Is the right fuel filter!

You are correct it is an inline filter under the car. Its is under one of the plastic covers around the driver footwell area. The filter in the picture looks like the one you need just double check the engine variant. I'm not sure if it can be self bled but I had to use VCDS to prime the filter in mine when I changed it.

Reactions: glenandem
Yup, that is the correct part. It is located under the car, roughly in line with the drivers door on the drivers side, under a plastic cover. As above though, you MUST use VCDS to bleed the system properly after replacing the filter.

Failure to bleed the system with VCDS will result in failure of the HPFP as it gets run dry, and when that fails metal gets into every aspect of the fuel system and it requires replacement of all fuel lines, filters, injectors, new HPFP, etc, etc. The cost can be enough to write of a car!

So just be sure you have VCDS to bleed the system. Audi workshop manual to bleeding the system below, but obviously the steps will be a bit different in VCDS.

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a4...system_diesel_injection/bleeding_fuel_system/

A caution from the workshop manual....

Caution
  • If components of the fuel system between the fuel tank and the high-pressure fuel pump are removed or renewed, the basic setting "Checking fuel system pressurisation pump" must be performed to bleed the fuel system.

• If the supplementary fuel pump, fuel line (between fuel tank and high-pressure fuel pump) or fuel filter is removed or renewed, the basic setting "Checking fuel system pressurisation pump" must be performed before the engine is started for the first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: EXSpartan36
I've just replaced the fuel filter on my 2.0tdi B8.

You don't need to prime the system with VAGCOM. I just clamped the hoses on the inlet and outlet of the filter before removing it. I filled the new filter with fuel then refitted.

I inserted the key in and out 5 times just to prime the pump, just don't press the clutch and it won't start.

Car started same as usual no spluttering etc.

I spoke to a mechanic I know and they say they never prime after changing fuel filters and said they never have any problems.

Done about 2000 miles since and no trouble.

I did quite a bit of research before and no one I could find had any trouble when they didn't prime the system.

Reactions: glenandem
@jakm15 I'm sure Audi wouldn't say to prime it for no reason in their own service manual that in theory only they have access to, not the customer.

On the B7 it says there is no need to prime, it even says you don't need to bleed the system at all if it is run dry, but on the B8 it advises failure to prime will result in wear to the HPFP.

That wear might not cause immediate failure, but it will shorten the life span of the pump. By how much? No-one really knows