Is the A6 Avant too low?

Ink Digit

Reaction score
I'm fairly tall (6' 2") and am struggling with headroom in a 2007 A6 Avant. I have to slouch to make sure my head's not hitting the ceiling, and even then I can't see as much through the windscreen as I'd like to.

I'm also finding that something under the car is scraping when the road is uneven. Speed bumps I can slow down for, but when the tarmac is bad or bumpy, I can't do much about it. I don't have the car particularly low-slung or anything, but any bobble in road surface makes something underneath crunch.

Has anyone else had these problems?

Never scraped my A6 on the standard sline suspension, have you got a picture of how low your car is?

I am 6'6" and i have loads of head and leg room. The C6 is probably the most spacious car I have driven with my height.

Steve

Same here. I'm 6'6 and still have room above my head.
My Avant is that low but have no issues to pass by speed bumps

Sent from H P20 PRO

I'm fairly tall (6' 2") and am struggling with headroom in a 2007 A6 Avant. I have to slouch to make sure my head's not hitting the ceiling, and even then I can't see as much through the windscreen as I'd like to.

I'm also finding that something under the car is scraping when the road is uneven. Speed bumps I can slow down for, but when the tarmac is bad or bumpy, I can't do much about it. I don't have the car particularly low-slung or anything, but any bobble in road surface makes something underneath crunch.

Has anyone else had these problems?

You must have some kind of serious problem if your car is grounding out over any lump in the regular highway.

https://autoportal.com/newcars/audi/a6/feature/ground-clearance.html

Last edited:
@B5NUT I've uploaded a couple of pictures here

@Richard46 it's not every bump. I drove home today (90 mins) with windows open so I could listen, and it's rare, but it happens at times that I wouldn't expect. Over those 90 mins I heard it 3 times.

My A6 Avant did that 2005 S-line the rear springs had broken/rotted at the bottom Mot issue. I replaced all the springs and all shocks at the same time. Drove so much better and ride smoother as shocks were on way out.
About £400 from eBay Germany but a basted to fit the front and back not that easy.
Do you remember this B5Nut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to say the rear looks too low to me, so either you have a broken spring or someone has been playing around and lowered the car.

Last edited:
Have to say the rear looks too low to me, so either you have a broken spring or someone has been playing around and lowered the car.

Oh really? Thanks for taking a look. I'll ask the garage to check.

Hmmm.
In that case mine is also f...'d at the back.
9bd99a527b61d45145c20ef8affc3313.jpg

Sent from H P20 PRO

Don't really have too many side on pictures of my car but this is was my A6 after the suspension was rebuilt.
Upload 2019 4 24 7 40 49

Upload 2019 4 24 7 41 57

Excuse the wet sanding marks...
Upload 2019 4 24 7 42 52

On the rear of the OP's car bet would would struggle to get a fingers width between the top of tyre and arch
Upload 2019 4 24 7 46 31

I have the same issue is intermittently bottoming out on the rear passenger side (left hand drive). My car is lowered on H&R springs with 19 in wheels and somehow, just on that side, the car sits a tad lower and toward the lip of the fender....considering moving to coil overs to resolve.

I too am 6’6” and have more than enough room inside. Mine is lowered on coilovers. You can’t get your fingers between the wheel and arch yet I have no issues whatsoever. I used to, because the rear subframe wasn’t central. It’s adjustable and may need centring

Another 6’6” here too, there seems a lot of us :yes: loads of room in the cabin though, same as my C5’s really, my C5’s had both SE and sport suspension and where more forgiving and higher than the S-Line suspension on the C6.

I don’t catch bumps as such but it’s definitely closer to the ground than the C5’s.