Is there a way to make the wiper arms behave like most other cars?

doublem_1

Reaction score
I hate the way the wiper arms go down to the scuttle panel then back up a bit! When its raining they park way to far up the screen which looks gaaaay. I know the mk4 golf doesnt do this. Would love to have my wipers acting normally, I've had nothing but bad luck with them to be honest.

Sounds like yours are wrong mate. Mine park at the very bottom. It's just a case of removing the scuttle panel and adjusting how the arm sits on the motor.
Easy fix

I hate the way the wiper arms go down to the scuttle panel then back up a bit! When its raining they park way to far up the screen which looks gaaaay. I know the mk4 golf doesnt do this. Would love to have my wipers acting normally, I've had nothing but bad luck with them to be honest.

Don't have this on mine, suggest your linkages/motor (i'd start with linkages) are on the way out, Vauxhalls are known for their gammy wipers.. I changed some on a corsa that did a similar thing and also on my uncle's Astra

Sounds like yours are wrong mate. Mine park at the very bottom. It's just a case of removing the scuttle panel and adjusting how the arm sits on the motor.
Easy fix

I thought this, although surely they wouldn't bounce back if that were the only issue?

Mine did this, the previous owner had the linkage changed as it ceased (due to leaking washer jets) so he got another linkage and removed the existing motor and put the two together in rather a hurry, what he didnt do line the linkage up properly so everytime the motor was turned on it did a wipe then bounced back after it had completed its revolution ( know how annoying that can be!)

What you need to do is remove the linkage/motor from the car (scuttle off, wiper arms off etc) and if the centre bar is straight if not then it will need adjusting

After sorting mine i typically found this link which may offer some advice on how the linkage should look - VWVortex.com - DIY - Removing the windshield cowl and fixing noisy / squeaky wipers on a MKIV car

This is for a mk5 golf but the linkages are the same so far as i can tell.

Thanks guys! Very much appreciated. It take me a few attempts to get it right but it just isnt quite right. Hopefully, this will also fix another issue I'm having: about 50% of the time when the wipers are on intermittent, they wipe again a fraction of a second after stopping, sometimes it does this about 5 times between stopping. Doesnt matter what speed its on either. Hopefully adjusting it will fix my problems.

I really hope the photo in that link is in the correct position!

I thought this, although surely they wouldn't bounce back if that were the only issue?

Is the motor had slipped on the arm a bit, then yes, they would come back up a tad.

The wiper motor only goes in circles, it's the mechanism that creates the up/ down movement. By undoing the centre bolt and moving it on the spline you can even get the wipers to park vertically up the screen, I tested it when messing about with mine trying to do a single wiper that I gave up on.

Sp yea, just a small slip, or missalignment when fitted could see them going down then back up an inch or so to park

Thanks for all the help guys. Is it at all possible for someone to confirm the part number for what should be the correct linkage for my car? It's a 52 reg facelift A3 tdi quattro. The reason I ask is because I have a feeling mine has been replaced at some point with an incorrect part. It fits in fine, but there seems to be too much travel. When raining it meets the drivers side A pillar of the glass as normal, quite close in fact, then right down towards the scuttle almost touching it and back up about 6 inches or more.

It's nothing to do with too much travel. It's as I said above, just parking in the wrong place. To the a pillar then also to the scuttle is the correct range of movement. It just needs adjusting.

It's nothing to do with too much travel. It's as I said above, just parking in the wrong place. To the a pillar then also to the scuttle is the correct range of movement. It just needs adjusting.

Ah ok I see now. Because it sits higher up when they get moved closer to the scuttle they will be ok.I think it's going to take a few attempts to get it right. Sorry to be a pain!

Does anyone have a photot of the linkage and motor in the correct position? The one in the link is for a RHD car it looks like and just want to get mine right! :)

Mine did this, the previous owner had the linkage changed as it ceased (due to leaking washer jets) so he got another linkage and removed the existing motor and put the two together in rather a hurry, what he didnt do line the linkage up properly so everytime the motor was turned on it did a wipe then bounced back after it had completed its revolution ( know how annoying that can be!)

What you need to do is remove the linkage/motor from the car (scuttle off, wiper arms off etc) and if the centre bar is straight if not then it will need adjusting

After sorting mine i typically found this link which may offer some advice on how the linkage should look - VWVortex.com - DIY - Removing the windshield cowl and fixing noisy / squeaky wipers on a MKIV car

This is for a mk5 golf but the linkages are the same so far as i can tell.

Handy link! My wipers make some noise so might have to give this a go!

Just looked again and it does in fact show the right orientation. Is this the same for a RHD A3?

dude, just pull it apart and look at it.

You won't see it being wrong or right, it'll look the same.

it's an arm, 50mm long, on an M8 spindle with a spline. it's just a few splines off. nothing to see, it'll look no different when you're done.

Turn your wipers on, let them park on their own when you turn them off, they'll go down, then back up a tad as you described.

The motor is then at it's end point. Undo the centre bolt and price the arm off the spline, push your wipers down to where YOU want them to park, then push the arm back over the spline and do up the bolt.

there really are no more questions to be asked about setting them up, just have a go!

This bit, this is what you need to reset:

Wiper13.jpg

Do I have a faulty wiper motor? I bought one from GSF a few months ago and half the time when on intermittent they continue wiping... I have adjusted the linkage as per the guide and testing the motor on its own (no wiper arms attached) it works as I wanted it.

However!!!! When the wiper arms are attached it doesn't come back the original rest position, so when the next wipe comes, it goes down then up. As if the arms are causing resistance or not enough power in the motor. I'm trying this with just the ignition on. Don't know what to do :(

Does sound like either the motor is packing up, or the link arms are seizing up. I've not had it on the Audi, but previous car did this, got new wiper linkages and it kind f solved it. But would still park half way up the window. So got a new motor too and it was all good.

I think it's just when the linkages become stiffer the motor gets worn out. So unless you catch it early, your probably end having to replace both motor and linkages.

So looks like i need to replace motor and get a new linkage?

The weird thing is though, when the linkage is unbolted from the motor, it feels pretty free to me. Doesn't exactly feel stiff.

I still think the adjustment is wrong on the arm. if they're going down, then coming back up again, the motor is moving them up. Undo the nut and pop the arm off, push them down, do the nut up again, and i do not see how they could come back up again.

the motors only moves in complete circles. One wipe up and down is one circle. yours is just starting in the wrong place!

I still think the adjustment is wrong on the arm. if they're going down, then coming back up again, the motor is moving them up. Undo the nut and pop the arm off, push them down, do the nut up again, and i do not see how they could come back up again.

the motors only moves in complete circles. One wipe up and down is one circle. yours is just starting in the wrong place!

It was starting in the wrong place. I adjusted the arm to the correct postion so it does one complete rotation as it should be. But once the arms are attached and the wipers on the screen, it doesnt manage a complete rotation, stops dead about 4 inches above where it should. It is as if the resistance from the wipers on screen arent quite allowing a complete rotation. I may try and return the motor and see if thats the issue before trying a new linkage.