Is the 8P s3 worth the money?

One thats a couple of years old and around 20k and high spec I reckon its a lot of car for the money. I'd have one in a heartbeat if I had 20k. Although, I can imagine they're not as, engaging or as raw feeling as an 8l, as most very modern cars feel, too electronic and assisted.

For me Jase, it depends on what you want from the car? I think the 8L S3 is the better looking machine, but unfortunately, it requires a shed load of cash to get it to handle due to it's mk4 chassis origins, but you've already done that to yours, and tuning is mega money if you want to reach 300 horses+.

8P S3 is just so understated, S-Line versions could be passed off as an S3 with a set of wheels bolted on! But 300+bhp from just a stage1 map, and a chassis that could handle the power out the box, and If I was to buy one, it has to have the bucket seat option, just because they look so awesome!

Are they worth the money though? I reckon as a used buy, most definitely, but as a new car on the road, it's a heck of a lot of money for a hatchback isn't it?

Id say yes.

My dads lookig at them at the minute. We were looking at 57 plates earlier with around 30 to 40k on the clock, flat bottom wheel, buckets etc and they were around 14/15k, which for the money i think is very much a steal.

If i had the money id be getting one.

As said though, the 8l s3's are very good looking and have the old skool raw feel that i just love :).

^agree 100% with jo
As great as the 8l is, it drains your money with wear and tear and to get it to a good tune. With an 8p, its so much more tunable and little wear and tear expenses.

Ive have an 8l aswell tho, of course :)

Last edited:
As it stands I dont think il be upgrading to an 8p s3... I feel I may have to get a 'more grown up car'. I may feel different if I drive one though

they sure are ,but if i woud have that kinda money and planing to change/get rid of my 8L ,I woud rather go buy the A5/S5 sportback

Think is depends what you want from a car. Ive driven a couple of 8P S3 and think they are nice cars. I think they feel similar to ours but more modern in areas but performance is the same I would say (standard v standard). Ive played with quite a few and ive alway been neck and neck or pulled on it slightly.

Even though its defiantly and upgrade to ours (except for the looks IMO, looks to similar to S line models) I dont think they are 15-16k a better car than ours if you want a nice spec ed facelift model.

If your looking for a higher mileage pre facelift which is probably around 10-12k more than ours, It wont be long till that needs a major service and wear and tear problems being to crop up often and then your probably in the same situation as use guys, going through the car replacing tired parts.

Last edited:
Albeit its in a different league in terms of running the cars you could have instead of an 8P

RS4 B5
RS4 B7
C5 RS6

So not worth the money, give it a 12-18 months when the new A3 is out.

No mate, they really aren't IMO.

My old boss traded in his RS4 for an S3 and hated every second of it. I drove his S3 in anger and tbh it didn't feel any quicker than our A3, the interior was naff and generally they're an ugly hairdressers car. It didn't feel great in the corners or composed at all, it felt washy and vague. Almost as though it was more badge marketing where as the 8L was a totally different animal to the A3.

His car was DSG mind you, which believe it or not stands for "doesn't shift gears".

well obviously i'm biased :)

I think having lived with one for a few months its definitely worth the upgrade, mind you the 2k i've lost since feb is annoying me some what!! complete no bull**** assessment, out of the box it sounds nicer (nice little exhaust pop in low mid gears due to a valve in the back box)...pace wise my 8L mapped could only just keep with a standard 8P, mine being mapped will now keep with the younger scoobies much easier where as my 8L would struggle depending on the scenario presented. The interior is what you'd expect from an upmarket car I think and beats most of its competitors (1 series mainly!!) - it feels a lot more planted than the 8L, corners better (weird considering its heavier!!) and the brakes are amazing!! If I was to buy again I'd defo go with more spec as this differentiates it from the A3 more and more (and the 8L) - disappointments are no lumbar as standard, no electric seats!! but then if you get a facelift the DIS is white which looks awesome! (and it comes with daft toys like DIS lap timers ;) pointless and never used but cooool!) and the comparisons with the S-line models is defo there, but I like that.... that said, nobody plays anymore :( which I gather isn't because it looks like an S-line! so people must realise.

