1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the rear windscreen on Avant frost resistant?

psychopomp1 Dec 5, 2018 at 11:59 AM

1. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 Active Member

Living in North Scotland, we had the first proper frost of the Winter overnight (temp fell to -3 overnight here in Inverness). When i went to drive my A4 Avant earlier this morning, the front windscreen was covered in a thick layer of frost (easily removed with a squirt of de-icing spray though), however the rear windscreen was totally ice free. Not that I'm complaining but how on earth can this be? Unless the rear glass is somehow ice/frost resistant? If it helps, the rear is black tinted glass (oem).

Oh and the front heated seats are a godsend in this weather :playful:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Daggerit

Daggerit Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

I’m in Aberdeen so had similar weather. Mine is frosted over and was yesterday morning as well. I do find it depends how the car is parked though, you might find if you parked it the opposite way round the front would be clear and the rear frozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member

..............i would say the same, must be how it was parked.

psychopomp1 and Daggerit like this.
  5. psychopomp1

Thanks fellas, I'll park the car the other way round overnight and see what effect this has.

RS3 S. and Daggerit like this.
  6. Chris Walton

Chris Walton Active Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Black Edition S-line owners group

Get yourself some Angelwax H2go the windows don’t freeze up anywhere near as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Sometimes, when both myself and partner go to work in the mornings, my windscreen can be clear and her's iced over, she has a quick clear heated one though.
    Many factors can contribute to this, wind direction, humility etc. Remember that if the wind is blowing from the rear of your car it can create a low pressure over the front screen which will then make it colder. The same as blowing across a wet finger, try it...

Smileysam likes this.
  8. JRF

JRF Member

I have the heated rear seats as well kids love it

9. DotNetDude

DotNetDude Member TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

I really miss that. I don't know why only certain manufacturers provide it...probably a patent restriction or something like that.
    I was just about to say exactly that. I've found the prevailing wind can make a big difference.

10. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Active Member TeamMisano Audi RS4

I found with a heated front screen (Focus and Evoque) once my eyes had seen the heating elements in the glass I couldn't 'un see' them, a permanently annoying distraction.

11. Spaceman_RS3

Spaceman_RS3 Well-Known Member Team Ibis Team Panther Audi S4 Audi RS3 Audi Avant Owner Group

Exactly that it was ford group had the patent but I believe that coes to amend soon or recently has ended

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. cuke2u

A heated screen was listed on the B9 when it first came out as a £400 option. I spec'd it at the time but they never put it into production. The VAG version has a clear membrane between the two laminates.
    Neither my partner, or myself, are bothered by the elements in the Ford version. But yes when my partner drives off after 30 secs and I am still sat there waiting for my screen to de-ice I miss it too..

cosmicblue likes this.
  14. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Active Member TeamMisano Audi RS4

We have overcome that de-icing issue...the cars live in the garage...which actually has a radiator, more intended to keep the moisture levels down in there.

Here in Warwick, many houses have double garages around where we live - people seem to store c**p in the garage and scrape the ice off the windows through the winter - just seems weird to me.

Spaceman_RS3 likes this.
  15. cuke2u

Quite, I wish I had the luxury of a garage but would never get planning permission to build one. The next house though I plan to have a double garage with heating, ph neutral water, power, electric lift and tiled...

16. SMI77

SMI77 Australia Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

;-)

17. cuke2u

Oops bloody spell checker...LOL
    Not much humility when I go out in the mornings...

desertstorm and cosmicblue like this.
  18. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Active Member

Frost resistant glass lol, that's up there with tartan paint

19. cuke2u

20. SMI77

SMI77 Australia Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

...and???

21. Daggerit

Daggerit Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Although, having gone though the patent process a few times now I can tell you that just because people make claims in them it doesn't always mean that something will work in reality. Haha.

22. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User TDi Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

23. cuke2u

Daggerit likes this.
  24. psychopomp1

Haven't had any more frosty nights since then.

Been quite 'warm' overnight for Inverness lately, around 3-5c lol

Daggerit likes this.
  25. wideboybloke

wideboybloke Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver TFSI Owners Group Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

We have a double garage, but it was built in 1971 when cars were narrower. My A4 only just fits but you can’t open the doors, wife’s A3 is much the same, so both cars sit out in all weathers. We also have a 2012 Seat Ibiza for our sons’ use and it fits OK but you have to be almost a contortionist to get out of the car once it’s garaged. The other redundant garage contains my bikes, my workshop and all the usual stuff that has no place in the house.

26. Spaceman_RS3

Spaceman_RS3 Well-Known Member Team Ibis Team Panther Audi S4 Audi RS3 Audi Avant Owner Group

Flatten it build a proper one? Soon as my kids are old enough tam converting the double garage back to just that. Currently one half is a room. The s4 Avant fits in the single that’s left not a lot of room tho. Next door garages his a7 not that is tight has to fold the mirrors to get in