Is the 2.7 TDI the most reliable engine?

Big A

Reaction score
I'm currently thinking about getting an auto A6 avant (2005-08), and after a fair bit of research it would appear that the 2.0 TDI is a ticking time bomb, and the CVT auto box is made of chocolate. The 3.0 TDI looks to be prone to injector problems, so is the 2.7 TDI Quattro with the multi-tronic box the most reliable engine and auto option or are there likely problems with these too?

Seems trying to find a reliable modern car isn't that easy as it used to be.

I believe the 2.7 TDI suffer from the same injector issues as the 3.0 TDI, They are essentially the same engine with detail differences.
The multitronic gearbox is a CVT gearbox and they are both unreliable.
Any 4WD car will have a tiptronic box.
I would go for a 2007 or later 3.0 TDI as these have the Tiptronic auto with 4WD and AFAIK the injector issues don't seem to affect 2007 or later vechicles.

Thanks for the info, thought the 2.7 might suffer the same as the 3.0.

Sorry, I meant the s-tronic/tiptronic box, being the Quattro. Looked at A4's as well and know the multitronic in them isn't great too.

Preferred the 2.7 for the road tax saving, as the 3.0tdi of same age is £499 a year tax compared to £260 for the 2.7.

Looks like I might be sticking with BMW and maybe a 5 Series touring, which is a pity as really like the A6 Avant.

You've talked yourself out of a superb Audi A6 3.0 Avant quattro for less than £20 extra a month !

Maybe, but not spending £500 a year to drive on the roads the state that they are in, especially when I can get a 3.0 diesel 5 series for £225 a year tax and with greater fuel economy. Was just that I really liked the feel of the A6 after being in a 2.7 tdi Le Mans.