Dunno if this is a sign but I've never looked back since buying this, I love every second of it and never get bored of the standard exhaust note, the pace, the quality....it's just a ****** nice car and i'll struggle to find something i'll enjoy anywhere near as equally.

I know most will have their opinions, this is mine - I don't expect everyone to agree ;)

:p Aww stop hating:nyah:

If i had the sort of money to buy a brand new S3. I'd probably buy a used RS4 B7 instead:wub: I'd buy one used of course as im liking the price drop on the pre facelift S3s now.

I quite like the plastic interior. Think its a special place to be :wub:
DSC03287.jpg

DSC03284.jpg

A3 but same style as the S3
DSC09216.jpg

DSC09264.jpg

My old boss traded in his RS4 for an S3 and hated every second of it.
And so he ****** should of,going from an RS4 to an S3 :scared2: they are totally different cars.

The thing I don't like about the 8P S3 is that they look like an A3,the 8L version was made when Audi was less of a sell out imho.

Reactions: Solly
And so he ****** should of,going from an RS4 to an S3 :scared2: they are totally different cars.

The thing I don't like about the 8P S3 is that they look like an A3,the 8L version was made when Audi was less of a sell out imho.

Agree with this. At AITP I walked past a few 8P S3's without even realizing what they were. They look too bland and similar to the S-line. At the least the 8L was different. You could easily make an 8P 2.0T look exactly the same as an S3, but it would be more difficult with an 8L

Could get a mk5 R32 similar age and mileage for alot less money!

Could get a mk5 R32 similar age and mileage for alot less money!

Or could just get an A3 S-line 3.2 for alot less!! lol.

Edit: Love MK5 R32:wub: Was tempted to swap my A3 for one not long ago. But the only thing that puts me off mega dolla to tune either supercharger or turbo route! And i'd still want my A3 lol

Last edited:
I never get this debate, the only thing the 3.2 has going for it is the noise.... its slower than the 8L standard i beleive :)

ummm yup on the RS4 front, I'd love one personally but the one factor most are forgetting is running costs, compare with an S3 and your looking silly money... i challenge anyone to go price up some 'standard' front RS4 discs and pads versus an S3, then compare mpg, then compare service costs.... parts likely to go wrong....then come on this post and say 'yup if i had 20k i'd buy an RS4'

same goes for an RS6, gearboxes prone to going apparently and your looking at the engine out to replace the box! something like 30 hours labour, sure you can work out how many thousands you'll need tucked away, not to mention the suspension issues - super car = super car running costs. Not saying it won't be worth it, but if you have 20k in ya back pocket then you can't afford one despite the purchase price!

If It was me I would buy a mint E46 M3 for around 13-14k and buy a 1.9TDI MK4 golf as a run around and still have loads of change out of 20k on a facelift 8P S3. Would use the change for some nice mods or keep it for general maintenance.

If It was me I would buy a mint E46 M3 for around 13-14k and buy a 1.9TDI MK4 golf as a run around and still have loads of change out of 20k on a facelift 8P S3. Would use the change for some nice mods or keep it for general maintenance.

Sounds like an ideal scenario, but running 2 cars means you have to factor in running costs, 2xservicing, 2 insurance policies and 2 lots of roadtax. It all soon adds up, I should know, I run a few cars myself.

Sounds like an ideal scenario, but running 2 cars means you have to factor in running costs, 2xservicing, 2 insurance policies and 2 lots of roadtax. It all soon adds up, I should know, I run a few cars myself.

Ye I see what your saying jojo. You would still have a good amount of spare cash to keep for maintenance which is what I would do. 13k on a M3, 2k on a MK4 TDI and 5K for maintenance is well enough.

You can get good multi car policies so insurance wouldn't be mad. I wouldn't pay to service the TDI, I would just change the oil, glow plugs, filter etc myself yearly (not having full service history aint going to be a deal breaking when you come to sell it) and they are really strong engines anyway so I dont think they would need that much maintenance and road tax is cheap. Running a MK4 TDI as a second car I think would be pretty cheap so more money for the M3.

You ran 2 expensive money pits jojo lol.

Last edited:
only problem i see with that is M3 or no M3, your not gonna get into a new generation car, therefore the technology etc will be a decade old... all depends what you want from your car. I personally want a nice car to drive around in, a car that has pace, looks, quality and lots of nice toys!!

