Nov this year, so I would like to try and get it sorted if possible.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Mike

22022009581-Copy.jpg

The first issue with the insert is correct. I have the same gap, I was told it's to aid cooling what ever is fitted behind the ducting. The second issue does sound like a visit the dealer is needed.

The vent is open on the passenger side as there is a small intercooler behind it, so this is normal, as mentioned.

The drowning sound on / or near full lock sounds like an alternator bearing. If you're covered under warranty you may be in luck. How many miles on your car and what year is it? Seems a bit premature if you're less than 100K miles though.

The power steering groan is a known fault. I have had a modified steering rack fitted to mine under warranty. Audi are well aware of this issue.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses! I feel bad for doubting the guys now :unsure:

It did kind of make sense, but just looked a bit unfinished :S I think I might have to get some fine stainless mesh powdercoated and make a curved black insert.

The groaning noise does seem to come from somewhere along the steering itself, it's kind of hard to explain though.

The car is an 06/06 car and has a shade under 59k on the clock but has Audi extended warranty until December. The laquer is starting to flake under the rear metal boot strip thing too :(

That said, I'm loving the car, hoping it will last me another four years without incident lol

Thanks again,

Mike