is this a write off?

If your worried about your wheel and axel been bent put your spear on and take it for a drive

good thinking turkster, theres a few avants in the local scrap yard i suppose i could pilfer!
david yes its my car at the moment untill the insurance decide whats what, still no phone calls yet gonna call them tomorrow!

got the phone call today form my insurance company, they offered straight away £2500 which i said was way too low then he came up to £3000 and i said i ideally wanted £3500 and he wouldnt budge,said the best he could do was £3175, ive told him i'll let him know tomorrow but looking around theres not much about at that price and the ones that are that price are the older sports without the gmbh kit.
im not sure whether to just take it as its not a million miles away from £3500 and it saves hassle of arguing with them but i dont understand how my insurance company is haggling with me, shouldnt they be speaking to the other persons insurance or is it a case that theyve had a pay out already then trying to give me as little as possible and make a profit for themselves?

no thats just a pay out, he reckons i couldnt buy it back as i have to contact the breakers who will take it and sort buying it back with them!

Sounds like your insurance company are after a quick fix for themselves!
You have every right to buy back the vehicle. And you can keep haggling if you want your £3500. Funny how it went from £2500 to £3000 to £3175 in one phone call! You've paid your premium for that policy and if I was you I would be fighting for every penny I could get back. Especially as now you will have to declare the claim on your next insurance premium.

The less your insurance pays out, the more for them. Plus they will sell your car on to a salvage yard and profit from that too!

When my old mans' boat sank, and it was surveyed he was told it was under insured in value. It was insured for 55K and the real value was 75K+. He was also told that he couldn't buy the salvage back due to health and safety reasons (weil's disease and other water borne diseases) as it was under water for nearly a week.

He argued with the insurance company and got full payment back on the boat (55K) plus Salvage recovery costs and floatation costs back. Then he got his solicitor involved and signed a declaration stating the boat would be fully disinfected prior to any work carried out. Insurance company agreed and he bought it back for 6K.

Moral is, it is worth fighting with the insurance companies. They only think on themselves. Not the customer.

cheers fella, im just not sure what its worth in the car market, looking on autotrader theyre so varied but the cheaper sports are the ones with no gmbh kit on, theres 2 04 plate's that are similar to mine with similar mileage 144k and theyre going for £3900 and £4000 but then theres others selling for £5k and others as little as £2k, i would have been happy with 3.5k and i know its only a few hundred off but just not sure if its worth fighting for as they have told me they can take the courtesy car away and i just want a car for the wife to tootle to school and the shops in!!

Just tell them no once more based on autotrader searches, might get you another few hundred.
Dave

id start stripping it out, let them give you the £3k and a bit and sod em, its the shell that's insured not the add ons, my mate did this once and they never said a thing, the car went will steel wheels, no body kit, no stereo, no seats or door cards, floor mats, front or rear bulbs and what ever else he could get off it.

lol wish i'd thought of that, to be honest i havent got a set of spare wheels but its got a brand new sport wheel as a spare with original tyre!, they called me this morning and asking if i thought about the deal and told him no, after telling him to go on autotrader and showing him the difference between early sports and my sport with gmbh kit he agreed and upped the offer to £3400,i agreed and its going into bank.
just got to find a decent avant again now but thinking about putting a few quid more and going for a b7 avant s line,seen a few with highish mileage but being an audi i know they can generally take it and still feel like a solid car.
its either than or look for a mint b6 sport ideally a quattro this time!

Reactions: S4_dan
lol its gone now pal unfortunately although ive still got an issue with the deal.
basically when i was arguing with him about price and we came to the agreed £3400, i hung up then emailed him my bank details to which i got a reply saying i will be getting £3400 minus £220 for excess which he never told me anything about, i called him and he said i should get it back once they have it confirmed that the other party has admitted liabilty in writing, theres no issue with them debating that as my car was parked at side at rd and i have witnesses but im just worried i wont see this £220 back!

update, got my car back!
bought a mk4 golf gti for the wife a few weeks ago while we was waiting for it to come up on auction at car transplants she was really missing it so i thought i'd pay up to £1200 for it as we know it and what it needs, was abit gutted that it was put as a cat c and need to get a vic check now for some reason and that doesnt even take into account the bodywork its a vin plate identity check apparantly, anyway i won it for £950 and paying for it monday, im just gonna plate the gouge for now so its safe enough for mot purposes if needed and the wife can drive it about untill i get it repaired properly.
im really chuffed and cant wait to get it back, the cat c doesnt bother me as we see ourselves keeping it for a good few more years yet and im sure i'd get £950 back for it even with the cat c hanging over it!

Reactions: DieselJake and H5NND

Got the car back this morning and set about just making a temp repair for vic check as the plan is to have the whole car done when it goes in body shop rather than just the quarter, not fantastic but no jagged edges etc so hopefully vosa man will be happy as it's got to have vic and mot test!

Have you sealed it so no water can get in

yeah just a line of silicone behind, to be honest though it goes straight out of bottom of bumper and im hoping a month or two then i can get a new quarter fitted with a full car respray!

new rear lights and late sport rear bumper fitted today!
BEFORE

AFTER

Reactions: DieselJake
Tbh I'm quite shocked how a bodyshop can get that to 4k plus, even using audatex

Even if you add a quarter, a wheel etc they have taken the ****,

Why don't you bond the panel on then a skim of filler and then paint it no one will ever tell

I know pal crazy isn't it, I don't understand why it was a cat c too I'd have thought it would be a cat d but maybe they go off price of repair as regards what category they class them?

I'm gonna throw it in body shop soon pal and let them do it properly but I want either the full car blowing over or just have the bits that need doing which are both rear quarters and front bumper mainly but depends if they'd get colour match the same with the old paint being a lot older!