Is the rear windscreen on Avant frost resistant?

psychopomp1

Reaction score
Living in North Scotland, we had the first proper frost of the Winter overnight (temp fell to -3 overnight here in Inverness). When i went to drive my A4 Avant earlier this morning, the front windscreen was covered in a thick layer of frost (easily removed with a squirt of de-icing spray though), however the rear windscreen was totally ice free. Not that I'm complaining but how on earth can this be? Unless the rear glass is somehow ice/frost resistant? If it helps, the rear is black tinted glass (oem).

Oh and the front heated seats are a godsend in this weather :playful:

I’m in Aberdeen so had similar weather. Mine is frosted over and was yesterday morning as well. I do find it depends how the car is parked though, you might find if you parked it the opposite way round the front would be clear and the rear frozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WesT-gefül, Spaceman_RS3 and psychopomp1
I’m in Aberdeen so had similar weather. Mine is frosted over and was yesterday morning as well. I do find it depends how the car is parked though, you might find if you parked it the opposite way round the front would be clear and the rear frozen.

..............i would say the same, must be how it was parked.

Reactions: psychopomp1 and Daggerit
Thanks fellas, I'll park the car the other way round overnight and see what effect this has.

Reactions: RS3 S. and Daggerit
Get yourself some Angelwax H2go the windows don’t freeze up anywhere near as bad.

Sometimes, when both myself and partner go to work in the mornings, my windscreen can be clear and her's iced over, she has a quick clear heated one though.
Many factors can contribute to this, wind direction, humility etc. Remember that if the wind is blowing from the rear of your car it can create a low pressure over the front screen which will then make it colder. The same as blowing across a wet finger, try it...

Reactions: Smileysam
I have the heated rear seats as well kids love it

she has a quick clear heated one though..
I really miss that. I don't know why only certain manufacturers provide it...probably a patent restriction or something like that.
Many factors can contribute to this, wind direction, humility etc. Remember that if the wind is blowing from the rear of your car it can create a low pressure over the front screen which will then make it colder. The same as blowing across a wet finger, try it...
I was just about to say exactly that. I've found the prevailing wind can make a big difference.

I found with a heated front screen (Focus and Evoque) once my eyes had seen the heating elements in the glass I couldn't 'un see' them, a permanently annoying distraction.

I really miss that. I don't know why only certain manufacturers provide it...probably a patent restriction or something like that.

I was just about to say exactly that. I've found the prevailing wind can make a big difference.
Exactly that it was ford group had the patent but I believe that coes to amend soon or recently has ended

A heated screen was listed on the B9 when it first came out as a £400 option. I spec'd it at the time but they never put it into production. The VAG version has a clear membrane between the two laminates.
Neither my partner, or myself, are bothered by the elements in the Ford version. But yes when my partner drives off after 30 secs and I am still sat there waiting for my screen to de-ice I miss it too..

Reactions: cosmicblue
We have overcome that de-icing issue...the cars live in the garage...which actually has a radiator, more intended to keep the moisture levels down in there.

Here in Warwick, many houses have double garages around where we live - people seem to store c**p in the garage and scrape the ice off the windows through the winter - just seems weird to me.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
We have overcome that de-icing issue...the cars live in the garage...which actually has a radiator, more intended to keep the moisture levels down in there.

Here in Warwick, many houses have double garages around where we live - people seem to store c**p in the garage and scrape the ice off the windows through the winter - just seems weird to me.
Quite, I wish I had the luxury of a garage but would never get planning permission to build one. The next house though I plan to have a double garage with heating, ph neutral water, power, electric lift and tiled...

Sometimes, when both myself and partner go to work in the mornings, my windscreen can be clear and her's iced over, she has a quick clear heated one though.

;-)

Oops ****** spell checker...LOL
Not much humility when I go out in the mornings...

Reactions: desertstorm and cosmicblue
Frost resistant glass lol, that's up there with tartan paint

Reactions: Daggerit
We have a double garage, but it was built in 1971 when cars were narrower. My A4 only just fits but you can’t open the doors, wife’s A3 is much the same, so both cars sit out in all weathers. We also have a 2012 Seat Ibiza for our sons’ use and it fits OK but you have to be almost a contortionist to get out of the car once it’s garaged. The other redundant garage contains my bikes, my workshop and all the usual stuff that has no place in the house.

Flatten it build a proper one? Soon as my kids are old enough tam converting the double garage back to just that. Currently one half is a room. The s4 Avant fits in the single that’s left not a lot of room tho. Next door garages his a7 not that is tight has to fold the mirrors to get in

No chance. The garage is semi-integral so one side is an internal wall of the house, the other is a narrow path down the side of the house. To enlarge the garage would mean no side access and an overall gain in width of 2’6” at God knows what expense. Very few people in the road use their garage and those who do have smaller cars.

What is the actual size of the garage bud? I thought mine was narrow at 2.55m wide 5.55m long.