Is the PFL dated?

Tempz

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve been meaning to buy an 8V for quite a while now. I was after a saloon with the 1.8 TFSI engine but seeing as they are so rare (and often have low spec) I’ve turned my attention to the Sportback.

I know the 1.8 isn’t available in the facelift but my budget is around £13k and the early facelift 1.4 TFSI are coming into that price zone.

I actually prefer the less angular design of the PFL but at the same time I’m thinking maybe it’s starting to become dated somewhat? What do people think?

Reactions: N.J.H
Hi all, I’ve been meaning to buy an 8V for quite a while now. I was after a saloon with the 1.8 TFSI engine but seeing as they are so rare (and often have low spec) I’ve turned my attention to the Sportback.

I know the 1.8 isn’t available in the facelift but my budget is around £13k and the early facelift 1.4 TFSI are coming into that price zone.

I actually prefer the less angular design of the PFL but at the same time I’m thinking maybe it’s starting to become dated somewhat? What do people think?

It really depends on your priority.

Exterior wise, I think the PFL still looks very elegant. It has a less controversial design vs. the FL cars (angular smiley face that looks very sharp at certain angle, but somewhat weird in some others). However, it is definitely not as modern given the new model is now out.

Interior wise, it depends if you care for virtual cockpit. If you do, then it is definitely dated. If you don't, I would argue that it has the best interior among PFL, FL, and new model. Why? It is an interior prior to stupid cost cutting.

The FL cars don't have telescoping vents nor seatbelt buckle height sliding limiter anymore. Also, the S-line and S steering wheels of the FL cars are thinner than the PFL cars (another stupid cost-cutting step).

Reactions: Tempz and Audicfc

i’ll sell you my 2014 1.8 sline 3 door daytona grey 36k miles on it for 11k, im sure the 2k youve saved could get you extra doors or a trailer from somewhere for the extra space you need

the 1.8 only has the advantage over the 1.4 once you hit 60 then the 1.8 will just keep pulling up the revs,

ive went to over take a new astra turbo diesel which tried to speed up and i couldnt pull away till we both hit about 60 then the astra has no chance with the diesel engine, same goes for the mk6 golf gtd i had a little head to head with the other day, i couldnt pull away till i hit a bit higher speeds again but once i got there i still had another 3 gears to go and felt i could go faster if i really wanted to an overtook the golf gtd mk6, if it was an mk7 gtd i dont think i could have overtook it it would probs have been level at best

so if you dont plan on doing over 60 much or revving 2nd gear till 60 then you wont feel much of the power in daily driving and the 1.4 150 would be good enough if you can get one in a saloon

Reactions: Tempz
I prefer the PFL version looks-wise. Definitely get one with xenon headlights and try to find one with the full Tech Pack which gives you a lot more toys to play with. The 1.4 engine is OK in 148 bhp flavour as long as you don't want to play boy racer with it. It's a bit gutless above 50 mph or so. If someone wants to overtake you, you ain't gonna be stopping them!

Reactions: Tempz and Audicfc

Exterior wise, I think the PFL still looks very elegant. It has a less controversial design vs. the FL cars (angular smiley face that looks very sharp at certain angle, but somewhat weird in some others). However, it is definitely not as modern given the new model is now out.

Interior wise, it depends if you care for virtual cockpit. If you do, then it is definitely dated. If you don't, I would argue that it has the best interior among PFL, FL, and new model. Why? It is an interior prior to stupid cost cutting.

The FL cars don't have telescoping vents nor seatbelt buckle height sliding limiter anymore. Also, the S-line and S steering wheels of the FL cars are thinner than the PFL cars (another stupid cost-cutting step).

I didn’t know they introduced cost cutting steps. Are there any more you know of? Also I’m a fan of traditional dials so VC isn’t to my liking. But what about the PFL Nav compared to the FL? And is there any way you can retrofit Carplay on PFL? Cheers

i’ll sell you my 2014 1.8 sline 3 door daytona grey 36k miles on it for 11k, im sure the 2k youve saved could get you extra doors or a trailer from somewhere for the extra space you need

the 1.8 only has the advantage over the 1.4 once you hit 60 then the 1.8 will just keep pulling up the revs,

ive went to over take a new astra turbo diesel which tried to speed up and i couldnt pull away till we both hit about 60 then the astra has no chance with the diesel engine, same goes for the mk6 golf gtd i had a little head to head with the other day, i couldnt pull away till i hit a bit higher speeds again but once i got there i still had another 3 gears to go and felt i could go faster if i really wanted to an overtook the golf gtd mk6, if it was an mk7 gtd i dont think i could have overtook it it would probs have been level at best

so if you dont plan on doing over 60 much or revving 2nd gear till 60 then you wont feel much of the power in daily driving and the 1.4 150 would be good enough if you can get one in a saloon

Now that is tempting! But I’m after a Sportback. Thanks for the offer though mate.

Steering wheel on the facelift car is thinner to allow for the design of the virtual cockpit as was shrinking the size of the centre airbag cush....and not for a cost cutting exercise....the new A3's steering wheel is the exact same ie thin except for shape of the airbag cush....