We are never going to agree cos we all want different things, safe to say though I wouldnt be happy with a tin pot golf diesel as my daily driver for my 10 miles to work, thats one of the reasons I enjoy going to work, and why i look forward to the drive home! Not everyone elses bag but hey, we aren't all the same ;)

Good call from Jojo though, multi car policy or not, running two cars, tax, insurance, general maintainence.... your on a hiding to nothing and you have two cars which are both a decade old.... plus side is most of the depreciation has hit already, but like i say.... depends what you want.

As a package for 20k, your Golf and M3 simply will not provide you with anything special or close to being upto date - FACT, therefore for me that would be 20k wasted

It wasnt long ago you was driving a car with a decade old technology and their are so many members on here which are still happy to do so. 8P S3 isn't far of 7 year old technology now isi. I personally think a older car such as a M3 is a lot better car than a 8P S3 and would so rather drive and own a M3 than a 8P S3 but of course its all down to opinion. Just because its newer doesn't always mean its better.

A M3 is a nice car to drive around in, considerably quicker and better handling than a S3 and alot more involving (proper drivers car), looks is opinion. May not be as nice a quality car inside but its no Ford isi plus it will probably have more toys than most spec ed S3 lol.

We have 2 cheap cars in my close family and all we do is MOT and Tax them each year and they cost nothing to maintain, literally. With regards to driving a diesel it all depends on your daily travel to work. If you worked 10 miles away ye a diesel is pointless but if your work place is 40+ mileage away, I would have a M3 as a evening/weekend toy for myself.

With depreciation I think S3 will drop a lot when the newer S3 comes out in 2013 and you have lost 2k already in 6 months, doesnt sound good to me.

Its all down to opinion and want you want but with regards to the thread I would rather have a cheaper car and have grands of cash spare which is why I dont think they are worth the money at the moment.

Last edited:
Sell them all and you will be a rich man lol

Being able to do your own maintenance does make a massive difference.

Nattie, I never said because its newer it's better..... that would be extremely childish of me to take that viewpoint.

I am fully aware that people on here are driving around in 7 year old cars, and you correctly pointed out that I did too.... I also drove an 'H' Rover as my first car, should this mean that I won't want to upgrade at any point in the future from that? your logic isn't logical...

Also I'd beg to differ that an older M3 would wipe the floor with my tin pot stage 1 8P - comon, you know about these things, stupid comment to make! Also I do love all this talk about 'proper drivers car' like your going to be driving it like you would around a track on public roads, makes me laugh :) an 02 plate M3 against my 8P S3...... yeah I can see how your drawing a comparison

My point was that as an all round car and for 20k you'll be hard pressed to find something similar, all you have done above is show how your willing to mediate and 'put' up with an old Golf for your daily driver (the most time you'll spend in your car, the drive to and from work!!) to have an old M3 for the weekend. I'd be willing to bet that most on here if they had 20k to spend on a car will go for something more upto date than they currently have, with more different toys and features....otherwise you've just spent 20k for nothing!!

As for toys, I think you'll find comparing the bits on an 8L versus 8P will land you in trouble, the options list is far more advanced...sure I only have a crappy LED RNS-E which is **** by market standards, but add in the subtle touches which make newer cars, even standard equipment and how functional it is - You can take off the electric seats, lack of lumbar... but then if i went into the little touches the 8P has from out of the box, what parts have been re-engineered etc......its no contest.

Take this from me having owned both and being completely impartial....I will not be going back to an 8L, I loved my dolphin grey beast!! but this car with all it's faults is a much nicer car to live with.....this may sound really stuck and apologies if it sounds the wrong way but that is my thoughts on the subject, end of. Go get one for a month, live with it long enough to discover all the extras that aren't immediately obvious when you sit in it at the dealer, the bits no manual or car magazine will write - then get to know the power bands and how driveable it is, I could go on....

ps - you have a point on the depreciation, but then what car doesnt depreciate..... the price you pay for having the latest 'thing'. But thats not what its all about - if it was then new cars simply would not sell

Don't both the above cost a silly amount to Tax?

