is this just not a good idea?

Tom_B

Reaction score
I dont have to commute 82 miles a day anymore and so have been thinking about selling the Passat (keepin the A4) and buying something a bit quicker, Avantish and getting back to quattro stylee.

I saw this on ebay Audi A6 Avant 2.7T auto 2002MY quattro Sport with LPG conversion

you will notice that it has 190k on it. Is it just rediculous to think about buying it? will both turbos go bang and the engine generally explode in a way that will mean financial ruin? How reliable is a LPG conversion?

please give objective guidance and don't hold back....

Its an auto, which instantly ruins such a car for me.

If you want something "fast" and want to enjoy driving it quickly, then it has to be a manual.

If your going to waft along in luxo-barge-comfort then fine, but at 190k your going to have to replace ALL the suspension on the car, every bush and balljoint will be completely shot. Hence as above, history is essential.

190k on the engine itself wouldnt bother me too much so long as its been serviced properly, but if still original, the turbos are bound to be on their last legs at that mileage. You could simply have them rebuilt, and its not that expensive, however the bulk of the cost is removing the engine to change them and most folk then take the opportunity to upgrade to something bigger.

Personally, if i wanted luxo-barge-comfort from a Petrol A6, i'd be buying the V8 version, and enjoying the RS6-style fat arches and V8 burble.

Reactions: jbh and Tom_B
Totally missed it was an auto, yeah that will make that car very bland, the 2.7 needs to be a manual

Reactions: Tom_B
I agree with Kev's advice, the belt driven v8 is a peach of an engine but i will hold for a s6 if you can stretch that far but look for the very rare manual gearboxes. Then you have everything: nice looks, fat arches, tidy interior and power/handling to match the looks !
Alternately buy a cheap v6 tdi quattro, fit a Sachs SRE clutch, throw a hybrid turbo, remap and large nozzles and presto: s6 power on a budget ! My a6 quattro is as fast as a b6 s4, i have them both and i enjoy driving the a6 more due to the torque !

Reactions: Tom_B