Besides l still think the pfl saloon still looks extremely elegant....where the sportback doesn't but again its subjective

The Facelift A3 saloon hasn't aged at all

Reactions: pburv
Just ditch the original steering wheel in favour of an ultimate customs wheel upgrade. Looks and feels awsome. Completely changes the cockpit.
20200507 132028 copy 3024x1470

Reactions: Ron240 and N.J.H
I have a pre facelift S3 saloon and other than maybe the steering wheel and front xenon lights, I think it holds up well. But I do have tech pack with the larger screen and 3d buildings.

PFL definitely still holds its ground, it looks as current as any other new car really. I still love mine just as much as I did when I bought it new.

Reactions: pburv, Tempz and N.J.H
I didn’t know they introduced cost cutting steps. Are there any more you know of? Also I’m a fan of traditional dials so VC isn’t to my liking. But what about the PFL Nav compared to the FL? And is there any way you can retrofit Carplay on PFL? Cheers

One more key item that I forgot to mention in terms of stepback. If you get a car with Audi Sound System, you can actually adjust the subwoofer in the PFL cars but not the FL cars. The FL Audi Sound System sounds horrible compared to the PFL Audi Sound System. It is as if there is a software bug that makes the subwoofer setting to be at minimum. There are a few threads on that.

The FL MMI system should be faster as it is MIB2 instead of MIB1-based. I wouldn't risk retrofitting FL stuff to PFL.

Overally, I would say there are pros and cons. Again, it depends on your priority.

Reactions: Tempz
Just ditch the original steering wheel in favour of an ultimate customs wheel upgrade. Looks and feels awsome. Completely changes the cockpit.
I really like that and agree it would significantly change the cockpit. :sunglasses:
Then I looked up the price. :flushed:

Reactions: Bryant1998 and Leevr
The PFL looks dated against the FL much like the FL will look dated against the new A3 when it starts hitting the road. That’s the way it is, progression of styles.... The VC helps keep things modern but the dated MMI and screen looks ancient. Also, it’s all subjective. If you have come from and 8P then the A3 will feel a step up. If you get out of a new A-class then the A3 8V seems a gen behind.

The PFL looks dated against the FL much like the FL will look dated against the new A3 when it starts hitting the road. That’s the way it is, progression of styles.... The VC helps keep things modern but the dated MMI and screen looks ancient. Also, it’s all subjective. If you have come from and 8P then the A3 will feel a step up. If you get out of a new A-class then the A3 8V seems a gen behind.

Stick too stocks and Shares.....

I agree. Had my 8P over 3 years definitely feels old. But even PFL 8V feels an upgrade.

Did I say something wrong?

No not really it's Just that l disagree with you on the point of the Face lift car and this new gen A3....especially with the saloon....Sport back was a easier act to follow but not with the Saloon.....Audi have just replaced the hatch with a boot,l have scrutinised this new gen A3 saloon over the last month and it offers no significant increase of an improvement over the face lift saloon car to justify the extra cost, they've just been lethargic with its design...l could go on

But l am going off topic the leap between the PFL car and the Face lifted car was significant..as l have owned both

No not really it's Just that l disagree with you on the point of the Face lift car and this new gen A3....especially with the saloon....Sport back was a easier act to follow but not with the Saloon.....Audi have just replaced the hatch with a boot,l have scrutinised this new gen A3 saloon over the last month and it offers no significant increase of an improvement over the face lift saloon car to justify the extra cost, they've just been lethargic with its design...l could go on

But l am going off topic the leap between the PFL car and the Face lifted car was significant..as l have owned both

Considering that neither of us have driven it then both our opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt. But one thing that should be said is that since the start of the A3 it’s always progressed positively, so theoretically the new A3 should be better.
Anyway, just my opinion...

I'd say if you're not into VC then seriously consider PFL, especially for that budget. By the way, Audi Sound System can be retrofitted, I did it (via @DJAlix), it's very affordable and adds the sub (on PFL you can adjust it) and a centre dash speaker. Whilst MIB might be a bit dated, it does what you need. I don't have nav so can't comment on it, I have a wireless charger phone holder with Waze which works for me.

Reactions: N.J.H
I'd say if you're not into VC then seriously consider PFL, especially for that budget. By the way, Audi Sound System can be retrofitted, I did it (via @DJAlix), it's very affordable and adds the sub (on PFL you can adjust it) and a centre dash speaker. Whilst MIB might be a bit dated, it does what you need. I don't have nav so can't comment on it, I have a wireless charger phone holder with Waze which works for me.

I agree with HertS3. With that budget and the fact that you don't really prefer VC, I would definitely go for PFL. Depending on your budget and car availability, I would recommend an S-line 1.8TFSI Quattro with the Audi Sound System.

Reactions: Joxh and N.J.H
Considering that neither of us have driven it then both our opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt. But one thing that should be said is that since the start of the A3 it’s always progressed positively, so theoretically the new A3 should be better.
Anyway, just my opinion...

Autocar's conclusion...

Regardless which engine you go for, the A3’s core strengths are its exterior design, a significantly improved interior and a more polished driving experience than before. It bodes well for the model line as it expands to sportier S3 models and beyond.

Reactions: Ormesome