Is this a speed camera?

Raiden

Reaction score
Last night coming home I decided to go the long way as there are roadworks everywhere near work. So this is a country lane with a few houses and not been down here in about a year. I think I was doing a 40mph maybe a bit more but at the last min I noticed this? I thought damn i'm gonna get down now. Looking online at speed cameras in the area there is no camera on this road and then pulling over and looking at it this morning to me it looks strange? And there looks to me another camera underneath it? Is it a security camera or am I busted? Just never seen or heard of one attached to a tree

Last edited by a moderator:
It certainly isn’t the bird house.

Dome underneath is probably cctv camera to peak what’s going on in the speed camera view field.

The Yellow box does look like camera but you are right, never saw one fitted from the tree.

Did it flash on you?

2 Weeks of cautious waiting for a mailman, huh?

Wait in there for some cars to pass by and see if anyone who doesn’t seen it yet will floor it. If it works, it should flash.
Unless, it’s not active yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No flash and this morning the car in front was going quick past it. But there is a 'speedcurb' camera not far from it that does work and I am sure it doesn't flash. Guess i'll wait and see but i'm on 9 points at the mo and 6 of them come off in July.

Looks like one of the residents has painted a bird box to try and slow folks down. Guessing there's no white lines on the road? IMO there's no way that's a speed camera.

Reactions: Tj 0785 and RS4B5
I’d guess is the local residents trying to slow traffic on the country lane with a make shift camera, doubt it works.

Reactions: Tj 0785
Oh ohh. You better be care full.
My points expired end of 2016 and cleared off DL end of last year.
If they give you or want to give you any points, it will total up to 12 anyway, as 3 for speeding will be minimum. In that case, you're done. 6 months ban at least. I know something about it.

Fingers crossed you'll be lucky and that camera didn't catch you with speeding, if that's it purpose.

As above being said, that is another option.
Doubt legal and fully operating speed trap would have cctv dome fitted underneath AND being mounted off the tree.
Do you know if anyone complained in the are about fast passing vehicles?

If it's a camera then that's damned sneaky!

Reactions: DieselJake and RS4B5
No White lines on the road no camera
Not necessarily. In my area is a camera which had lines on the tarmac before but they've changed the camera few months back and resurfaced tarmac. There is no lines on the floor and camera still flashes when speeding vehicle pass by. It is definitely speeding camera, as it is fitted after traffic lights.

Reactions: Tj 0785
Someone has just said to me is the tree in someone's garden which I am pretty sure it is. They said some residents record people speeding and then moan to the police who then do nothing.

You know what? Just by longer and detailed looking on the pictures you've attached, I am 99.9% positive it's a dummy.
Look at the thickness of that box. It is made of mdf boards and painted. Camera cut out looks like has no glass, only a lens and that tarp/cloth wrapped around the mounting arm is dodgy. The mounting arm also look like timber piece painted over.
Officials keep their gear clear of those thing and would never made it of "military grade" steel thick like that.

Again. It's hanging off the tree.

Got fooled myself. LOL

Reactions: Raiden
You know what? Just by longer and detailed looking on the pictures you've attached, I am 99.9% positive it's a dummy.
Look at the thickness of that box. It is made of mdf boards and painted. Camera cut out looks like has no glass, only a lens and that tarp/cloth wrapped around the mounting arm is dodgy. The mounting arm also look like timber piece painted over.
Officials keep their gear clear of those thing and would never made it of "military grade" steel thick like that.

Again. It's hanging off the tree.

Got fooled myself. LOL

I'll give him an A* for effort

Reactions: KrisKrk
Get a sledgehammer and find out what it is :icon thumright:

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Raiden, KrisKrk and 1 other person
Is that hanging off a tree?! ***!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Local authorities do not put speed camera's on trees.....that's just a someones idea of speed reduction.
As much as they are disliked , speed camera locations and placements are very strictly monitored and have to comply with very specific guidelines, fitting to a tree is never going to happen....

Reactions: Ghost and RS4B5
Local authorities do not put speed camera's on trees.....that's just a someones idea of speed reduction.
As much as they are disliked , speed camera locations and placements are very strictly monitored and have to comply with very specific guidelines, fitting to a tree is never going to happen....

Did you go past it on April 1st by any chance , if you did it would’ve only been active till midday

I like the answer Americans tend to give us "speed cameras!? why don't you just shoot them out"

I like the answer Americans tend to give us "speed cameras!? why don't you just shoot them out"

Hahaha! Yeah. That’s their answer for everything.
Rifles and shotguns in every home give them right to think they can shoot everything standing in their way.

Looks like it's made of wood to me

Hey @Raiden,
Seen it with my own eyes today

8f1597370bf45ecca2a61d0a44f31920.jpg

It is definitely a dummy.

Didn’t had much time to take a closer look but parked just behind the hedge and took a quick snap.

Sat nav I was driving on, displayed max speed limit 60 in there and guess people from these houses could not get out their drive ways quick enough. It is also on a slight road curve.
Good idea but whoever knows stuff about them cameras will spot dummy right away.

I am amazed, how 60 is allowed there.
Road is two and a half car width and have SLOW markings on.

Reactions: DieselJake
It is ridiculous some of the speed limits applied to roads especially narrow tracks out in the country. I have been down some roads where the national speed limit applies and a world rally car would have trouble doing 60mph, they are so narrow and twisty. Yet at other times you could be on a dual carriageway with a 40mph limit with no really obvious reason why it is 40mph.

Reactions: oli356, DieselJake and KrisKrk
LOL you saw it. I always thought it was 50 round there but 60 is ridiculous. The ridgeway which is only a couple miles from that fake camera a mate of mine killed himself on his motorbike doing stupid speeds. 10 years after he died they decided to have a speed camera up.

Reactions: KrisKrk
It is ridiculous some of the speed limits applied to roads especially narrow tracks out in the country. I have been down some roads where the national speed limit applies and a world rally car would have trouble doing 60mph, they are so narrow and twisty. Yet at other times you could be on a dual carriageway with a 40mph limit with no really obvious reason why it is 40mph.

Got that around here , 3 miles apart .

2018 05 30 162054

B Road with footpath and residential on right and a dual carriageway with barriers A road .

2018 05 30 162218

Daft as a brush .

As above, climb on top of that wall & **** it with a big stick !!:thumbs up:No way is that real.

Reactions: Raiden, DieselJake and KrisKrk

You do travel as per conditions and that's why people regularly get done for speeding on that 50 mph dual , one was 88 that I know of .

I vaguely remember someone telling me that if the road is NSL (like the one desertstorm posted the Google maps for ) then police have to do speed checks on them so many times a year or something? Which I suppose for many country roads is a waste of time.

I might be talking garbage but it kinda does make sense, but yeah I agree... but I think MOST people are smart enough not to drive 60 down those kind of roads... personally as I'm not used to them, I'd be going 2 mph ;)

Not necessarily. In my area is a camera which had lines on the tarmac before but they've changed the camera few months back and resurfaced tarmac. There is no lines on the floor and camera still flashes when speeding vehicle pass by. It is definitely speeding camera, as it is fitted after traffic lights.

They still flash without the camera inside them. You need the markings on the road to be able to prove speeding. So it there are no lines the camera's aren;t working.

Reactions: RS4B5
It's a camera, but who owns it is the question.
it’s not a speed camera it’s attached to a tree, on private land, where’s the power supply for it clipped to a tree? It’s just a sad little man in a small village trying to get people to slow down

Reactions: Raiden