The older 8P1s i believe are cheaper on tax than the 8P2 3.2 and MK5 R32 but all above something silly £400+

I would go for the C5 RS6 and buy warranty with the change

This man talks sense. C5 RS6:wub:

If you buy either i will disown you :laugh: I can put up with the 135i. But not the other to, i like the E46 M3 just could never own one

Nattie, I never said because its newer it's better..... that would be extremely childish of me to take that viewpoint.

I am fully aware that people on here are driving around in 7 year old cars, and you correctly pointed out that I did too.... I also drove an 'H' Rover as my first car, should this mean that I won't want to upgrade at any point in the future from that? your logic isn't logical...

Saying buying a M3 will still get you a decade old car with a decade old technology.... So what its still a very good car.

Also I'd beg to differ that an older M3 would wipe the floor with my tin pot stage 1 8P - comon, you know about these things, stupid comment to make! Also I do love all this talk about 'proper drivers car' like your going to be driving it like you would around a track on public roads, makes me laugh :) an 02 plate M3 against my 8P S3...... yeah I can see how your drawing a comparison

Didnt say it would wipe the floor and was referring to standard v standard even though I wouldnt be surprised if a M3 would still have the legs on a mapped S3. You dont have to drive flat out in a car to enjoy it and feel involved and have fun. S3 8L and 8P are so boring and lack involvement but thats me opinion. Before my S3 i used to often go find some nice country roads and mountain passes on the weekend to enjoy my car a bit more in a more enjoyable and safer environment but I dont bother with the S3 because its so boring and no involvement/feel at all for me which the 8P is very similar in that area. Dont need a track for that.

My point was that as an all round car and for 20k you'll be hard pressed to find something similar, all you have done above is show how your willing to mediate and 'put' up with an old Golf for your daily driver (the most time you'll spend in your car, the drive to and from work!!) to have an old M3 for the weekend. I'd be willing to bet that most on here if they had 20k to spend on a car will go for something more upto date than they currently have, with more different toys and features....otherwise you've just spent 20k for nothing!!

If you didnt have to drive far to and from work it would be pointless with a diesel but its an option if you do. I used public transport to travel 45mile everyday and I dont mind doing it. Dont rack up mileage on my S3 and its even nicer when I get to drive it and enjoy it when I did. Whats your obsession with it being old. SO WHAT its not as new as your OVER PRICED S3. If you read similar threads on here alot have mentioned OLD models RS4, OLD models RS6's as an upgrade to a 8L S3.

As for toys, I think you'll find comparing the bits on an 8L versus 8P will land you in trouble, the options list is far more advanced...sure I only have a crappy LED RNS-E which is **** by market standards, but add in the subtle touches which make newer cars, even standard equipment and how functional it is - You can take off the electric seats, lack of lumbar... but then if i went into the little touches the 8P has from out of the box, what parts have been re-engineered etc......its no contest.

Didnt compare 8P to 8L with regards to toys. Saying that, the only option I would definitely have if I wanted a 8P is the buckets and Nav, not bothered about anything else.

Take this from me having owned both and being completely impartial....I will not be going back to an 8L, I loved my dolphin grey beast!! but this car with all it's faults is a much nicer car to live with.....this may sound really stuck and apologies if it sounds the wrong way but that is my thoughts on the subject, end of. Go get one for a month, live with it long enough to discover all the extras that aren't immediately obvious when you sit in it at the dealer, the bits no manual or car magazine will write - then get to know the power bands and how driveable it is, I could go on....

Thread isn't about if its better car, its about if its worth the money. Most members on this section probably plan to upgrade to a 8P WHEN they think they are worth the price. 8P S3 is a better car but not worth 15k plus than a 8L IMO. Ive driven a few and they are nice to drive and be in as Ive mentioned above plus my mates got a stage 2+ which is very impressive and I agree they feel better than a 8L no doubt but they still bore the crap out of me sorry and not worth the price. I would rather get a ED30 if I wanted a modern VAG hot hatch as I feel the S3 isnt worth the price at the moment for a nice spec ed facelift model. Im planning on buy a 18-20k car soon and I feel Its overall a better modern car than a 8P S3. This is obviously an opinion and personal choice but I think for the money I think there are better modern cars out there.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: