1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Is this definitely a quattro?

Genius Jul 28, 2018

1. Genius

Genius Registered User

Hi

Just looking at some A3 TFSI models and have a deal agreed in principle with a private seller... But then I was reading a few threads on here where people have bought quattro models and then later found out it was fwd! Whilst probably a very rare occurrence I guess reading it's just got me a little worried I might do the same.

The seller seems legit and has been helpful with any questions and the car does have the quattro logos on the grille and glovebox but as it is a private sale I want to be sure what I'm getting.

I got the vin and reg plate and did try looking at vin decoder websites I even read the my Audi app had a vin decoder so downloaded that but they literally just give me the year and the fact it's a 5 door A3 if there's a working vin decoder somewhere that would be great.

I did read that you can tell from the boot floor and I do have a pic of that.

[​IMG]

Any help is appreciated :)

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Genius

Genius Registered User

It's a 2009 sportback if that makes any difference?

4. Darren92

Darren92 Registered User

What’s the reg/vin?

Genius likes this.
  5. Genius

Genius Registered User

WAUZZZ8P59A115457

6. Darren92

Darren92 Registered User

Drive type 1X1 Four-wheel drive

definitely a quttro

Genius likes this.
  7. Genius

Genius Registered User

Awesome, thanks for your help!

8. ayfreetee

ayfreetee Registered User

You could always have a look under the back to see if there is a rear differential, it will be pretty obvious tbh.

9. Genius

Genius Registered User

Cheers but happy enough with the vin decode Darren provided, to be honest dont really know why I doubted, was a stupid fit of paranoia after reading a thread on here about someone getting stung.

Now I just have timing chain tensioner to worry me after reading it's a ccza engine :welcoming:

10. Darren92

Darren92 Registered User

The information I retrieved was from factory database so it’s 100% accurate ;)

11. ayfreetee

ayfreetee Registered User

Surely a quick look underneath would have saved some time though.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Genius

Genius Registered User

:icon thumright::icon thumright:

Will report back tomorrow after I emailed driven it... Hopefully as the new owner :D

Darren92 likes this.
  14. Genius

Genius Registered User

The car is 50 miles away so the vin decode actually meant I'm definitely going to see it, had it come back as a fwd would have saved me over 2 wasted hours as it stands I'm going to view it with the spec confirmed

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  15. fernando young

fernando young Registered User

which website have you used to decode that?

16. Daveyonthemove

Daveyonthemove Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

If you have OBD Eleven app it will also decode your VIN.

17. fernando young

is there a way you can check mine too? please? my PR codes sticker was removed from the boot when i got the car, and i lost my service book, which had the copy of the sticker :( so i dont really have the whole list, and you'd do me a huge favour!

WAUZZZ8P7CA066754

18. Darren92

Darren92 Registered User

Sure

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    fernando young and Sandra like this.
  19. fernando young

Thank you so much!! You’re the man!!

Sandra likes this.
  20. NevMan

NevMan Well known member

if you lift the boot floor and take a picture of the factory sticker, all the codes will detail what options the car came with from factory, and type them in here

Daveyonthemove likes this.
  21. Darren92

Darren92 Registered User

Some but not all

22. SootySport

SootySport Registered User

Maybe a Quattro but doesn’t mean it’s all working ok so check it all works. Hopefully the roads are wet where you’re going so floor the throttle to see if the Haldex coupling engages.

nluk100 likes this.
  23. ch1z64

ch1z64 C'mon you's bhoy's in Green Silver Supporter VCDS Map User

Totally agree with the member above . Just make sure it's a bone dry road

24. Genius

Genius Registered User

Bought the car over a week ago :whistle2:

Actually, the roads were wet, proper thunderstorms when I went over so got to test it out but having the Haldex oil done with the service this week just to be safe...

Unfortunately, as it was so wet there were quite a few little cosmetic issues that I didn't notice until it was dry

25. ch1z64

Quick tip get the car Scanned with a genuine Vcd's cable and get the mechanic to keep autoscan so you can have it , that way in future any problems you can compare scans or even better invest in one if your thinking off kerping car for a good while , it will work on all VAG cars

26. Genius

Genius Registered User

I did a scan last week with the Carista pro app and have that saved... maybe worth going for VCDS though as the wife has an ibiza too but I already done all the coding I want with Carista...

Anyone know if vcds shows more codes than carista? thought it was a full scan but could be wrong, also I did clear the codes already as they were related to door lock actuators which I had repaired

27. ch1z64

I am not as clued up on Carista so couldn't really say 100% but what i can say through some forum posts i have noticed its codes are not always found on the Ross-tech web site.
    Now the Vcd's can be expensive ( unlimited vins ) but you can get it as cheap as £225 for hex -v2 3vin worth given @NHN a PM ( if ur interested ) as he is a uk supplier .

28. Genius

Genius Registered User

Yeah maybe still worth buying... considering doing my own DSG oil change, watched a few videos and looks pretty easy but need to read the temps...

Anyone know if the VCDS light software can read oil temps as its free and I already have an OBD II USB cable the I used for my BMW

29. Daveyonthemove

OBD Eleven is a cheaper alternative to VCDS that does most of the same functions.
    Very useful tool and far more portable.

aqibi2000 likes this.
  30. Genius

Genius Registered User

I've already done some coding with Carista...

I have a bluetooth ELM (but know OBDeleven only supports their own version)

And also already have a USB OBDII cable (but know VCDS only support their own version)

Right now all I'm actually looking for functionally now is to real-time monitor the oil temps to DIY the DSG oil and filter change

31. Daveyonthemove

Use Torque, it should be able to do that if you don't want to get OBD Eleven (which can do that).

Genius likes this.
  32. Genius

Genius Registered User

Thanks will check. I paid for the Torque pro app ages ago but 3 years with BMWs rendered it basically useless hopefully it will do what I need

Daveyonthemove likes this.
  33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. timtnkov

timtnkov Registered User

try this carmotospecs.com/check-vin/?vin=WAUZZZ8P7CA066754